1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Orphek PR-156 LED Units - The Salty Box Reviews

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Ged, May 15, 2011.

1. MarineAquaticsCraig

MarineAquaticsCraig Registered

As above Ged, How are things going?

2. Ged

Ged Registered

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have had some family problems etc and so have been trying to sort things out.

I will continue monitoring and update as and when I can.

3. Turner

Turner Registered

Hope u are all ok ged. And u sort things:)

4. MarineAquaticsCraig

MarineAquaticsCraig Registered

Sorry to hear that Ged, Please dont feel that we are pressuring you to continuously write about the lights, we understand that family comes first mate.

I hope things work out for you mate

5. dazzer_up_north

dazzer_up_north Registered

would one of the lucky owners be able to do close up piks of the actual led's in the unit?

i'm interested as to exactly what/how many/type is used.

thanks in advance

6. Neil

Neil Registered

the unit would need to be taken apart to do that and I dont think anyone would want a void there warranty to d that

7. Carlos

Carlos Registered

If I know dazzer he'll make one :whistling:

8. Nick@OrphekUK

[email protected] Registered

Hi Dazzer,

The leds used are Orpheks own patented ' Power Leds ' tuned specifically to spectrums within the ranges used by a wide variety of corals known as ' PUR ' these give them the advantage to commercially manufactured leds designed for lighting and other applications, hence owners of the Pr-156 noticing a slightly different colour rendition more like halides but without alot of the yellow spectrum which encourages growth of algae on your glass.

Here's a close up of the emmiters with optics, in the standard units specced for UK we have 4 UV LEDs, 14 blues and 42 whites, this works out to be 4 UV's and then a ratio of 70% whites and 30% blues.

[​IMG]

9. dazzer_up_north

dazzer_up_north Registered

cheers for the replies...

that pik looks to me like standard ledil or cree optics of the led die mounted on a star. although i wouldn't argue at all if they said they were bespoke to them. TMC say they're led's are a bespoke bin especially for them from Cree, so i have no doubt Orphek have the same buying power.

very interested in the number and the ratio of whites to blues. that has helped me with my design.

and it seems i wasn't too far away. i had initially thought, 40 x white, Cree XM-L's & 20 royal blue XP-G's (max output of 400W white and 60W blue, but i was going to run them at 60% & 70%, so 240w & 42W)

the xm-l's are 10W capable (3.2v & 3A) and i was going to run them at about 2A (ish) they were going to get 3 x 700mA dimmable drivers in parrallel. if needed i could add the 4th.
    the xp-g's are 1A capable and i was going to give them a single 700mA driver.
    (adjustments to be made for general colour output.)
    then optics or reflectors for both.
    costs were heading upto about £500...

those units do look real nice and i haven't seen a bad review of them yet anywhere.

its just that the costs are too high for me. i have a 4.5 x 2 x 2 and i reckon i would need 2 units. £1500 is more than my car is worth.

it doesn't stop me wanting them though.

p.s. what is PUR? cos for me, there's light, the visible part of the light spectrum and then 2 parts of the light spectrum that are known to be the photosynthetic "areas". i.e. the PAR part of the spectrum. Then there is a area of the spectrum known as the Ultra-violet part of the spectrum, this also gets broken down, (UV-B helps me daily with my crap skin condition)....

so its all ears open for "PUR"

thanks again...daz

10. Nick@OrphekUK

[email protected] Registered

11. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Bascially;

PAR = Photosynthetically Available Radiation
    PUR = Photosynthetically Usable Radiation

PUR is a reading of light that a particular species of coral can use to grow. PAR is light that could be used by one of many species that photosynthesise from light (not necessarily limited to corals here, could include plants e.t.c. also) (disclaimer, if I've understood correctly, I'm sure Nick will correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick)

12. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

Ged, how is everything going with the LED's any updates?

13. rounder

rounder Registered

How you finding these Ged on the verge of buying these my self and as it a fair bit of money just after a bit of reasurance im doin the right thing by goin the led route got a mix of corals duncan, sun, plating monti, acan, zoa,s Nem and a few softies

14. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice