1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured PaulM's 2x2x2 (Still with us)

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by PaulM, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Good to see you around still Paul! Still busy with other things?

2. tigerbird45

tigerbird45 Registered

Looking great Paul going to get back into Reefing after holiday

3. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Bought the clam about 8 months into owning the new cube so reckon it's 2 years old now. It has more than doubled in size and weighs an absolute ton as I found out when changing the substrate recently.

I do believe they are susceptible to a certain type of snail and that bristle worms can also annoy them but I've had no problems other than watch it grow and now dominate the area it does. I have no idea if there are any fish which are incompatible and I only have clowns and bangaii's in.

Mine was only £50 but very small when I purchased it which was a slight risk. My thoughts, as always, were nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

4. PaulM

Work keeping me busy and I'm just finishing the 3rd year of my degree off too which has kept me busy.

Hope you and the family are well :)

5. PaulM

Just busy with work and my degree Mike. I'm trying to arrange so that I can attend reef nights now the light nights are in and my kids can cycle to clubs etc.

6. PaulM

My ever growing 'nem and its bodyguard my female clown.

She even takes a nip if i'm feeding it :w00t:

_MGL5152.jpg

7. PaulM

Apologies for not being here for some time and hope all the original members are still well and all the new guy's and gal's are reaping the benefits of this fab forum.

So a quick update which I thought would be nice for those with anemone's.

Since the last post above my nem has simply got bigger and bigger by the month. Its tentacles, or whatever they are, now expand over 50% across the glass sides. This gives them a rough size of 12 inches in reach.

A few weeks ago something odd happened and I thought I was going to lose it. Got up one morning to find it appearing to tear into two pieces. Did a bit of digging on the internet and found it was either dying or spitting. Having almost split it came back together and has sat there for the last 2 weeks deciding what to do. A couple of half hearted attempts later it would appear that it has finally decided to split.

I came home today and found one part of the foot has actually moved some 6 inches from the other foot and is now only connected by the 2 strands of flesh between the 2 parts.

The tentacles are still inflated, though not fully, and the clown's are swimming into both parts and having a good wiggle about.

Here's hoping to a good solid split and not death Big Thumbs Up

As it still sits in the front corner of my tank here is an image of the split/tear in process.

_MGL0431.jpg

8. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Good to see you still around Paul!

Just keep an eye on that nem normally they do split in one go!

Is that algae in the background on the clam shell?

9. tigerbird45

tigerbird45 Registered

Wow great nem Paul oh and poto as great as ever

10. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Nice one!!...I've not been on here for a while; found a Marine group for Sussex on Facebook...i stopped receiving the daily Help Advice questions thing I used to get stuck in with...then all the newer users were just tKing themselves to seriously and frankly getting a little to ****ty about nothing....so I left them to it. I must have got this notification by being in the post at the beginning I guess. Glad to see all is well with you and tank. I have moved from space taking and coral stinging bubble tips to beautifully coloured Rock Flower Anemones...www.jayceeocean.com....tell Joseph that Enzo sent you

11. PaulM

Yeah still around fella and hope the family are all well.

Algae everywhere I'm afraid and mostly down to my laziness. It's that pain in the arse stuff that when you pull tons of it out some of it dies to feed the regrowth. Endless cycle of pain :(

Keeping an eye on the nem and just hope it doesn't commit suicide and kill everything else. Would just be my luck ;)

12. PaulM

Cheers Mike and good to hear you are feeling well ;)

13. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Hi Paul, good to see you still have your tank & also not forgotten about us here on the lovely friendly Salty Box

Dave

14. Marvandgoldie

Marvandgoldie Registered

Amazing photo there, never seen anything like that before. Hopefully it doesn't die on you bud

15. PaulM

Hope you are well Dave :thumbup1:

A mixture of being too busy with work, Uni and being a parent Dave. I've also been told things have got somewhat better on here so thought I'd revisit and see how things pan out.

The tank is still going though I have no idea what the 'nem is doing. It's almost like slow motion stretching every week or so at the moment.

Also managed to get some briopsis which has been doing my nut in for the last 6 months or so :-(

On the plus front my wife wants a new kitchen and has thus agreed to let me have a large built in tank, so not all glum ;)

16. PaulM

As it's on the glass, and in the corner, capturing the image was rather easy tbh. I agree though it's unusual to see it actually happening from that angle.

17. PaulM

Well it did split though the 2 parts simply sat next to each other for the last several weeks. Things changed yesterday though.

The bigger of the 2 had begun it's move last night as we were consuming our evening meal. As we went to bed it was in the middle of the glass so I popped the mesh cover over the powerhead just to be safe.

By this morning it had come back down the glass, travelled over sand and rock and seems to have settled at the front of the rock scape next to the sand bed. It's also opened up in its new found home and whilst I knew it was biggish the bugger is absolutely huge.

The smaller one also seems to like the space left by the main one as its also expanded itself.

To the left of this image is my clam. This monster is the size of a small football now and weighs rather heavy too.

_MGL1468.jpg

18. PaulM

One advantage of being able to see face on to the nem is that I can get a good image from the mouth area. More interestingly, with the following image, is that you can actually see the muscles or veins which are feeding the tentacles with water.

The base of the tentacles are almost translucent in appearance before turning their lovely deep red further along.

_MGL1545.jpg

19. tigerbird45

tigerbird45 Registered

Amazing Paul your nems look fantastic mate

20. CEECH

CEECH Registered

great picture Big Thumbs Up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice