1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Opinions Please On Cleanup Crew

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Goldie, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Goldie

Goldie Registered

Hi,
    Just wondering what your views are on cleanup crew?
    I’ve had an algae issue in the tank, which I believe is getting under control, and I have lots of dead and dying off material from that but not much cleanup crew save for a few left - I’m cleaning the rock and dislodging regularly but need some support crew I guess ....what are the best to get for this type of situation ...the detritus snails look cool but will the crabs have them and nick the shells? What will make the biggest difference ....their working ability is more important than their aesthetics
    Thanks in advance !
    Gail

2. reid

reid Registered

Red Brittle stars are excellent for collecting un eaten food. As are shrimps. Snails and hermit crabs I would add à few every couple of weeks don't add them all at once. Emerald crabs and Sally light foot crabs were also good for eating algea and food lodged in the live rock. Nerith snails are worth adding to eat detritus. They would be my suggestions depending on tank size and tank mates.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Goldie likes this.
  3. Goldie

Goldie Registered

Thanks - thats a good few to make a start with ;)
    Its a biggish tank (6 footer) and I think half the prob is that its not hugely stocked, and I maybe overfed a bit....always been a feeder lol

4. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Best snails for algae issues are Black Margarita, Spiny Astrea and Blackfoot Trochus. Between them they can eat pretty much anything and the Margarita are hungry wee beasties :D.

Cerith snails love poop and nassarius (zombie) snails will stir your sand bed and also love poop.

Rule of thumb is 1x cuc for every 2 to 3 gallons of tank water. My system is approx. 50 gallons and I should therefore have around 25 cuc members....I currently have 8x but reinforcements are on the way and being delivered on Friday.

My first tank was a kent marine bio reef with only 20 gallons and I pretty much had 20x cuc back then and had zero algae issues!

Be wary of crabs, some will find your snails easy pickings (especially if on the lookout for a new home). Red legged hermits are considered by most to be the safest option.

5. reid

reid Registered

Brittle stars are good for picking up excess food but don't forget they need food they will pick up bits but I use to feed mine a piece of muscle three times a week. ( pieces not a whole one you still want them to scavenge for you) Green brittle stars ones will go after smaller fish so steer clear of them. I kept two reds in a 5ft tank with clean up crew I mentioned with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk