1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Please can you help? Im at my wits end.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by pwh101, Oct 24, 2015.

1. pwh101

pwh101 Registered

I’m desperate! I have a 255lt tank and 100lt sump. I have a return pump 3000lph and a hang on Overflow box 2000 lph. I also have a Boyu In sump skimmer.
    One inch live sand, 15kg live rock and a small Refugium. 1 leather small and a purple mushroom. 3 Disp Anthias, 2 Chromis and a Lipstick Tank. Plus a few hermits and turbo's.The tank has been running for around 6 months and its driving me crazy.

All my readings are spot on except for my Nitrate which is at 10. I’m using No-Pox 10ml daily.

Issue 1. I’ve started noticing a white residue on the surface of the tank and on the front glass. It’s starting to stick to the heater in the main tank also. The sump is clear. I’ve had to clean the tank every day last week. When I do clean little white particles flood the tank.

Issue 2. I do weekly clean ups and water change Purchase3d from my Marine shop and rinse the overflow, Pump and Skimmer. I also rinse the media in tank water. After I finish it takes a good 30 minutes to get the overflow and return pump synced even though I’ve not moved or removed anything. I almost threw in the towel tonight. It just seems like a constant battle with almost zero enjoyment.

What am I doing so wrong? Please can anyone give my possible reasons and a few tips would be great to. Cheers.

2. tyger

tyger Registered

...can you post your latest parameter tests?

3. Martyh

Martyh Registered

I would say your system needs 35 kilo of rock for a start as it's a ratio of 1 kilo per 10 litres.

I would also look at adding a pellet reactor this will help.

What's your flow like in your DT you have any extra powerheads

Also check the new supplied water from the LFS for nitrate ;) as I've seen that issue before hence why I make my own water so I know what I'm putting in !

Your tank is also still new and is still maturing.

As above what is your present water parameters

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  4. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Issue 1 is the nopox ... Decrease your dose a little you may get cyano bacteria if you continue at 10 ml you need to skim a bit wetter to get no3 down

What was issue 2 again I don't understand

5. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Don't switch of your pumps dude leave them be ...

What type off overflow do you have ???

6. fritz

fritz Registered

Where do you live? Might be easier if someone comes round.
    I had various trouble when I started but a local lad came round and gave me first hand basic advice.

I I also have a top banana LFS who is always willing to point me in the right direction.

Things like not not selling me stuff because he doesn't think I could keep it!! That's a good LFS.

7. pwh101

pwh101 Registered

Thanks for the advice it’s invaluable. To answer your questions.

My overflow box is at its maximum flow which, according to the instructions is 2000LPH.

I have only one power head running which is breaking the water surface as advised to do by a local fish shop. I have 5 others to add if you think I need to.

With regard to the Reactor, can you recommend one and the best media?

I have some live rock in the sump, around 3kg. I will increase my live rock.

My latest test results using Red Sea Pro reef kits.

NH3/4 0.2 Mg 1540
    NO3 0.0 Ca 420
    NO2 10 KH 4.0 11.2
    PH 8.0

I live in Bolton and would welcome a visit if that’s possible.

I’ve added some pics to help. Cheers. Paul.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      72.1 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      126.6 KB
      Views:
  8. pwh101

pwh101 Registered

Thanks for the advice it’s invaluable. To answer your questions.

My overflow box is at its maximum flow which, according to the instructions is 2000LPH.

I have only one power head running which is breaking the water surface as advised to do by a local fish shop. I have 5 others to add if you think I need to.

With regard to the Reactor, can you recommend one and the best media?

I have some live rock in the sump, around 3kg. I will increase my live rock.

My latest test results using Red Sea Pro reef kits.

NH3/4 0.2 Mg 1540
    NO3 0.0 Ca 420
    NO2 10 KH 4.0 11.2
    PH 8.0

I live in Bolton and would welcome a visit if that’s possible.

I’ve added some pics to help. Cheers. Paul.

9. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Can you alter your flow on your return pump ? Do your overflow box can I have x picture of that

10. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

For now I would stop chasing "Magic Numbers", I would guess the white stuff is a bacteria bloom from the no-pox dosing, nitrate of 10 is not high for what you currently have in the tank, so for me personally I would stop dosing no-pox for the time being and allow the tank to settle and find its natural balance first.

As above I would leave all your flow on, unless you really have to switch any off for a water change, but this is mainly done via your sump anyway, so it maybe a better idea to do a water change in 2 parts (back to back), if you can not remove the water in 1 go.
    I can only guess that when you do your water change your having to switch off the flow due to the water level dropping so much, so instead of doing lets say for example 20 litres in one hit, do a 10 litre change, wait 5-10 minutes, top up 10 litres, then drop another 10 litres, this should keep your water level at a reasonable level, so flow can be left switched on.

This hobby can push you to the limits and beyond and we have all probably felt at one time or another about throwing the towel in, best idea when this happens, is step back, leave the tank for a day, think about why things are happening, and make a plan of action to try and sort out the issue, ask questions on here and get ideas on how to tackle things, work out which is best for you, and then start to implement it.

I have found if you ask yourself questions you will often come up with a solution, for example, Why am I trying to get to 0 nitrates? is 10-20pmm really that bad for now? what can I alter in reality that would or could sort out this or that problem? Am I making things too hard for myself, is there an easier way of doing it? What have I done/added lately that has caused the tank to go white/green/red/ etc... ?

Trial and error is a common thing in this hobby, we are always trying to improve or make things better, but sometimes it is better to leave things as they are and let the tank do its own thing, so we can get a feel of the tank and see exactly what/where the issue is, and then we can approach it and tackle it with a plan.

I would look at running some GAC for now, this will help clear the tank, unless you are planning on running a no-pox system full time, I would stop dosing it, and let the tank settle and mature naturally for now, if you are planning on running no-pox full time, like suggested above, back the dosage down to half and see if that improves it, run the skimmer a little wetter to pull out the extra crud, and try and fine the happy balance.

11. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Nitrates of 10 is fine for fish and your corals

12. warby

warby Registered

Don't worry my tank is currently at 10ppm nitrate due to switching brands of bio pellets. Iv got sps lps and a clam.
    To me the white stuff looks like a bacteria bloom.

Only skim read the thread but what stock have you got?
    And who has told you do dose that much nopox?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  13. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Warby it says on the destructions dose 10 ml until 0 is observed then reduce..

14. Viking

Viking Registered

D'y'know what I'd do? Throw the nitrate test away and leave the tank to run at its own level. As pointed out, chasing magic numbers is a flawed policy, and stability is much better.

For water changes, leave everything running as is and use 2 containers to change water. Siphon out of the main tank into one container, and siphon out of the second container into the sump with fresh water, both at the same time.

And buy an RO machine and salt, make your own water. Christ knows what your LFS is providing you with, but I reckon you'd be better off making your own then you know what's what.

15. tyger

tyger Registered

as [MENTION=14676]Viking[/MENTION] says too many of us chase numbers....My last tank ran at phos. of 3.0 and nitrates of 80+ no algae and everything was balanced all corals had good colours growth and were health as were the fish.

16. Andi

Andi Registered

Yup' I'd defo' junk the nopox & let your tank do it's own thing for a while. I too have had ridiculously high nitrate levels in the past and everything (softies, fish & clams etc.) have all thrived! To much emphasis on low nitrate readings is made IMO in this hobby, YES, if you want to keep SPS then the lower is better I'm led to believe at first, personally, I believe in feeding my fish well (scandalous I know!!!!) so I've never even tried SPS! My nitrate levels are always high but everything seems quite happy. I have tried nopox myself a while ago but found I was getting some strange looking algae or bacterial blooms, so I stopped! Main thing is don't panic!

17. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

10ml of nopox appears to be high for a tank of that size and stock. Where nopox seems to work is alongside energy a&b as you are reducing nit & phos whilst feeding corals so you have a balance but still need to start low and increase with bioload.

As already said the level of nutrients should be determined by what you plan to stock.

18. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

try turning the flow down from your sump a bit if your return pump is adjustable
    for me a lot of people's flow through there sump is too quick

19. Tango

Tango Registered

I too would stop the nopox, your tank looks very very new int he pic. Unless you know exactly what your doing I wouldnt be using it either.
    I also agree with letting the tank naturally settle and balance out.
    I would not personally be too worried about the nitrates at 10ppm if tank was stocked, but I have to say that considering your low bioload I am surprised at it being 10.
    Def check your water source.
    Wondering what test kits you might be using too ?

20. pwh101

pwh101 Registered

Thank you all for your invaluable help. I can now say there is less steam coming from my ears and less head scratching. I've stopped dosing and as you rightly suggested the blooms have disappeared. I will also take up the water change in two stages. I'm also going to let the tank take control and as advised if the inhabitants look happy the tank is doing ok.
    I'm going to add and run a reactor, but am unsure whether to run just Carbon or two thirds carbon one third GFO. If anyone can offer any suggestions that would be great. Once again many thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice