1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Nopox Issues

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Aug 4, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

Hi. Had algae issues some months ago, mainly in having to clean glass too often. Was running a reactor with phosguard at the time. Was put onto Nopox by a mate. 350 ltr, started at 10ml daily. Nitrates where at 50+, now 10ish. Stopped phosguard before introducing Nopox. Phosphate is now 0.03 or lower. So what's the problem? Well, I'm mainly into softies. Had some cracking mushrooms, leathers, polyps etc, they have mostly died back now. Duncans, candy canes, torch coral and other sps fine. I want the softies in new 500 ltr set-up, and don't know whether it's best to ditch the Nopox or, with the doser I'll be using trickle in a tiny background amount? What's your thoughts please.? I've highlighted areas of my sump, that from my freshwater days, I've inadvertently created dirt traps in. Using deep layer of filter floss sitting above a lot of denitrate, before this is alfa grog, 4" x 4" course sponge below intake. Not ideal I've now decided. New sump won't be having these.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

I don’t think softies need such conditions
    They are more suited to sps
    Let your eyes be your best test kit
    If the corals are doing well
    Your conditions must be acceptable to them

3. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I gave up with nopox about 3 months ago due to my softies not liking the lack of nutrients in the water, they seem much healthier and happier now I’ve stopped.
    Last tests were nitrate 2ppm and phosphate 0.08ppm

4. jim_fitz

My last phosphate test was 0.22
    And my sps look good

5. damo666

damo666 Registered

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I should clarify what I'm asking. I think good water quality management may better be achieved, in my case anyway, without turning to a bottle for a solution. So, if my nitrates/phosphates aren't great, deal with the cause and not zap the tank with unnecessary chemicals?

6. jim_fitz

not always possible to deal with the cause

unless you remove all your fish

7. doug_amanda

Dealing with the cause is always going to be the best way but as Jim says it’s not always possible, most reefers use some sort of nutrient control,

8. damo666

damo666 Registered

Thanks.
    A quick overview of where I'm at. I was reluctant to "jump" to saltwater, but freshwater, since 15, peaked at breeding discus and keeping the most challenging plants I could in a lovely moving picture, as I called it. So, first set up was a trigon with externals. Now, on a proper set up with sump, skimmer, auto top up etc. It's been a quick learning curve and don't think I've shaken off f/w practices fully. What I have done is keep a log recently. I've got a Kh swing going on from using coral pro, watching it drop 3 degree's over a week. Guessing that's not helping, so looking at going back to a salt giving around 8 when mixed. I started the Nopox at the same time, so it could be an element of both, or I'm blaming the wrong product. BTW, the sps I've got are flourishing

9. doug_amanda

It’s always best to use a salt that mixes to your intended kh levels to reduce swings with water changes, I’m no sps expert but I would think they would tolerate kh swings much less than soft corals.
    Could your soft corals be suffering from too much flow, I know sps like high random flow and that could be too much for some softies?

10. damo666

damo666 Registered

That's a good point, hadn't considered that. Some may have fallen foul of my new aqua medic wave makers, but most that have suffered were in place and happy long after the upgrade.
    There's something odd going on that I'm not picking up on. My skimmer, for example, is in a chamber with a constant water level. However, it either fills the pot in no time or I have to adjust it over a week (I do weekly water changes) to keep it dry skimming, which is what I prefer. It's kept clean, I'm guessing it has to be down to o2 or co2 levels in the water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice