1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Paul's Red Sea Reefer 450

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Fishpalace, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

[MENTION=21336]merser[/MENTION] I assume I can't change your mind on your luv for bengali cardinals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CEECH

CEECH Registered

No for the first 3 to 4 weeks its ok they are extremely protective. But after that bye bye i usually moved them out

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. merser

merser Registered

Hahah it's incredible you can breed them mate! Just not for me!

4. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

OMG found another 4 babies today to make a total of 6. I cannot believe they are still alive, with so many things around to eat them.

The latest are hiding amongst about 50 heads of sunny D zoas.

[​IMG]

5. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

How cool are They! :clap:

6. Scott

Scott Registered

Cher ching store credit Hysterical

7. CEECH

CEECH Registered

You would be amazed at how good fry are at hiding. I would not be surprised if there are more

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Spotted a couple more so up to 6 now.

9. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Already had offers from local reefers to take them so should be able to get cash rather reduced store credit

10. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

A while since I updated thread

A few things have happened over the past few months -

My pair of Bengali cardinals had babies in May and we still have 4 of them however the female died shortly after so real mixed emotions as she has a habit of eating the fry and with her death they have survived for 7 weeks. Culturing own baby brine shrimp and feeding daily but their main source of food seems to be the rock and algae on glass as they graze all day. Lots of rockwork and hiding places from both the regal and vampire tangs who have been known to eat fry cardinals in the past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lost both my silver belly and peacock wrasse too and was gutted about the peacock as had her for over 2 years but these things happen.

The tank is overwhelmed with corals as the existing colonies continue to go mad and I am awash with frags, really need to sort it out. I added about 10 in one week and once they started growing alk consumption went through the roof and took about 3 weeks to stabilise as daily dosing went from 16 to 41ml per day, nuts but must have been doing something right, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This purple stylo started out as a 1 inch frag!!

[​IMG]

Added a red planet acro which is superb and polyp extension is best in tank.

[​IMG]

Also picked up this Phoenix monti, poor pic but was really small as quite expensive and now starting to grow out, apologies for crap pic

[​IMG]

Still running the tank on nopox with no reactors etc and all was ok until a couple of weeks ago when I had an outbreak of cyano as nitrate was probably too low and untraceable whilst phos was 0.045. I contacted redseakev and he advised me to reduce nopox to increase nitrate levels to balance po3 & 4 so reduced nopox from 13ml per day to 8ml per day and nitrates have increased to 2.

Cyano spread has stopped but difficult to know real impact as tank temp has been running between 26.5 and 28 degrees due to hot weather and I am sure has not helped the situation. Gonna keep at this level of dosing and take nitrate to 5 whilst holding phos @ 0.045, see what happens.

The vampire and regal are both huge and I know I have said it before but they both need to go to a bigger home. Been trying to give them to a sealife centre or zoo but they are not interested so need to find a big tank locally.

Also only completed 4 water changes since beginning February and they were to clean sump area. As tank has nopox, reef energy, alk, cal and mag dosed daily along with Red Sea color programme I figured it is getting everything it needed and that seems to be the case

Still enjoying the hobby and the tank is still challenging but very enjoyable especially having fry to take care of.

Paul

11. CEECH

CEECH Registered

glad to hear things are going ok other than a few bumps :) any FTS shots`?

12. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

The bumps have been gentle ones I would say Des, all things considered.

Have not taken full tank shot for ages and really should take some

13. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I agree with that we need some FTS shots :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice