1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Ph pen/meter

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Jul 12, 2017.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

Been trolling through the internet looking for a way of monitoring my ph accurately, I'm colour deficient and have always had trouble in confidently reading test kit results. Does anyone use/could recommend a reasonably priced pen or meter please, thanks.

2. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Not sure if you can buy a Probe mate. [MENTION=20322]warby[/MENTION] might help here. interesting if you can.
    I Have problems with eyesight :(

3. Scott

Scott Registered

Hanna ph checker around £70 digital readout very accurate [MENTION=11655]LittleOcean[/MENTION]

4. Scott

Scott Registered

Or you can get a ph controller and probe for real time readings

5. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Should have known about that. got alk and phos checker. might get one of them :)

6. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Cant see any on site

7. damo666

damo666 Registered

Cheers Scott........I'm really gonna open up a can of worms soon. It's clear I don't have the knowledge to select the kit I'm going to need for my new tank with sump. So, I'm going to throw it open to the forum for a list of the kit that's NEEDED, not desired, then from there select the most affordable option of each for me. I'm a joiner and have my eye on tools that cost triple what some of mine cost, and largely I'm using Bosch Professional, I just can't justify the cost of the others. I know it's going to be the same story with the tank. I'm guessing lighting will be my biggest outlay equipment wise?

8. les

les Registered

I paid £50 I think it was, easy to calibrate with the replaceable probe.

$_12 (1).JPG

9. Scott

Scott Registered

Start when you have the tank pal so we know what we are working with

10. Scott

Scott Registered

Or look for a full system sale keep what you need sell off what you dont thats the most cost effective way

11. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

That looks good les. this is the one I have been looking at.
    [​IMG]

12. damo666

damo666 Registered

I'll bear that in mind, thanks Scott.
    Les, do you have a brand name or link pls, thanks

13. warby

warby Registered

ph? don't monitor mine apart from when i started dosing core 7 as I was asked what it was at due having a balance issue with my alk so I had a seneye and just got a slide to monitor for a while. it is what it is you can do more harm then good adjusting up and down all the time.
    current tank was running 8.26 on seneye. my old tank ran at 7.8-8.0 with no issues until I tried buffering then the more I read into it the general advice was leave it alone or try other methods to lower the amount of co2 in the water such as a co2 scrubber on your skimmer, more surface movement for better gas exchange.

damo stick up a question in help and advise and people will give you there ordered testing methods and you can pick and choose from the different replies.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

14. damo666

damo666 Registered

Thanks Warby. Just to be clear I wasn't looking to start adjusting anything, I was basically looking for a more accurate way of keeping an eye on what it is to monitor if anything suddenly changes. As said I have trouble reading the colour charts accurately. The kh, mag tests are easy not relying on comparing colours. Fortunately, from what I've seen so far, I'm getting a stable reading, could be 8.1, could be 8.3 lol, but at least it is stable.

15. spiritwalker

spiritwalker Registered

IMG_1960.jpg I bought a cheap pen type ph checker for my pond of bay . When I check it against marine tank it's always almost spot on test kit will say 8.1 pen says 8 and ph probe after just calibrating for my apex says 7.9 I never count on it as my only source of checking but it's a quick guide . I have hydroponics 7 solution to calibrate it and it's not needed any tweaking in two years so I'm confident it's pretty accurate for a cheap tool .looks like photo

16. spiritwalker

spiritwalker Registered

Mine wasn't that expensive also think I paid 7.99 that's first pic I found

17. warby

warby Registered

the point I was trying to get across was there isn't much point in testing it as you can't really do alot with it if that makes sense? yeah you can add buffers but then you end up with swings which arnt good for the inhabitants.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

18. damo666

damo666 Registered

Ok Warby, I understand what you're saying, thanks. Whilst we're mentioning buffering, I checked my kh with my salifert kit last night, got a result of 10.9dkh, is that within an acceptable range?

19. Scott

Scott Registered

10.9 is a little high for more sensitive coral but still within parameter range of 7-12 for soft and some lps corals. I can guarantee your using a PRO salt with a reading that high as PRO salts put your cal in at 500 mag in at 450 and kh in at 12 (estimates but not far off) the general sweet spot for most coral is in or around 8.

If you change to an ordinary reef salt or basic reef salt it puts cal in around 420 mag 1260 and kh 8.... closer to natural seawater levels and that is generally more accepted as being great for the large majority of coral

20. damo666

damo666 Registered

Very astute Scott!! Started off with Red Sea coral Pro salt ( strange instructions....do not mix for more than 4hrs?). When I ran out and went for more none in stock, so was given TMC pro salt. Did ask wether changing salts mattered, was advised they're all the same, suspect now that's not entirely accurate? So, now you have me intrigued so you're gonna have to elaborate please. What is Pro in salt terms, and leading on from that what salt is looked upon as being a good sound choice, think I paid £65 last time. I guess this is relative to where you buy it from, I tend as far as possible to support my local stores.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice