1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by damo666, Oct 7, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

Hi all. Quick update on where I'm up to on my upgrade. Tank filled, sand and rock in place. Sump turning over nicely. Added chaeto yesterday. So, skimmers?? I had mine sorted, I thought, a used tmc reef skim 1000 DC. Put it in place to test it. Struggled to lift water high enough, main problem is won't always start up, then runs intermittently. Had it apart for hours, sent it to tmc with a mate who has lfs, they said the pump was "dead"... Not,!!
    With the skimmer being a key component I'm going to buy new, just take the £100 knock as a lesson. I'm asking for opinions as I'm a newbie in the sense only had a tank 16 months and bought all my equipment from my lfs so don't have much experience on the equipment front. The skimmer chamber is 8" deep, and I can fit a skimmer in that has an 8" square footprint. My own personal criteria, in order, are performance, noise, price. Any input wood be really appreciated thanks.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

2. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Deltec all the way for me , slightly expensive compared to others but definitely worth the money

damo666 likes this.
  3. damo666

damo666 Registered

Nice one. I've been pushed towards bubble magus curve 5, octo classic 152f, tune but as usual varying reviews on them all. Wouldn't it be great do be able to "see before you buy" as in up and running instead of boxed? Would also be good if there was an aquatic society near me to have a people to chat with, I'm pretty isolated really, don't have any mates keeping tanks

4. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Where are you when you say isolated ??

I run a deltec 1455 and a deltec 1456 and both very quiet , the only noise I get is occasionally a small gurgle/rush of air but this just reminds me to clean the venturi inlet , but once this is clean it goes silent again

damo666 likes this.
  5. damo666

damo666 Registered

Hi shady. I'm not on an island or anything lol. I live in wallasey, wirral. When I said isolated I more meant no one close by has a reef tank. I'll take a look at the Deltec range.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice