1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

phos and carbon mixture for reactor.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Turner, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Turner

Turner Registered

Hi all. Does anybody mix rowa and carbon in a reactor? I have seen a link on tank tests site that they got a mixed product and was wandering if anybody has used it? Or anything else simular it is listed as....

HC Phos 'n' DOC Remover.

I know that there other stuff is good as ive used them b4 for mag and kh.

2. woody5371

woody5371 Registered

Phos and doc used this and found it good tanktest ask dave he'll sort you out Big Thumbs Up

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

Seachem do seagel which is the same thing a mix of both

4. dle1232003

dle1232003 Registered

mr dave is your guy for info on this stuff off tank tests website, he give me some info for it and i think at some point i'll be moving to it, so be nice if you kept us up to date on here with how you got on if you do use it

5. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I am using this after Ged gave me some.
    My phosphates are negligible so cannot test that part but the tank is looking clearer.
    I normally suggest you run both separately because they both have different saturation points depending on your tank but if it's cheap then I would give it a go.
    I run it in a bag and just give it a shake every day or so.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  6. CarlaWard

CarlaWard Registered

I have been looking at using the seachem stuff and adding it to a phosban 150 instead of having two reactors but wasn't sure it would work

7. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

I have used both seachem and chemi pure elite in a bag and didn't think the phos media was as good as using it on its own may be different in a reactor be good to find out

8. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

I mix Reef Scientific Carbon and GFO when the Po4 goes over 0.03 and run in a reactor

you can also purchase it ready mixed from Reef Scientific

9. Turner

Turner Registered

Cheers for all the input. A few options open:)

10. CarlaWard

CarlaWard Registered

Can you use to much phos remover?

I have today bought a phosban 150 and was going to try the seachem stuff mention but was still going to leave a bag of carbon and rowa phos in one of the back chambers.

11. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

You can pull down the Po4 too fast for the corals to adjust and the dKH/Ph can also drop if the Po4 is high

the reason is the Phosphate is bound to the Carbonate (KH) and is in turn bound to the Phosphate absorber

The carbonate was not available to the corals anyway, when you do a test for dKH the kit wont know if the carbonate its bound to Phosphate or not

always test Ph/Kh when using Po4 absorber for the first time :-d 1st 24 hours is the crucial time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice