1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Planning My First Tank

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by S7ewie, Jul 14, 2019.

1. S7ewie

S7ewie Registered

Hey all,

Having a marine tank has always been a dream of mine. I’ve looked into it a few times now to get ideas of costs and other bits and bobs but I never got around to doing it due to various other life things getting in the way. I want to have another look at again now to see what’s changed, look at some options and get some ideas. I’ve only kept freshwater fish in the past. I’m predominantly a reptile keeper.

When I first looked into it I got overexcited with the variety of gorgeous marine fish out there, I found that once I started looking at things like tangs, the tank size started to get very very big. I also love puffers so my dream was to have one of them but after learning that they need a lot of space, they’re very messy, aren’t good with corals and can be quite territorial i had to push that one aside. I looked at GSPs recently too as a smaller puffer that start in brackish and eventually move to saltwater but they have similar drawbacks.

Thinking about it again now I think I’d just like to focus on a smaller tank with some nice corals, some clowns, some inverts and maybe a couple of other smaller fish. Maybe something around 200 litres. I really like the cube shaped ones like the Juwel Lido. I’ve seen some really nice setups with cool formations of live rock in the centre with lots of nice corals. If I remember rightly it was the Red Sea tanks that were considered the best before, is that still the case? It seems they also do max versions that come with most of what you need and a rear sump and then the reefer with a cabinet sump where you set pretty much everything up yourself. What do you recommend? Last time I looked, I think they only did the reefers so I don’t think they did any lighting. How do they compare to other top brands?

I’ll focus on the finer details later but I want to start with tanks. Is 200 litres suitable for a few clowns and a couple other things? I’m not worrying about bigger things like tangs this time around. Just looking for inspiration around the 200 litre mark. Would be very interested to see other people’s setups around that size.

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

red sea have a great reputation
    and i would recommend whatever you get
    get one with a sump

depending where you live try to get a good local shop and go in at a quieter time for a chat
    they may have a tank builder that could make something to order
    this may work out cheaper

200 l would be a good size
    though you need to think long and hard about it and where you hope to end up
    lots of people end up upgrading to a bigger tank
    might make better sense to go straight to a 400 l

3. S7ewie

S7ewie Registered

Thanks Jim_fitz

Yeah I was thinking of going reefer and doing everything else myself. I’m leaning towards the 250 now as it’s more rectangular. I love the cube ones but I think the rectangle ones might give me a bit more space for gear below.

To be honest I just don’t have the space for a 400 l, and I think if I did go down that route then I might have to skip on some of the other bits to save money which I’d rather not do.

I need to work out where my best local shop is.

4. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

a good shape is worth its weight in gold

roughly where are you

5. S7ewie

S7ewie Registered

Suffolk, UK

6. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

I can't help with shops near you, I'm afraid, but just wanted to say anything is possible, as long as you're realistic with what you want to put in it.

I started with a 70L tank with no sump. I had a hang-on TMC skimmer, internal filter and a couple of aqua-rays for lighting. I was still able to keep a couple of clowns, couple of other small fish, shrimp, urchin and a mix of soft and LPS corals. I decided to upgrade to a 400L tank after about 3 years, but it was a relatively inexpensive way to learn. And I still have the 70L in case I ever need an emergency / quarantine tank...

Most important thing is to do your research (sounds like you're already doing that!) and take it slowly with plenty of water testing, especially as your tank starts to mature.

Keep us posted!
    Ade

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. hillie

hillie Registered

How's it coming along S7? Have you made any progress?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice