1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured PaulM's 2x2x2 (Still with us)

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by PaulM, Jul 14, 2012.

1. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Re: PaulM's 2x2x2 ( Doing rather well 1 year on )

Just the one that keeps making a break for it. Easy to tell by its shell marking/growth but no idea why it does it. Often found at the base of the cabinet on the carpet :)

Quite possibly but all the others seem content actually staying in the water :lol:

2. Monty76

Monty76 Registered

Hi Paul, nice to hear from you and looking forward to some more spanking images buddy and full tank shot ;)

3. bigguy

bigguy Registered

may be it thinks its a land snail lol

4. PaulM

I'll be getting some images up soon :)

I think it's just stupid ;)

5. PaulM

As some of you may know the fan on my Radion unit failed yesterday. Woke up to darkness and just a blinking LED on top of the unit. Check of the instructions and new fan needed. Jez at ITC has sent me a replacement so whilst awaiting its arrival I have disassembled the unit and removed the offending fan enclosure.

Not much dust in there but Jez did state that the early fans were prone to failure hence my replacement is free even with the unit out of warranty.

Followed the video on Ecotech's site and even for a lazy git like me it was easy to take apart.

Everything in pieces
    Radion1.jpg

The offending fan. Not too dirty or clogged so unsure why they fail so easy.

Radion2.jpg

Just hope when the new one arrives that it all goes back together nice and easy ;)

6. PaulM

No replacement fan arrived today so just hope it does tomorrow. Single compact T5 doing a tough job at the moment.

7. PaulM

New fan replaced and still nothing. Spent a while on the phone with Jez @ ITC trying resets and alternative reboots etc but fan just jolting about. Even though out of warranty this unit is going back for an overhaul and repair with temporary replacement unit coming in the morning.

Jez will return mine, good as new, in about a week :clap:

8. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Top customer service is that. Glad your getting it sortedBig Thumbs Up

9. PaulM

The guy is so nice. Sent replacement fan out straight away and when that doesn't work asks for it back to repair. Gordon [MENTION=12861]reefloat[/MENTION] must have trained him in customer service :)

10. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

top bloke is Jez, never had an issue that he hasnt helped me out with when iv rung him.

11. PaulM

Totally agree with the top bloke comment. He talked me through reboots and all the other tricks he knew to kick start the unit and when they failed arranged for a temp replacement, tomorrow, whilst mine is repaired.

12. StarfishEnterprise

Paul - whats happening? Been a while since we had an update? Did the light get sorted?

13. StarfishEnterprise

Re: PaulM's 2x2x2 ( Test results P.145 )

Wouldnt mind an update on this fella if you get 5 minutes. Keen to see hows its come along as its been a while mate! Hope your well :thumbup1:

14. PaulM

Well it’s certainly been a while since I’ve been on here so here goes. I am now in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] year of my BA at Uni and still thoroughly enjoying it. Work is manic and I never thought that things would explode, in the way they have, which has had me working right across the UK this year. With all this happening my forum time simply dropped off to non existent as after typing up Uni documents or processing thousands of work images the last thing I wanted to do was stay staring at a laptop.

So the tank, the tank, oh the tank and what it’s been through this year.

Firstly there was the brown sludgy algae which destroyed a fair few corals and seriously hacked me off after things had been going so well. Then my Radion blew up, which was sent back for repair and is still there. I still have the temp replacement 8 months on so can’t complain about that. Maybe I should call Jed and see if I’m just keeping this one.

A second bout of the brown sludge some six months after the first saw the departure of my duncans, which were simply overwhelmed with the stuff along with roughly 50% of my candy canes suffering the same fate. After leaving as quickly as it arrived things have been fine since.

The one thing that continues to confuse and amuse me is my sps. Some grow and then stop whilst others stop growing then start with absolute total randomness. Overall they are all still with me so something must be keeping them happy.

My clam is now somewhat larger an absolute beauty which captivates family and friends when they visit. Along with the clam my Nem’ continues a slow natural growth with no target feeding so far. It’s a similar size to my female clown now that lays in it when not kicking her fellas butt to keep things clean about their rock. Fish are the same so rather under stocked for it’s size yet I don’t have the urge to add any more.

Snails are thriving on the back glass, which I never clean, crabs seem fine and there are plenty of pods about on the rock and in the substrate.

Surprises this year, other than the sludge, have been bubble algae, some kind of carpet algae and some reddish fluffy algae in my sump and some aptasia. Those who know me are fully aware that I don’t rip things out just for doing so. The entire tank was constructed from dry rock and nothing has been added for over 12 months so what decides to grow can grow. I do occasionally remove some of the carpet algae but it seems to have found its area and stayed there.

Nothing-newsworthy happening in the sump which just continues to do its thing. I continue to clean the skimmer head out when required and also maintain my bi-weekly water change.

Don’t ask what my parameters are as I still don’t check them after setting the doser up 2 years ago. The temp is a steady 26c though Big Thumbs Up

I see plenty of the old names about still and lots of new ones so glad to see things continuing to flourish on here.

Finally, for now, I can’t say I’m back full on as I’m in the middle of researching my dissertation along with undertaking all the bookings I have. I do promise to pop in when I can though.

Paul.

15. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Good to hear things are going well for you paul

Sounds like you've had two bouts of brown jelly disease on your LPS

16. PaulM

It covered everything in sight and was stringy with black dots in. I did post an image of the first bout. Strangely went on its own accord after a few weeks of smothering things and not seen any sign of it for months now :)

17. StarfishEnterprise

About time Paul! haha

sorry to hear about the Brown Jelly crap. To say the tank has been somewhat neglected lol I recon youve not done half bad. Now wheres the bloody pictures?

18. PaulM

I've always done my reefing on a minimalist level, as you well know, so the gooey crud could well have been my doing.

I'll pop some images up in the next few days if I get time ;)

19. PaulM

Ok so here's the updated tank shot taken an hour or so ago. As you can see the clam is now huge and a true beauty of a specimen. The clowns host the 'nem but lay over on the rock and as for everything else it just stays as it is.

I completely changed the substrate from gravel to sand in roughly 4 hours recently which was a real hoot and I much prefer the sand look.

Anyway it's now getting on for 3 years old and I'm still loving it. I'd also love a 6 footer but still no room for that :012

_MGL5149.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  20. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Hi Paul, love the clam...how long you had it for? Do they grow fast? What are their basic requirements and what tankmates would they not get on with??? (Will any particular fish pick on mantel?)...sorry for all the questions, but I would like one in future, when i find one at right price! Eg. Below £100!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice