1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Paul's Red Sea Reefer 450

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Fishpalace, Aug 27, 2015.

1. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Very nice selection of amazing corals you have there :w00t:.

On average how long would you say it took for them to get that size from a small frag?

I know everything is growing in my tank, which is relatively new, but would be nice to know where I'm heading and how long the journey is going to be :dance:

2. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Thanks

Depends on the corals and water parameters, lights and flow along with do you feed corals. Also coral positioning too.

The coral in the last post, blue tipped Formosa Acropora, grows at about an inch per month whereas a candy cane I had for 12 months did not grow at all but once I had repositioned, it has gone from 2 to about 15 heads in less than 9 months.

I have found that not making big changes in one go or adding lots of corals or fish in one go helps. I added 11 frags recently and checked alk daily for 2 weeks as alk and cal consumption was all over the place and took that time to settle down and find the right daily dosing.

A doser really helps keep alk and cal right too as the tank likes routine and stability.

Not sure this helps as there are too many variables but ask away if this prompts more questions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Not had the greatest of success with single head acans however the 2 I bought back in January have both decided to grow additional babyheads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Oh very nice :)

5. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Thanks for the response [MENTION=22434]Fishpalace[/MENTION] Big Thumbs Up More than enough to go on with, so now comes the time to hurry up and wait (tanks planted so will keep on top of params and my doser arriving today will help) Thanks

6. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

I love it when that happens...for some reason my acans seem to like my tank and have rewarded me with some baby heads too :w00t:

7. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Absolutely

When I set up tank and about 3 months had passed I left it for 4 months adding no more corals or fish and just let it settle. Tank started to grow and mature and I am convinced that helped get through that 1st 6 months or so without any hiccups as easy to have issues with cyano etc or high nitrate/phosphates

Paul

8. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

A couple of frags that are starting to base out

Setosa

[​IMG]

Undata

[​IMG]

9. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

nice form of setosa Big Thumbs Up

10. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

My pair of bengal cardinals have been breeding for a while and found these 2 tucked away in the corner of the tank last night, probably about a week old.

Made an urchin to block off the entrance to where they are and bought some baby brine shrimp and Copepods

Anyway we will see how the fry fair over the next few days.

Paul

11. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

[​IMG]

12. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Another 2 days have passed and found a 3rd baby. A couple have now left the confines of the corner so not sure how long they will last, with a regal and vampire tang on the prowl.

Fed live baby brine shrimp and copepods on Sunday but you can clearly see them pecking at algae on glass and rockwork so assuming they feed on very small creatures to keep them going.

Not going to take them out as other tank has nowhere near as much bacteria in it and have no culture of brine shrimp going.

Everyday is a bonus and great to watch!!

13. warby

warby Registered

sounds like fun watching them develop you will be surprised how much food this avaliable in a tank even when you don't feed them yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

14. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Very cool indeed. As long as they stay out of sight they may stand a chance

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

15. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Absolutely as they must be feeding on microscopic creatures. I know when lights go out the number of snails I have is amazing and also have lots of bristleworms which IMO are great as cuc.

I feel like a proud father which is complete. I sense as only fish and all I do I fed them ,

16. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Definitely going doing the clown breeding route now which I know will b frustrating and heaped with lots of disappointment but to produce lots of fry and watch them turn into proper fish must be amazing

17. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I managed to breed allot of types of fresh water fish. Really cool to see them grow. Nezt ever spawn was my jugar cichlids. There were hundreds of fry. Will try get video up for you to see it was epic

18. CEECH

CEECH Registered

19. CEECH

CEECH Registered

This is the jaguar cichlids

20. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

[MENTION=22835]CEECH[/MENTION], wow some serious fry there. I assume the big fish did not go round eating them unlike a female cardinal

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice