• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

** Provisional Trip Details - World Museum Aquarium Liverpool **

What Frags are you bringing on the day out?

• Softy Frags

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • LPS Frags

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • SPS Frags

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Live Sand / Mud

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Registered
Due to the fact my bladder was about to explode thats the longest speech I've ever sat through Hysterical

screwloose

Registered
quite a few names on ther incorrect Paul....:rolleyes:

the one it says carlosbaldos on left,,,he is on right, and Dave ( heller ) on left

Turner is Yellow shirt, sunglasses on his head,

the one you have said is Turner, is Paul ( 4head)

where you say rabbut on right,, he is on left, and james Firth on right ;)

:)

PaulTys

Registered
quite a few names on ther incorrect Paul....:rolleyes:

the one it says carlosbaldos on left,,,he is on right, and Dave ( heller ) on left

Turner is Yellow shirt, sunglasses on his head,

the one you have said is Turner, is Paul ( 4head)

where you say rabbut on right,, he is on left, and james Firth on right ;)

:)

Apologies about Turner, but the left and right depends on if you mean your left as you look at it, or their left as they look at you!!! Ill edit the names to make it clearer!!

Funkymonkey

Registered
look like Im clearing the room on the pic of me :lol: what did I say :lol:

Nice pic from the back, thats what I like good man paul Big Thumbs Up

screwloose

Registered
cheers Nev what a Dude! I'll be sure to dress up next time didnt realise their would be so many fashionista's at a Museum Reef meet!

Smell wasnt me, that was Debs whos just out of shot :whistling:

lol..yer coulda been deb's...although i have heard she has gone back to weekly washes now :lol:

PaulTys

Registered
Just to let you know I will get round to putting the talk up here for everyone.

Also, We had 75names down but at least 20 people not turn up on the day.

If any of you that didnt turn up or we have any one new who would like to donate to the project and have a nosey round behind the scenes in return then please continue to let me know. If we can arrange small groups even better.

So anyone who does want a look round behind the scenes at the aquarium PM me and well see what we can do.

Also, those of you that did donate I hope you know you are welcome to have a nosey to see how were getting on whenever you want, again just give me some notice so we can arrange times etc.

Cheers.

deb+wayne

Registered
Just to let you know I will get round to putting the talk up here for everyone.

Also, We had 75names down but at least 20 people not turn up on the day.

If any of you that didnt turn up or we have any one new who would like to donate to the project and have a nosey round behind the scenes in return then please continue to let me know. If we can arrange small groups even better.

So anyone who does want a look round behind the scenes at the aquarium PM me and well see what we can do.

Also, those of you that did donate I hope you know you are welcome to have a nosey to see how were getting on whenever you want, again just give me some notice so we can arrange times etc.

Cheers.
gonna call up again paul when we get chance.
will bring some frags to :)

heller792

Registered
i was there today pal and all the corals looked great, plenty of baseing out and the blue stag is looking great. Most of the pink hystrix is a cracking shade of purple too. I find hystrix is the first coral to loose its colour when things go wrong

descb600f

Registered
Is there any chance of pictures. It would be good to see how there all doing and how much they have changed.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

PaulTys

Registered
Hi All,

Sorry I havent been back to you or very active on here last couple of weeks. Ive been moving house so Ive not been in work and not had the internet at home (and wont have for a little while longer )I will get some photos up as soon as I can.

Thanks Heller for your comments, as he says they are now looking great. We did have a few issues though which ill go through now.

We started off with cheap salt, a mistake I wont make again. I was hoping that using the calcium reactor with dolomite for a few weeks prior to the event would boost the cal, mag and alk up to desirable levels. Unfortunately it didnt, the alkalinity shot up and magnesium and calcium didnt.

So once the corals were in lots of trpic marin Bio Mag was used to boost the magnesium.
Kalwasser was used to maintain alk and calcium levels.
And calcium chloride was used to boost calcium without also raising alkalinity.

Finally and probably most importnantly we bought some H2Ocean salt and have done lots of water changes so parameters are now good, and the calcium reactor is now back on to maintain things.

We also had problems with phosphates coming through our RO unit. The phosphates in our tap water are very high. We now have 3lt mixed bed DI pods after the RO unit to clear the phosphate away.

The cheato and caulerpa beds in the system are really taking off and so the phosphates are dropping and are about 0.16mg/l down from 0.64mg/l just after the corals went in!!! Hoping that they will continue to drop over the next few weeks. Ive actually avoided using Rowaphos too much as I really want to establish good algal growth and hope that long term we dont need any additional phosphate removal. As you saw we are lucky enough to have lots of algal refugium space so Im hoping it wont be necessary.

On Chris D recomendation we are now using 125W CFL bulbs at 6500K for our cheato and the growth has taken off nicely.

As a result of the parameters being off we did see some bleaching in the blue stag that Heller is reffering to above. We quickly cut off that particular branch and now he is doing really well with lovely purple growing tips.

The montiporas have put down approx 0.5 - 1cm of growth around the edge and all in all Im very happy with how they are now looking and doing.

After writing this Ive just realised that it is probably time to start a tank thread so once Ive caught up in work and got some photos Ill start a new, Salty Box World Museum tank thread and we can then close this thread off.

Speak soon,

Paul.

p.s as always if any of you want to come in and see for yourself how the corals are doing please just PM. They are your corals after all and I wont hide anything from you, good or bad so you are always welcome.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.