1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Paul's - tank 2, garage frag

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Fishpalace, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Talked for a while about starting up a second tank to either use as a frag tank or to start breeding tank. Current plan is to start as a frag tank and add a pair of clowns along with a wrasse and a few snails.

Picked this up last weekend from a tank breakdown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An ND aquatics tank measuring 80cm x 40 x 60, about 190 liters along with xaqua flow overflow and a return pump. The cabinet is a DIY but has no sump so need to get one although not worked out if I will use filter socks or some other way of catching crud.

Already have -

Jecod 6000 return pump
    NYOS 120 skimmer
    Radion xr30 gen 2 with tank mount
    Tank cover
    Deltec reactor

But need -

Atu - as not had one before I need to look into it but Tunze seem to get good reviews

Have heaters but will probably buy new and a controller.

Might go for siporax

The tank is going in the garage so need to clean it out, paint the walls and also fit a radiator as it gets really cold in winter. Will also need a chiller for summer but that can wait.

Going to rake a few weeks before there is any activity.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. nodster

nodster Registered

Ha ha nice one Paul , me and my mind , looks good fella although id brace that cabinet a bit more just to be on safe side maybe , shallow lagoon look maybe :whistling:

3. dannydization

dannydization Registered

can't wait to see this up and running pal

4. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

There is a wooden support at front and centre so will be ok. The atand looks solid enough to took full wait but will not take the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

5. nodster

nodster Registered

Didn't notice the supports was too busy cooing over the glass work Big Thumbs Up

6. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Thats a cracking looking tank for a frag tank buddy. Tunze have very good Auto top off. Mine has run without any issues at all. Also has a built in safety incase the float get stuck. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this :)

7. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Thanks bud

Really pleased with the tank, cabinet is what I expected as DIY but Going into garage. Really surprised how big it looks and finish is really good too, 1st time I have seen an no aquatics tank. Lots of room for frags.

Only heard good things about tunze ATU. I am Trying to go used on all parts so will look out for one as a tank closedown.

8. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

So since buying the above frag tank I have decided to have both a frag tank and try my hand at breeding g clowns so picked up a reefer 170 yesterday from a local reefer.

Still am long way from setting it up but now nearly all the kit to make it happen.

May consider putting a divider in tank so that I can have 2 pairs but we will see.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Nuts really as now have a reefer 450 and 170 and a frag tank that can probably hold 250l depending on sump size.

Nearly 900L of water I now need to keep, Not sure I really anticipated this but seemed like a good idea at the time.

Paul

10. nodster

nodster Registered

You go for it Paul lots of hard work and dedication needed , be worth it if it all goes to plan though Big Thumbs Up

11. dannydization

dannydization Registered

Fair play mate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Absolutely lots of hard work. Aim is to have garage set up and tank cycles with a pair of clown fish by Christmas which sounds like a long time but gonna take it slow. Might have 2nd tank installed by than but wanna see how garage is in winter with a radiator and a couple of heaters in tank.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. nodster

nodster Registered

Have you thought about lining walls of garage with poly insulation to keep it warmer

14. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I did but 2 of the walls are internal so the cold will come from the garage door but then again I need some ventilation.

Not sure how it is going to turn out but a combo of radiator and tank heaters should do the trick.

15. Scott

Scott Registered

Insulate the back of the garage door with foil lined cladding, attach a wind break brush to bottom of door and at night get a draught excluder internally to cover bottom 10mm gap.... also put a floor down. If you go to local Barratt homes new build home sites the builders usually let you have the offcuts for free... ive done it this way once in my garage. Then all you will need is 2 200w heaters and tank will be fine. You can go to auctions or gumtree and purchase job Lots of carpet tiles for literally next to nothing. The cold in the garage tends to come through draughts and concrete floor

16. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Thanks. Scott, will look into this idea

17. CEECH

CEECH Registered

lol you really have caught the bug now he he. It seems as though 1 tank is not enough these days to have lol. [MENTION=20021]penzo[/MENTION] is as bad as you lol. The new litte reefer looks perfect for a go at breeding clowns:) Just a question ? where do you plan on keeping the fry ?. if you split the tank then you could use 1 side for fry when you want to split from the partents and that way there is no change in the water parameters for them. I suppose you could always move the pair of clowns to your frag tank but something to consider for sure. What does your wife think about all the new tanks lol

18. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

LOL, as bad as [MENTION=20021]penzo[/MENTION] but not as bad as @ Merser. Since starting I have wanted to have a go @ a proper frag tank and breeding but didn't think I would do both at same time.

I have a 30L and 40L spare tank that I will use for raising fry and will be set up in the utility room which is next door (we converted 1/2 the garage a few years back). I can then tfr to 170 once big enough, split and put some in frag tank or set up my old fluval M90 as a holding tank. A few options.

Jill my wife is fine with it all, she feeds the fish and tops up RO when I am away and did the rock work on main tank. Also has own own fluval edge 23L freshwater tank in kitchen so likes fish.

That is the plan but need to set up 1st :)

Paul

19. CEECH

CEECH Registered

lol so you actually have 6 tanks :) Look forward to seeing this all up and running. Have you figured what clowns you are going to go with to start breeding ?
    Your lucky your wife is so interested :) mine is getting there but i dont ever see her helpimg with the maintenance :) i have her notified that this weekend coming i will be setting up the new tank. Need to start getting water containers and finish off piping and cover. Hoping i will have the new sump today or tomorrow :)

20. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Will go with a pair of common clowns as I understand they are the easiest to breed and also a local reefer has a pair that have been laying eggs so fingers crossed once they settle in they will start laying again.

Look forward to seeing your tank set up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice