1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Orphek PR-156 LED Units - The Salty Box Reviews

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Ged, May 15, 2011.

1. Ged

Ged Registered

Lee and Craig from Marine Aquatics, have very kindly arranged for me to loan an Orphek PR-156 LED Unit (in white) for a couple of months, so as to give the forum some good old honest feedback, as well as performance details etc

I have been using full LED lighting on my 3x2x2 tank since February 2010 in the form of Reef Beam 120w LED units. As a lot of people already know, I have had several problems with them reliability wise, as in the drivers have failed numerous times.

Lee and Craig offered the loan of a set of the, (new to the UK) Orphek LED units whilst I got my other units repaired.

I declined the loan of the LED unit, as I had managed to solder a new driver in myself. I also told them that I would be happy to do a review on the new units, but in the future. So as when I get them, I am in a neutral position, and it's not just because I needed some replacement lights.

Apart from the failures of my current LED units, I have managed to successfully keep Softies, LPS and more recently SPS corals, whilst using LEDs. Although predominately, my tank is now SPS frags growing out.

I have just found out that the new Orphek LED unit will be landing at my house on Tuesday, next week.

I am so excited tbh as I have already read up on these, and seen some stunning looking pictures from other people already using them. I suppose in a way, I am just like a kid on Christmas Eve, Eve. :rolleyes:

I will take a shed load of pictures between now and Tuesday of my current LED lighting, as well as all my corals, so as the journey and results can be fully documented.

As above I cannot wait until Tuesday, so I decided to start my thread early, so as people can chip in and ask anything that they would like answering, once I have received and setup the brand spanking new Orphek LED unit.

2. Neil

Neil Registered

Hope you don't mind but I can add my own finding when I receive my units (hopeful not long)

3. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

4. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

I guess Nev will be round Tuesday then to put the unit up for you lol

5. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

This will be one to watch, these Orphek units look the dogs....

6. Ged

Ged Registered

pmsl - Am I that predictable?

Also, if anyone would like to come around and see these lights whilst I am reviewing them, I don't mind, you are welcome to, as long as I have prior notice. This way people then can see them in the flesh rather than just my photography skills.

7. nutterivy

nutterivy Registered

i have subscribed to this. Am looking forward to the views on this lighting unit

8. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

Oh yes lol

9. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Lucky GED getting to play with these

Which lens version are they?

10. Ged

Ged Registered

One of the first things ever said to me when I decided to go to LEDs last year, was if a pink hystrix can stay pink, they are up to the job.

Ever since I rescaped in October / November 2010 for my changever to SPS this has been my measure of success.

Here is a picture under the Reef Beams taken today, I will take another picture of the same corals when the Orphek's arrive as a starting point.

[​IMG]

And here is a quick FTS as at today, to give you an idea of tank brightness as a comparison.

[​IMG]

I will duplicate these two images as closely as possible once I have the new lights and will put them side by side, so as to show off the differences. :thumbup1:

11. MarineAquaticsCraig

MarineAquaticsCraig Registered

It will be a W model with 120 degree lenses, these will suit a majority of folks as they provide a better spread than the 156 with 90 degree lens, the 156 comes into play with Aquariums over 30" deep by providing a more focused beam.

All the units we have in stock currently are 156W with the UV upgrade Big Thumbs Up

12. swin

swin Registered

good luck with the lights Ged

13. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

These look like great units with Fab reviews in the US

I just wish they had been available from a UK supplier
    When I changed my lights 2 months ago

Still, that said I am happy with my choice so far

I think the corals will love this unit, might be worth
    Ramping up the power, as I suspect a big jump in PAR over the reef beams

Ant plans the measure the PAR GED ?

14. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

i might call and do it for him if he asks nicely ;)

15. Ged

Ged Registered

Thanks Swin, I am really excited, I have heard nothing but good things about these lights.

@Gary, I am going to ask Wayne nicely re the PAR unless you want to pop down as well?

16. OrphekUK

OrphekUK Registered

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. We're also always open to suggestions and we actually do implement changes on our existing lines every few months as technology progresses. For instance, the PR-156 lights you all are getting have higher quality acrylic, thicker acrylic, the UV/violet emitters, and full-size internal silicon gasketing, quieter fans, and improved/coated ballast box. 2 generations of changes past what the original light had when it launched 9 months ago! :)

17. tarakihi

tarakihi Registered

I know it will be in your original tank specs Ged, but what is the dimensions of your tank?
    And what Dimensions Max will these Leds cover, per unit for (sps)?

18. marineaqua2010

marineaqua2010 Registered

Having see the unit in action and tried them we are recommending 1 unit upto 3x2x2 there after 1 unit every 2ft so 4x2x2=2 units 6x2x2=3 units and so on in our opinion. And i'm sure Ged will find similar.

Lee

19. Ged

Ged Registered

My tank is 3x2x2 and I am sure that one of these units would be fine for SPS - It's when it gets bigger from this point I think another would be needed for sure.

I got 2 of the other units that are not the most reliable LED units (in my opinion) and when one failed, moving the other unit to cover in the middle was not too bad.

But.... The Orphek ones certainly look more up to the job. :thumbup1:

One thing for sure, I know my tank back to front now, even down to the issue I had the other week, I could instantly tell something was not right. The only thing I had done was add ozone, but I eventually lost 3 SPS corals almost. Removing the ozone has turned it back around and in the end I lost one, with the other 2 coming back around.

Therefore, I am more than confident in trialling these, everything I have seen and read, just smacks you in the face of 'It's going to be a quality unit, built for the job'

The price is a little off putting is you were setting up a new tank, but then if you take into account the electricity that you would save over x amount of years, they are very cost effective.

As for the look of the units, it's got to be just like owning a Ferrari or a Porsche. They look like dog's danglies, and one thing they have definitely got, is style. :thumbup1:

20. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

so what does that make the other units? lada's?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice