1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured PERCULAR goings on in hornsea

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by kevinda, Apr 4, 2012.

1. kevinda

kevinda Registered

were do i start?
    i have been into marines for just over a year and have taken a very basic no frills approach to this hobby,practising good husbandry,good r.o,quality salt:whistling:,rowa,carbon,10%weekly waterchanges.
    i have joined a local reef club(christalclearwatersBig Thumbs Up)
    chris,members of club and you guys have been invaluable to me learning and improving existing knowledge of fishkeeping and enabling me to progress on with my upgrade IMAG0040.jpg

this has been under wraps for weeks due to two reasons the living room had to be decorated(still to be finishedsmiley-sex020) and me being made redundant 2 days later:frustrated:
    thanks to all the support from my fantastic wife and over enthusiastic 5 year old son this project is going to carry-on-regardless:-d
    IMAG0041.jpg so here it is one 18 month old aquamedic perc 90 which i got from a local reefer who works at k.k.c importers for a very reasonable £175 it is in fantastic condition with only a few scratches to the glass.
    IMAG0042.jpg as you can see it came with the stock skimmer and it's ocean runnner 2500 pump,3xaquamedic pf1000 pumps,visitherm 300 watt heater.
    the only thing that wasn,t included was the lighting.........
    IMAG0043.jpg IMAG0044.jpg this is an aqua one mg600 150 watt halide unit+2x24 watt blue power compact t5.
    good unit but they are very expensive to run......
    but this unit has been modified with an electronic ballast which halves the watts used and makes the bulbs last longer:-d
    this was picked up for £80 of whipitup Big Thumbs Uplast year.
    he even managed free delivery for me by hazeyBig Thumbs Up
    it's friendly support like this that has really helped me drive this upgrade on.
    so next on my list to get is a phosban 150 reactor,auto top up,decent powerhead mp10wes???

i will update this thread regular with photo's of progress for you guys as without you and this forum and chris at cristal clear waters none of this would be possibleWorship

2. Neil

Neil Registered

looking forward to lots of pictures as I cant read LOL

3. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Nice start to what looks to be a good tank diary.................Big Thumbs Up

4. kevinda

kevinda Registered

cheers guys just a taster of whats to come!
    i'm hoping this tank will run as problem free as my last.
    it's killing me keeping it covered up in the conservatory but due to funds and waiting for my brother-in-law to help lay the laminate,fix new skirtings/door architrive's it is moving a lot slower than it should be.
    i intend to keep a bit more lps,r.b.t.a(from a split of a friend),possible mandarin obviously at a later date.
    lightings going to be the biggest upgrade believe it or not as i only have 2x18 watts of lighting at present!!!!!
    i have never really done much with my first reef tank other than a few basic corals but being in a reef club has it's advantages timo brought a load of sps "twigs" and gave some to everyoneBig Thumbs Up
    it's amazing the offers of help you get,loans of tanks(birchy),frags,full corals,fish from some of the most friendliest people you could wish to meet.

5. avangels

avangels Registered

have you thought about making your auto top up? Could save you loads. i'm pondering it at the moment :)

6. Neil

Neil Registered

Done there is a sticky in the DIY section

7. bigguy

bigguy Registered

looking forward to another tank thread
    yep great being in a club ;) did not go for any of the free frags as i am just getting rid of the nasty hair algae ;) thanks to the sea hare

8. 8birchy10

8birchy10 Registered

Good start kev and nice write up.
    How long do you rekon for completion? Or is that a how longs a piece of string question

9. kevinda

kevinda Registered

hopefully the tank will be in place in the next two weeks,only problem can't decide how i'm fixing the halide!
    1.brackets on the wall
    2.having a 7'' strip of 10mm floatglass cut and standing the legs on this and the cover to the rear sump, i did toy with the idea of two strips or one big piece(with a 2""gap for circulation but someone said it would be a pain in cleaning it and access would be hard!
    setting everything up may have to beg a favour from shanemc as he has the same tank and will have got over any issues!
    basically i am after going down a similar route on stocking and running.

(birchy)how have you got your p04 so low are you carbon dosing or is it purely from using rowa?
    which salt are you using?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  10. johnl69

johnl69 Registered

Looking good so far, if it was me I'd hang the light from the wall,I have my lights resting on the top and it's a pain in the backside if I need to do any work in the tank, if they where on the wall I could lift them out the way.

11. kevinda

kevinda Registered

this is exactly the response i was looking for as i really want to start this one right!
    cheers johnBig Thumbs Up
    any tips on fixing and what brackets diy or arcadia?

12. johnl69

johnl69 Registered

Depends on where you locate the tank if you've got a solid wall behind the tank then a couple of strong brackets should be ok I'm thinking of having some brackets fabricated that attach to the back of the stand and come up and over the tank

13. 8birchy10

8birchy10 Registered

I use nopox and rowa kev, the nopox does jack for the po4 so even though the bottle says not to use rowa I do.
    To be honest I hardly ever change the rowa but I have good circulation, feed little and often so it all gets eaten ang over skim to rip the crud out before it breaks down.
    Youv just reminded me I have a new Hanna checker in the car and havnt tested for ages. Will have to give it a blast.

14. kevinda

kevinda Registered

was thinking of using nopox and a reactor for the rowa rather than in the bags apparently a phosban 150 fits in the rear sump!

15. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Good to see you back in the saddle after a few rocky months fella Big Thumbs Up

Nice looking set up which I'm sure we'll all discuss at the next meet after updates on here.

16. kevinda

kevinda Registered

it still work in progress and as the good lady jennybugs says "slowly,slowly!"

righto light now sorted,i'm using one of those all ponds soloutions overhead hanging frame(big thanks to fedagariBig Thumbs Up)
    sourced myself 2 new powerheads and a pump.
    sicce voyager 4 on a sicce wavesurfer+sicce silent 1.0 to create a good flow through tank(big thanks to shanemcBig Thumbs Up)truly silent look out tunze!
    and if needed newave 4000 (big thanks tigerbird)on constant very,very quiet.
    so should create plenty of flow around tank.
    skirtings are all on,just finished undercoating so not long to moving the perc into the livingroom.
    so will be on the lookout for some more liverock......any suggestions on total for tank????
    i know it's 1 kg per 10 litres but some of you run with the less is more opinion..ie better to have less with good flow and more swimming space for fish.
    i currently have around 13.5kg
    the tank holds 272 litres
    i will also be filling the middle section with liverock rubble but again i am not sure how much?
    fiji pink livesand as it is so cheap at c.c.w

17. dexter

dexter Registered

sounds good. got some palys when you want them, i`ve always called them venus fly traps.

18. kevinda

kevinda Registered

cheers dexter are they the same as birchy's?

19. dexter

dexter Registered

look the same, they grow and spread realy well. gave a few to paulm

20. kevinda

kevinda Registered

nice,they usually are a drab brown!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice