1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured PaulM's 2x2x2 (Still with us)

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by PaulM, Jul 14, 2012.

1. SteveAnem

SteveAnem Registered

Re: PaulM's 2x2x2 ( Test results P.145 )

Excellent photo that-very nice pistol shrimp.

2. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Cheers it really is a beauty and something of a quality tunneller :lol:

3. PaulM

Double disaster day :(

Firstly my rogue black foot snail was on the carpet again this morning. Popped it back in as per last week but nothing happened and the crabs moved in a few minutes later.
    _MGL3135.jpg

Secondly I have had to bin my large centre coral. Brown algae sludge arrived a month or so ago for no reason I can think of. Spread like wildfire over the back glass yet only seemed to bother the one coral. I've been manually syphoning this stuff off yet it has slowly smothered the coral Removed it today as I've had enough of it.

_MGL3137.jpg

4. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Such a shame, I assume you have your eye on something to replace it?

5. PaulM

Tbh Ben it's ****** me off to the point I actually thought about binning the whole lot. Big hole at the top now but stuff was growing underneath it so might see how that does.

6. PaulM

On a more positive not look whats happened with my escapee black foot. The crabs were on this the moment I dropped it back in and a couple of hours later look what is still alive.....AGAIN !!! Don't know how it survives.

_MGL3138.jpg

7. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Rather resilient beasts!

I need to get round to sorting my tank (I thought about getting rid a few weeks back but!) I need something to do!

8. PaulM

As you know I'm a rather lazy reefer but keep things in tip top shape letting nature do it's thing. Something like this silky brown algae which destroyed to superb colonies of one specific coral is extremely demoralising. Never seen it before and doing my best to get rid.

Also found a large lump of the stuff in my sump attached under the heater. All other sps do not seem affected as yet and I hope it stays that way.

9. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

as long as your corals are healthy I have found that they fend off any algae, only having to intervene when a clump gets caught in it's branches..

hopefully you were just unlucky with whatever this was

10. PaulM

I blasted it all off the corals a few weeks ago Toby but 2 of the same sps though a good foot apart succumbed. What I found odd was that it grew back on the glass in exactly the same place as before and absolutely nowhere else.

I could only come up with brown jelly disease which is why I posted in H&A and it all stemmed from my coraline breaking down on the back glass. All the other coraline is still fine and being scraped back monthly.

11. PaulM

Re: PaulM's 2x2x2 ( 1st major issue P.147 )

Came home to my candy cane eating a brittle star today. Took this 20 minutes ago and the star has almost been totally devoured now.

Candy-web.jpg

12. PaulM

Happy with the growth of my nem at the moment. Very small when I got it but now it's settled, showing some nice growth & bubbling up.

Nem.jpg

13. bigguy

bigguy Registered

Nice one Paul

Like this in my cube in bedroom did not think it would survive as it was in sump under a rock

This is one from The 2 i got From Simon :)

[​IMG]

14. PaulM

I'll admit I was a little worried about it surviving as it was so small to start with. I've not target fed it and the male clown almost lives in it permanently now which I can only assume is good for it's health and growth.

Just hope this is a little good news after all the pap with the brown algae the other week :)

15. bigguy

bigguy Registered

nice one i fancied a red one but when you have 6 very nice green ones :) i was luck i had to break the rock up to make it smaller both clown look after this in fact i though i had lost them the other day but were both fast asleep hidden in the nem :(

16. PaulM

Cosy :lol:

17. PaulM

Got home early today and so actually did some housekeeping on the sump. Replaced the blocked valve on my Kamoer calcium pump & cleaned out the skimmer. Found several critters living inside the skimmer with some of the crustaceans causing things to be moved.

So this was inside the skimmer when I removed the algae covered outer ;)

_MGL8111-web.jpg

And when I returned guess who was making a daylight run for it. This git of a snail is constantly running around the outside of my tank making a mess of the glass. I have no idea why and at first it was funny but now a little boring. It's even made a dash across the carpet !!!!!

_MGL8124-web.jpg

18. PaulM

Re: PaulM's 2x2x2 ( Doing rather well 1 year on )

Oh dear some 7 weeks since I last posted on here. Been extremely busy with work commissions, projects and Uni stuff but enough about that here's an update.

Everything was fine until the brown goo outbreak the other month. Cleared it all out via syphon, changed carbon & rowa and upped the water changes for a few weeks and all seemed to be ok. I had however noticed that polyps on the 2 affected SPS were not opening as they did. This continued for another couple of weeks and then both went white within a few days and were dead as nails. Removed the remains which were clean of any goo and all other corals around them continue to flourish.

Nem continues to be fine which pleases me too, certainly no giant but looks fine.

No images at the moment as I am about to trial and review Toby's, [MENTION=11655]LittleOcean[/MENTION] ,underwater lens cover once I've completed editing a Xmas wedding I covered. Not forgotten you fella ;)

Enjoyed catching up for the last hour with a nice glass of wine :)

19. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

Nice one Paul, that pic of the snail is ace btw

20. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Are you sure thats not a garden snail they flogged you in the wrong shell???....maybe the poor [email protected] has only been trying to get back home for the past year!! Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice