1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Peppermint Shrimp Missing - Could Bta Have Eaten Him?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by steve861uk, Oct 12, 2017.

1. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

As above :confused:

I had 2x pepp shrimps and now have only one.

Have noticed a shrimp irritating my Green Bubble Tip Anemone on a few occasions and the nem has grown to approx. 7 inches across. Could it be that the nem got fed up and decided to eat him :eek:?

Anyone else had a nem that ate something they ought not do?

2. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

It is possible but very unlikely.
    They tend to be shy and nocturnal animals so fingers crossed pal.

3. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Thanks Dave.....hopefully he was just hiding, will have another check tonight when I get home :)

I thought it unlikely as the shrimps give a great manicure and can really hurt whilst doing it, so would have thought a tough shrimp against a soft anemone would be no contest........unless the nem can somehow paralyze it?

4. Bob1888

Bob1888 Registered

Can happen but are you sure he ain't just shed and hiding till his new skin hardens

Jagger likes this.
  5. Jagger

Jagger Registered

I agree with Bob.

6. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

Depending on the type of BTA, some have a mucus that protects them and they are able to sting and kill some fish, I know of people with carpet nems that have taken fish.
    I know I feed my nem once a week with a full prawn so it is possible.

7. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Had a good mooch around tonight and at chow time they are normally the first to grab food, but still only 1x did.

So I'd say it's definitely Mia or Kia :(

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

8. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

Not necessarily as with it being a peppermint shrimp it may have found a juice aptasia garden to feed on.
    Just because you can not see any doesn't mean you do not have them

9. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

I found one shrimp hiding behind my bta (what a strange symbiotic relationship that is ).
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 11:30 AM