1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Problem Setting Up My External Filter Via Weir

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by pam, Jul 29, 2018.

1. pam

pam Registered

I recently purchased a new tank which came with an external filter free as a special offer, I wasn't told until just before delivery that it had a weir, apparently they were not aware of this as the tank was wrapped up but they said they would provide pipe/connecters so i could set up the external filter via the weir.

Tried this today and it seem to be the weir is not providing enough water to to supply the external filter creating a whirlpool and filling the tank constantly with air bubbles and extremely noisy.

Before i contact the shop again as there has been so many issues with this purchase can anyone advise me if its even possible to set up

thank in advance

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

you wouldnt normally connect an external filter via a sump

the weir would normally connect to a sump

3. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I would very much doubt it’s even possible to attach a filter to a weir and have it work properly for any length of time, even with adjustment valves on the filter pipes,
    ideally you need a sump, pipe work to suit and a return pump, assuming you have space in the cabinet for a sump, then you have the makings of a good marine system.

Which shop have you used? Sounds like they haven’t much of a clue or they’re just trying to fob you off.

4. pam

pam Registered

Thanks for your reply, we have complained to the owner of the store who has now agreed to supply us with a sump and all the pipes required free of charge as we were mislead in the first place, the cabinet is big enough for what we need, they are making a sump to the required size. The company is Maidenhead Aquatics.

5. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Good news, glad you got it sorted:):)

6. jim_fitz

good result xxx

7. pam

pam Registered

Glad we purchased a Reverse Osmosis unit it took 4 days to fill the tank alone. xx

8. jim_fitz

god idea to buy one

worth while investment

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice