1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Paul's Red Sea Reefer 450

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Fishpalace, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Tank shot September 2015

[​IMG]

December 2015

[​IMG]

January 2016

[​IMG]

Summary of kit:

2 x Radion 3 Gen XR30 Pro's
    1 x Radion 3 Gen XR15 Pro
    2 x Eco Tech MP40QD powerheads
    Eco tech Reeflink
    NYOS Quantum 120 skimmer
    Ecotech Vectra M1 return pump
    1x Ehiem 200w heater

Apex controller
    PH probe
    Salinity probe
    Temp probe
    ORB probe
    PM2 controller
    2 x 6 power bars
    2 x apex Dos pumps

Nitrate and phosphate controlled via dosing of Red Sea Nopox and Reef energy a&b

First post

After 11 months with my first marine tank I have decided to take the plunge and upgrade to the biggest tank I can fit into the dining room so chose a reefer 450. A beast of a tank with thick glass, 15mm front and 12 mm sides and is a quality build.

Saw a good offer on eBay, tank is only 4 months old with much of the kit being a lot newer so decided to take this route as substantially cheaper than buying new.

Agreed a price and took the family on a road trip to Derby on Sunday to collect in 2 cars but we had to leave much of the water behind as just not enough room. Once home it took 5 of us to move in to the dining room for a perfect fit.

[​IMG]

Fortunately I had the existing tank still running and also set up 2 spare nano tanks just in case I needed to use. Glad I did as only managed to fill tank to half way and put live rock in with wave makers and heater to prevent die off before we gave up for the evening, a very long day.

Paul

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Day 2,

I went off to work and a little concerned that I would not have the time to fill and aquascape anytime soon however my wife, Jill, and youngest son decided to fill tank and also to aquascape to their own design being a wall of rock which I was not overly keen on. By the time got home they were finished and wow I was really impressed. Not only had they done this they had also transferred a number of fish and corals too and had saved me hours!!!

I was then left to set up the lights -

2 x radion 3rd gen pro XR30's complete with mounts
    1 x radion xr15 pro with mount

Cracking LED's that look good, easy to use and fish and corals luv them and will be fitted to a reeflink, when I get a chance to set up. Top lights and one of the reasons why I bought the tank.

Also set up the return pump which is a Jecod DCT 6000 which then took an age to balance the flow into the tank and out through the down pipe to make it silent , which it was not for ages but is now silent.

A quick pic of what the tank looks like today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Looking very nice :) keep the pics coming

4. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Thanks, really pleased with it. Will def post more photos as the tank develops

5. CEECH

CEECH Registered

look forward to following the tanks journey :)

6. boltonreefer

boltonreefer Registered

very nice ultra modern looking, see what you mean about a wall of rock i bet half of that's coming back out :biggrin: be really nice when you,v sorted it i,ll be watching for your updates :thumbup1:

7. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I don't think it will be coming out.

It is growing on me and tonnes of room for corals, loads of hideaways for fish along with a massive area of clear sand too so unlikely to change.

I know reefers tend to go for building easier on the eye scrapes, towers, arches and with aqua Roche you can make it look very different but I think we will stay with the wall effect although not always aesthetically great through the lens of a camera it looks great in person.

Will keep the updates coming as tank develops.

Thanks

8. boltonreefer

boltonreefer Registered

that tank will look great whatever scope you settle on, don't listen to me im just sad [as the wife says] had my evergrow lt2080 running all day yesterday going through its custom settings and no tank just hung it in place. Hysterical

9. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

10. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

The build continues with the fitting of a NYOS 160 protein skimmer, designed for a 1000L tank, and a Deltec FR509 Fluidised Reactor with RowaPhos and a
    Aquarium Systems NewJet 600 to circulate around the tank. Took ages to set up the skimmer as the cup filled in 30 secs however sorted it by lifting it out of the water with 4 pieces of egg crate.

Also connected the ATU which is a simple system, by the looks of it. The ATU unit hold 17L of RO which many have said is not enough however I have not used an ATU before so having not to top up every day is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The skimmer is pulling out some gunk which is no surprise given the transfer of live rock from Derby to Essex

Corals are beginning to open up and look good, picked up a 10 head branching hammer a few weeks back and seems to luv it’s new home

[​IMG]

11. merser

merser Registered

Hi pal,

Just got onto this thread. You've had a result getting one second hand. Well done.

What sort of corals are you going to be stocking? I find that a wall style scape makes it very difficult to place sps unless you have a sophisticated way of suspending corals until the milliput hardens. Even then they'll grow straight up.

One other thought... Are you trying to balance the weir with the return pump?! I'm sure you already me I but there is a diaphragm valve on the reefers that you adjust to get silent. You shouldn't need to mess with your return. Personally I believe you should have as much flow as you can muster so I use the same return on the 350. It's cranked probably 3/4 up. I then use a gyre in the display.

Anyway, just a couple of observations. Keep up the good work. The radions are the business and you get much more flexibility using a reef link. Get a good programme off Facebook and you are laughing.

Jamie.

12. dannydization

dannydization Registered

looking stunning mate looks like you bagged yourself a good buy rep the updates coming

13. Alburglar

Alburglar Registered

Looks good. I much prefer the wall of rock look. Looks like a reef drop off. Better than horrible blue vinyl.

14. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Thanks for message.

I have set the return pump and then used the diaphragm value to control, just needed a lot of tweaking.

The wall has a number of ledges that I can put SPS on although only have about 4 SPS now, all digi's of various colours. Will probably be an LPS dominated reef for a while and will add SPS as tNk matures and I understand it more. Current stock include, branching hammers, torch, Duncan, war coral, acans with the vast majority being frags.

Plan to let things settle and grow out for a month or so before adding any more.

15. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I had black vinyl on last tank and as there was a 3 to 4 inch gap between rock and back glass I tried to keep it clean which was a pain. No such plan with this tank as the few back areas that can be see will be left alone.

Whilst this is a bigger tank the approach and layout is also completely different so will take time to get used to it.

Paul

16. merser

merser Registered

Cool. Just had an image of you trying to tweak the return! Thought that's gonna take him ages! Hahah I find that diaphragm needs adjusting every so often but no biggie.

I'm an lps fan. Mine is filled with it now. I planned on going sps heavy but got impatient and ended up almost filling it with lps!

17. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I see what you mean. Turned pump up to 70% this morning and had to tweak downpipe too so all good.

Will eventually get round to growing some sps as do want to give it a try but won't go heavy on them. One particular LFS has some cracking SPS frags so will need to stay clear of that store for a while!!!

Paul

18. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Ha Ha [MENTION=21336]merser[/MENTION] you could learn something from that statement about staying away from SPS frag stores lol. Mind you i am no better lol

19. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

LOL, with numerous local shops it is hard to stay away. Was very good this weekend as popped into one of my favourite LFS and only bought 10 snails and 2 peppermint shrimps.

20. dannydization

dannydization Registered

just looked at the nyos skimmer and seen the price nearly fell off the sofa

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice