1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Phosphates The bain of my life

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by stevebibby, Feb 18, 2010.

1. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

At my wits end with this one and looking for some pointers as to whats going wrong.
    My reefs been running for around a year in its current form and previous to that another 32 years prior to me moving house and the tank.

I had a spike in phosphates around 3 months ago and my coral stock is not looking good at all.
    Using tank Tests XS phos remover in a reactor (changed 2 weeks ago) but instead of going down they are going up.
    I've checked the RO water unsalted and salted both read 0 on salifer test kit. The only thing that I am dosing regularly is bicarb of soda to maintain dKH levels mixed in RO water again this is reading 0 on the tests.
    I've cut down on the amout of food going into the system which for info is pellets and flake to once a day.

On Monday the phosphate where at 0.1, last night they had gone up to 0.25

Any ideas?
    Steve

2. anguilla82

anguilla82 Registered

can't really understand why that may be?

what test kit are u using and is it still within teh use by date (if it has one?)

it doesn't sound like you're adding any phosphate into the system (i.e. through water changes or frozen food) so its a bit odd, especially if you're runninga reactor as well.

3. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Date on test kit is Jan 2011

4. rabbut

rabbut Registered

How long has the test kit been open?

5. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

I'd ditch the tank tests phosphate remover, i had nothing but problems with it and i know of a few others too. Get some rowaphos and im sure your level will start to drop

6. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Been a while, probably over a year got maybe 4-5 tests left in it

7. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Yeah thats my thoughts but can work out why the levels are increasing, that's my main worry in all this as my SPS are browning off and loosing polyps.

8. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Another quick question
    Anyone using the liquid phosphate remover and what sort of results are you getting?

Steve

9. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

I used the liquid stuff to lower my levels initially, then when the levels were low i started using the rowaphos.
    The liquid stuff is probabaly the only tank tests phosphate remover id touch
    Rob

10. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Have you thought about Vodka ? or some other form of Carbon dosing [001_cool.gif]

you have an NO3 of 10 ppm ? and Phosphates in a mature tank, by feeding the bacteria you may get the results you want [001_smile.gif]
    LINK viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2254

Think swapping to RowaPhos could be an answer as well [thumbup1.gif]

11. rabbut

rabbut Registered

A year old test kit could well be dodgy. Usually, they do 6 month when opened, less if stored in a warm, damp or place in direct sunshine. Might be worth cracking open a new kit to double check your readings...

Vodka Dosing is one option

A change of Phosphate remover is another.

Do you make your own RO? If so, I bet you have a DI pod don't you? You could, if so, remove the DI pod and carbon dose that way. A correctly functioning membrane will only really output Organic Carbon, so the DI is just removing bacteria food basically. A correctly functioning membrane with output water with a TDS that's 1/100th of the tap water reading. Any higher and your going to need a new membrane (as you would with a DI pod really), but at or less than that reading and removal of the DI pod is safe [027.gif] It's simpler and slightly less risky than dosing Vodka or other carbon sources also [001_smile.gif]

12. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Running a small bag of activated carbon in the sump aready and dosing the system with biodigest.

Think it's a change back to rowa.
    Would dosing vodka help or is it doing the same funtion as the biodigest?

13. markyt

markyt Registered

i wouldn't touch anything from them.

sea-klear is as good as the same but a lot stronger so needs diluting with ro water and works.
    Lanthanum chloride (sea klear) is showing some good results over the pond if used in small amounts dosed throughout the day / little and often.

I'll be ordering some sea-klear in the near future to give it a try with some 32" 5 micron filter socks i found on ebay to collect all the Po4 as it precipitates out of the water :D

14. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Biodigest is supplementing the Nitrogen cycle bacteria. so no its not the same

if you decide on Vodka, you would not use Biodigest or phosphate remover initialy

the Nitrates and Phosphates will fall as will the dKH of the water with Vodka
    the bacteria you are feeding will use all three as food sources
    eventually you will be left with a little NO3 or NO4 (you seldom will archive a perfect balance)
    at this point you can reintroduce one or the other as required

In my tank the Nitrates fell to 0 which left me with a little phosphate, for which I am using Rowaphos
    as the bacteria had used up all the NO3 the PO4 would not drop any lower with just Vodka
    it all about balance really [001_smile.gif]

15. JonMidReefs

JonMidReefs Registered

You could try our Reef Scientific Phosphate remover - as used by public aquaria and John & Cam's Bali Reef, seen in a recent UltraMarine review. I dropped off a sack yesterday :)

It's the same basic ingredient as Tropic Marin ElimiPhos Longlife and the PhosBan from 2 Little Fishes. The difference is ours is pellitised, not granular and we also sieve out the fines, giving you more usable media for your money.

16. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

I must say for the little time I did use this ( Stopped running reactor due to pump breaking [031.gif] ) I did see my Phosphates drop a fair bit . I have a new pump now and some more Phos remover on the way so I should be running again once I have done the tank move [thumbup.gif]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice