• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Over 30 years ago I tempted fate and won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

les

Registered
When it came to foods and feeding we were told ( and to some extent still are today) that if you fed a fresh food like shrimp, cockle, mussel, squid etc from fish markets that our fish would die from some horrible diseases that our fish had no immunity too. Our fish foods had to be gamma irradiated to prevent these diseases from wiping out or precious fish. It is known that gamma irradiation kills (for want of a better word) some vitamins in the food that receives these sterilising rays so not all good and perhaps causing more damage than good. Although our fish may not have immunity to some of these diseases (whatever they are) they have never come into contact with over many years just what were the chances of them catching them? What would still be a threat after the fresh food has been frozen then defrosted to feed and just what is likely to be transmitted and indeed what if any disease is in such food? I can't answer these questions but what I can tell you for something like 30 years I have been preparing and feeding my own fish and coral foods without any ill effects to any of my fish it would seem. No mass deaths or horrible diseases have ever been noticed in any of my many tanks in that time. I do use commercial frozen foods and now and again dry foods for variety more than anything. I also feed quite a lot often 4 times a day. Am I playing Russian roulette? Maybe but the chamber keeps stopping in my favour. My fish live long disease-free lives and many spawn for me so I guess making and feeding my own foods is working and working very well for me. BTW just what is this white spot people often talk about? :whistling:

Realist

Registered
LOL white spot what's that but hay if you take not of everything said or written you'll not eat, drink or sleep and if a tank in question is thriving then I say your doing well.

penzo

Registered
When it came to foods and feeding we were told ( and to some extent still are today) that if you fed a fresh food like shrimp, cockle, mussel, squid etc from fish markets that our fish would die from some horrible diseases that our fish had no immunity too. Our fish foods had to be gamma irradiated to prevent these diseases from wiping out or precious fish. It is known that gamma irradiation kills (for want of a better word) some vitamins in the food that receives these sterilising rays so not all good and perhaps causing more damage than good. Although our fish may not have immunity to some of these diseases (whatever they are) they have never come into contact with over many years just what were the chances of them catching them? What would still be a threat after the fresh food has been frozen then defrosted to feed and just what is likely to be transmitted and indeed what if any disease is in such food? I can't answer these questions but what I can tell you for something like 30 years I have been preparing and feeding my own fish and coral foods without any ill effects to any of my fish it would seem. No mass deaths or horrible diseases have ever been noticed in any of my many tanks in that time. I do use commercial frozen foods and now and again dry foods for variety more than anything. I also feed quite a lot often 4 times a day. Am I playing Russian roulette? Maybe but the chamber keeps stopping in my favour. My fish live long disease-free lives and many spawn for me so I guess making and feeding my own foods is working and working very well for me. BTW just what is this white spot people often talk about? :whistling:

Have you ever lost any fish?

Phil077

Registered

I Still prepare my own along with frozen. I Did this in the 1980s never had a Problem. so I Agree with you!

les

Registered
Have you ever lost any fish?
Of course, the odd one has disappeared like anybody in over 30 years and I had a yellow tang that managed to lodge itself in some hystrix but most my fish live long lives. Certainly, no disease ever ravaged any of my tanks. In my first 5 years of keeping marines my fish caught WS until I changed the way I keep them which is not just about thier food but I believe the overhaul package. BTW I have never quarantined any fish in my 36 ears keeping marines and have not had a serious outbreak of WS in the last 30 years. However there can be little doubt I have brought the likes of WS in with new fish it's just that it never takes hold.

les

Registered
20170711_163452.jpg

McPikie

Registered
You make it sound like you're some sort of master marine keeper. From your photo, it doesn't look like there are any specifically finicky fish you are keeping there.

You keep blowing your own trumpet and writing long arse posts about nothing if it keeps you happy.

les

Registered
You make it sound like you're some sort of master marine keeper. From your photo, it doesn't look like there are any specifically finicky fish you are keeping there.

You keep blowing your own trumpet and writing long arse posts about nothing if it keeps you happy.

Oh dear there is always one. No trumpets here and I see after reading your posts you have no trumpet to blow :whistling: I just believe if you get something out of something then put something back and if you do something a little differently than the norm some people might be interested in it instead of the same old stuff. Of course your welcome to your opinion no matter how WRONG you are. Instead of trying to inslt me why don't you ask what fish I keep as you don't seem to have much of a clue and what would you consider finiky?

Last edited:

Scott

Registered

Pmsl phil here i was thinking i was a straight shooter..... youve just leveled upto expert with status say it how it is Hysterical

McPikie

Registered
Oh dear there is always one. No trumpets here and I see after reading your posts you have no trumpet to blow :whistling: I just believe if you get something out of something then put something back and if you do something a little differently than the norm some people might be interested in it instead of the same old stuff. Of course your welcome to your opinion no matter how WRONG you are. Instead of trying to inslt me why don't you ask what fish I keep as you don't seem to have much of a clue and what would you consider finiky?

I can't believe you REPORTED me for that, LOLOLOLOL. What are you, 12? And I don't get the comment about having no trumpet to blow. I'm not trying to blow anything fella.

I can see quite clearly from your pics what fish you keep, and what fish you take and move on within a week. I assumed with all your years of marine keeping that you'd know what species and size fish was suitable for your glass box.

les

Registered
I can't believe you REPORTED me for that, LOLOLOLOL. What are you, 12? And I don't get the comment about having no trumpet to blow. I'm not trying to blow anything fella.

I can see quite clearly from your pics what fish you keep, and what fish you take and move on within a week. I assumed with all your years of marine keeping that you'd know what species and size fish was suitable for your glass box.

I reported a rude offensive post IMO that's what you are supposed to do so I did, you obviously don't think it was, I do. I didn't respond in kind.
From your words, I think not (re fish I keep well at least some of them) I have a number of fish which are considered difficult to keep maybe you can't see all of them but they are there. If you have a problem with me then the right thing to do was to PM me not throw insults at me on here. I have always tried to help people on SB and anywhere else, in fact, I was one of the ew to help Brian when he got into difficulties while some others just threw insults at him, he can varify that.

Seems to me Brian has work cut out and its the likes of your post that some no longer visit SB and other forums as they can do without it. SB is in danger of becoming a mini UR group IMO with some of the offensive post being thrown about. Seems to me the knives are already out for the new owner and certain individuals don't care for this attempt to turn SB around which is a shame but you can't please all the people all of the time.

Back to my tank, it and always will be work in progress looking at how I improve it for the better of the occupants, many of my fish and corals have been wit me many years and have been moved from tank to tank. My present tank is 15 months old but the colonies of corals I have had for a number of years same with some of my fish. Finally, I don't owe anybody an explanation, I do what I do which some might not agree with e but the health of my tank speaks for my methods but I don't advise anybody follows anything I do. They work for me however and that is what matters. I try to make posts that are a little different from the norm.

if I come across to you some sort of "some sort of master marine keeper." That's a shame as I am nothing but, just somebody who tries different things and report on my methods. I am sorry if you think that way. I think enough has been said on the subject.

cuprajake

Registered
no offense intended here, but the way you write can sometime come across as arogant,

i remeber you jumping down my throat on a ats thread a while back,

with this hobby, theres no set rule, we do what works for us

McPikie

Registered
its the likes of your post that some no longer visit SB and other forums as they can do without it.

I think you will find, if you look back on the SB on the slide thread, other issues contributed to people leaving, such as forum downtime and glitches. as well as over moderation.

I don't have knives out for anyone at all, I just say what I see. Blunt, and to the point. If you don't like it, don't read my posts. I'm pretty sure on there are BBCodes available to block users.

no offense intended here, but the way you write can sometime come across as arogant,

i remeber you jumping down my throat on a ats thread a while back,

Exactly!!! Point proven.

warby

Registered
keep it civil lads.
it's hard to tell how posts are intended to come across without hearing the voice behind it. I'm sure we all can sound arrogant, blow our own trumpets e.t.c. without meaning to as you can't hear that person voice.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.