1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured PaulM's 2x2x2 (Still with us)

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by PaulM, Jul 14, 2012.

1. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Ok so two years, give or take a few day's, since starting my salty adventure with a trusty Boyu 550 my lovely wife decides I can have a minor upgrade. Had a good look around and finally decided to go with a cabinet built by Nick at Aquarium Cabinet Solutions with the tank & sump built by Paul at Fit Filtration in Sheffield.

The cabinet is to be made in a high gloss acrylic white finish which will finally house my first sump:dance: Sleek and simple with no handles etc as I want the focus to be on the tank.

The tank itself will be 2x2x2, rimless, braceless & in optiwhite with a deep blue backgound. I have gone with the "Xqua X-inout" rather than a traditional weir as the intrusion to the tank is minimal giving more space for the display.

[​IMG]

This size tank & unit will fit perfectly into the space that will be left by the Boyu. We had intended a larger upgrade but that's a whole different story and partly covered in my Boyu tank thread - http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/nano-tanks-11-30gal/73895-paulms-boyu-tl550-ongoing-adventure.html

Lighting - After much deliberation the lighting will be provided by an Ecotech Radion.
    Skimming will be undertaken by the new Bubble Magus NAC 5 Curve.
    Return pump is an Eheim 2000 compact.
    Fluidisers are Bubble Magus Mini 70's.
    Circulation Vortech MP40wes from current tank.
    Temp control is via a TC-10

Some of the LR in my current set will be transferred to the new tank along with a few choice pieces I have chosen and that are currently curing at Christal Clear Waters. I intend to firstly have a mostly LPS display eventually to try my hand at some SPS.

A few people who deserve a mention -
    Firstly to my beautiful wife Lisa who agreed to let me have all this wonderful gear :drinks: Love you babe :first_move:
    Nick at ACS for putting up with the endless questions and amendments with the cabinet.
    Paul at FF for allowing me to visit his workshop and see example tanks and his advice given on the final finish.
    Chris at Christal Clear Waters for his patience with my endless questions about hardware and running a sump.

The obligatory picfest will soon follow Big Thumbs Up

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. Carlos

Carlos Registered

Re: PaulM's New 2x2x2 - Well it's been ordered :)

wow finally made the choice then Paul, looks well planned out mate Big Thumbs Up

Carl

3. okieo

okieo Registered

Sweet the opti white will look great with the radion colour choices. Good luck

4. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

Looking forward to seeing it dude although did hear you was visiting and also going ACS.

Whens it due mate

5. PaulM

Weeks of deliberation but wanted something I really wanted rather than something that would just do.

Wanted an optiwhite finish and even after glass a comparison session at FF decided it what what I wanted.

Ordered 2nd July and told 4-5 weeks for completion. Being a realist I'm not expecting it before w/c 6th August but I wouldn't complain if it does come early.

Answered your PM too.

6. bigguy

bigguy Registered

Great News Paul :) I am Actualy Starting on my 3rd Tank :) Must Admit If i bust the redsea max Drilling it Plan B is a cube :) Will Watch This with Intresed And I have seen the in and outs in action a good Move dude Save on space in the tank

7. PaulM

You could always add my Boyu to your bulging collection of nano's Hysterical

8. CHreef

CHreef Registered

This sounds really good, will look forward to seeing how you develop your new reef.

9. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Hurry up with those pics Paul :lol:

Did you get the tubing from Nick on the X-Aqua? or picking it up from Chris?

10. PaulM

Tbh Chris I'll be following the same principles that have served me well with the Boyu so here's hoping it develops just as nicely. Moving to a more LPS based reef though for the colour.

What pictures are you after fella ?

Once I have the tank I'll just measure the lengths required and grab some from Chris. It's stock 20mm (3/4") connectors, for the Xaqua & Eheim, so easy enough as Nick said but it needs enough length for the kink/curve to stop the weir gurgling.

11. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Oh! :p I'm impatient! :lol:

Did you sort out how you'll move your current tank yet?I assume your new tank is going in the same place?

Today I'm gonna finalise my equipment list and order a few bits online (Pet City don't have some of the bits I probably want/need) ten maybe start my new tank thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

12. PaulM

It is indeed replacing the Boyu in the living room :)

The plan is -

Remove fish, corals & 70% of rock. Fish into QT with corals and rock into vat of salty stuff. Wheel tank through to utility room and put it back together and refill with fresh salted. Leave until settled and then loosly replace everything minus the LR going into the new tank.

Sounds easy peasy but I bet it turns into a nightmare :(

And just for you Ben here is a pic of my new skimmer, fluidisers & return pump etc

[​IMG]

I'll add others for you as bits arrive Hysterical

13. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Sounds like a good plan mate! Guess i'm lucky here when I do it as the new tank is going in a diff place!

Might have a bash at scraping the new rock today aswell so that's ready to just plonk into the new tank (also means I have some water to go in rather than just fresh) let it cycle and move everything a week or 2 later

As for the pics :lol: stop teasing! I'll probs bung pump and skimmer maybe a heater on order this week leaving just lights to get :(

14. bigguy

bigguy Registered

for the offer Paul On your Tank But ia have

Red sea max (Up and Running )
    Boyu 450 ( Up and Running )
    Red sea Max ( Next Project ) Sumping
    Kent 94L ( Replace Boyu In Bedroom )
    And My rio 400 sat in front room on a stand awaiting other Projects To be finished .

Also 3 sump tanks and a 2.5 ft tank with live rock cooking

and glass to build a frag tank lol

So another tank ....... Unless i want to talk a few octaves higher and walk with a limp ..... No thanks lol :lol:

15. PaulM

Well I've never moved one so it'll be a learn as I go routine :w00t:

Tbh I just want to get all the gear out of the boxes and have a play with it all but I am being strong so just shots of boxes for you :lol:

You'll still be deliberating on these at Xmas fella Hysterical

16. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

I'll be fashioning something from the 2 hoods I have! 100watts of t5 compacts :lol: and some blue flashing Christmas lights for the storm effect!

17. PaulM

I was only joking Si as I figured your better half would indeed kill you if another tank crossed your front door threshold :lol:

I think you'll have a foot up your ass from Leanne if that happens Hysterical

18. kevinda

kevinda Registered

great news that it's finally happeningBig Thumbs Up
    it seems like me you had a vision of what you wanted,no compromises and have got all you need to make this another accomplishment:-d
    you never know it may make a future tank of the month!

still wanting the liverock paul so just give us the nod when your readyBig Thumbs Up

if you need a hand moving the tanks or the initial swap over if i'm not asleep from my nights then i would gladly give you a hand,i have done numerous tank swaps in the past and as long as you plan it well it will be fine.
    no doubt you will have plenty of offers from your eager reefing pals to help,but the most important thing is obviously plenty of tubs for the water and also plenty of salt water on hand just to make sure you have enough!

19. bigguy

bigguy Registered

although i am getting ready in case i break the tank when i drill it lol :)

20. PaulM

I do have a large kids play tub ,which I am going to clean out, to potentially use for the LR whilst the move takes place. It has been test filled with water already and is watertight with thick rope handles to drag it with.

You are right with the no compromise on the build Kev. I knew what I wanted and also knew that if I did scrimp on something it would bug me forever so it's all as I wanted. As for the gear in the sump etc Chris has been superb in sourcing the BM kit & pumps etc for me and is even curing some new LR plating that I have chosen.

As promised you can have first dibs on the existing LR I don't use in the new tank.

With all the diy mods you have done so far I'm sure a little tank drilling will be a breeze for you fella Big Thumbs Up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice