1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured protien skimmers.....

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by warby, Dec 4, 2014.

1. warby

warby Registered

my tmc v2 600 skimmer died on me today stopped producing microbubbles and is now producing big bubbles (think of blowing through a straw in water) its 12months 3 weeks old so just out of warranty might try my lfs see if they will warrant it but they may not do......
    so my question is what skimmer do i get next iv had 2 tmc ones so far and have read they arnt that good e.t.c. havnt got alot of spare cast at the minute with xmas coming up.
    been looking at the new coralbox d300 or d500 but there new so not many reviews also the bubble magus range or is there any others you would recommend?

tank size 300l water volume (exc sand rock e.t.c.)

2. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

For me: Bubble Magus

3. nozzer

nozzer Registered

As Rodger says bubble magus all the way even if a little more expensive than your looking at you won't be disappointed

4. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Plenty of "pre loved" ones available as well..................

5. warby

warby Registered

this is what my skimmer is doing.....its in the sink at the minute but was exactly the same in the tank...... [MENTION=18127]StarfishEnterprise[/MENTION] the video :(

[media

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017
  6. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

doesnt appear to be much flow going through it or maybe just the lack of air being drawn in. Usual issue is the airline is blocked with salt creep or calcium deposits. Or the pumps impeller is dirty and restraining it. If you have serviced the pump and cleared out the air inlet port then id bin it and buy a real skimmer lmao

7. warby

warby Registered

Pump.cleaned out soaked in white vinegar so its clean. Same with skimmer.....im tempted by that new ish one from fish street it gets some good reviews (coral box o e with the jebao pump)

8. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Bubble Magus (cone design), Tunze, Deltec, would be the three I would recommend, all of these you can get second hand from one source or another, I wouldn't go with lesser brands as they normally fail to do the job they are designed for, so you end up with problems and will probably end up buying a better one like above anyway.

As for the problem with the skimmer you have, I would say the seal on the pump where the air is being drawn in has probably failed, so your getting more water being pulled in than air or the needle wheel/propeller is not breaking up the air in to the smaller bubbles, have you tried to reduce/block/turn down the air inlet pipe to see if the smaller bubbles appear? if it does then its probably the needle wheel/propeller that has gone.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  9. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

i could be wrong here but pretty sure the TMC skimmers dont have needle wheels etc the video posted will show Venturi inlet.

10. warby

warby Registered

Nope they don't have needle wheel. Been looking closely at the coral.box and it appears to be the same design as the bubble magus......not buying a new bubble magus for £170 ill get shot haha. Will have to trawl the net see what I can find :)

is it me or are these the same? lol
    bubble magus coralbox.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  11. Eyore

Eyore Guest

in truth bubble magus would be a lesser brand

all the chinese types look similar to me and far overrated for their size
    though i have to be honest and say the gate design looks about as flimsey as it gets on the coral box

12. warby

warby Registered

you could always not use the gate then it would be the same as the bubble magus lol. iv watched a few vidoes on people building them and they look strong tbh.

i have been told and read that the dc pumps offer to many variables but im not in to much of a rush going to do more reading before i make a choice im sure the tank will be fine without one for a week or two.

why do you say the bubble magus is a lesser brand by the way? i thought they where up there with the likes of deltec?

13. Eyore

Eyore Guest

you need some kind of restriction on the gate otherwise too much water escapes the skimmer and you wont skim at all

some are wedge design whereby a pipe with a wedge cut rotates in front of a circular exit hole- creating a bigger or smaller escape aparture

the other common way is z gate valve which you turn again to restrict the waters esxape aparture

in theory the gate sounds superior but in praxtice i find it can catch mulm or a bit of algae far easier, restrict flow and spray your lovely cabinet in wood warping steel corroding salty spray!

the gate valve on that coralbox frankly looks like a childrens toy, and a smashable one at that

dont get me wrong fir the money the smaller bm are good but some of their rating are imo a bit optimistic to say thd least (i also think deltecs are)

but a skimmer can be broken down into the following assessment s-

how big?-
    skimmer width
    skimmer height above the bubble plate to the riser tube
    (ie volume)

air litres per hour?

combine this with the skimmers useful volume (above) and you have an idea of how useful the skimmer really is, any body can stick a number on something

however something few concider- ok the air lph is a lot, but how?? if its a tiny pump with loads of air vs a big pump with loads of air - concider water throughput, it is probably easy to get extra air out of a skimmer pump at the expense of water, but you need water throughput too!

easy for me to say with a 4 figure skimmer though lol

14. warby

warby Registered

Thanks for the info eyore :)

If it was your money what would you go for and why....coral box d300 or bubble magus curve 5.
    Cant go any bigger as first chamber of sump is only 150 x 230mm tmc was hang on so it wasn't an issue

15. Eyore

Eyore Guest

will either of them fit?

tbh if it was my money- neither, however for free the bm lol

16. warby

warby Registered

Yeah they both fit in the 1st chamber. I checked lol.

HM.........well iv got £150 max to it would be new coralbox or second hand bm.........or another brand lol it all gets confusing

17. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

[MENTION=20322]warby[/MENTION] have a look at the Bubble Magus E3, it's a hang on, or sit in the sump, small dimensions and I've found it works really well.

18. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Warby, I have a v2 600 skimmer collecting dust in the spare bedroom, its in reasonable nick if it's any good to you? You would need to collect it from the exchange quay near old Trafford football ground during the week if you want it. I don't want anything for it
    Cheers doug

19. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Iv got the coral box d500 and I can honestly say it's the best skimmer Iv ever owned. It's a very stable skimmer and the gate is actually very good for very fine adjustments. [​IMG]

20. warby

warby Registered

I'll have a look thanks [MENTION=11313]Whipitup[/MENTION] :) why are skimmers such a PITA lol.
    [MENTION=16322]doug_amanda[/MENTION] thanks for the kind offer but I should be able to get one in the new few days :)

Ahhh the milk powered d500 [MENTION=16113]Mayo[/MENTION] lol. Now you made me want to go for the d300, was it easy to set up and get skimming? Also what setting do you have the pump on?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice