1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Nitrates Rocketing

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by NoK3, Feb 1, 2017.

1. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I've a new setup where the nitrates have gone through the roof between 75 and 100. I've never experienced this before and always managed them at a low level of less than 10. I've never had a Skimmer and my new set up has no facility to include one. Neither do I have a simp and no means of including one. So stumped. My SPS are clearly stripping and recovery very unlikely. LPS look to be struggling but are still surviving. Softies are ok. Any ideas on how I might manage to reduce and control nitrates e.g. Reactors etc. I can't understand why I'm in this situation as I don't overfeed. I'm really concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. warby

warby Registered

how long has it been up? what is ammonia and nitrite?
    best way to reduce them is by water changes. 20% every few days will bring it down.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

3. nodster

nodster Registered

+1 as above , do lots of water changes

4. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

Ammonia is 0.00, nitrites I can't check as I need a new kit.

5. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I did my normal check at the weekend and concerned then at 35. Ordered a new nitrate kit and now 75-100.

6. warby

warby Registered

what nitrate kit you using?
    how old is the set up?

7. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

Salifert. In theory it's new but it was a transfer of my existing tank and water. Done a couple of months ago and done very carefully and in stages.

8. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

Just squeezed a last test out of the old kit and there's a big difference. The older kit shows lower nitrates and therefore masking a potential issue. That's assuming the new one is right. There's at least 40 difference!

9. warby

warby Registered

I'd go with the new kit to be honest. you could always get it double checked from a lfs.
    20% water changes every other day for around will will bring them down then you can keep on top with weekly water changes.
    what size is the tank and what stock is in there?

10. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

It's only 140l. 2 clowns. 1 goby, 1 Bangai. 1 boxer shrimp, 1 fire shrimp. That's it. Not big enough for much more.

11. warby

warby Registered

not alot in there and only a small tank so doing water changes would be the best way. if you do 20% every few days you will see it come down but not too fast as to shock the corals that are still alive.
    did you say it was run with an external filter? if so do you clean it out and what media do you have in there?

12. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

The filter has some LR and sponge media. Interestingly I've just bought some water to do a change and to my surprise the Nitrates as purchased is at 50. Horror or is it my test kit that has an anomaly?
    . IMG_7193.JPG

13. warby

warby Registered

is it from a lfs? if so then it could well be 50ppm. wouldn't be the first time iv seen it.
    it's far better (if you can) to get a ro unit and make your own that way you know it will be good quality 0tds water.
    speak to the shop and tell them about the nitrate in the water see what they say.

14. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I will do. There's a lesson here. I changed where I buy the water from And the problems started. May be coincidence but I'm going to my normal source and ask them also to to a nitrate test before I buy. I'll no a bit more tomorrow evening. The next question is the the test kit! Is Salifert the best?

15. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

[​IMG]

16. warby

warby Registered

iv always used salifert and had no issues with it i tried the red sea ones but it takes too long think it's around 10min wait for nitrate could be wrong though.

17. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I bought an RO unit despite having a 135L tank as wanted to ensure I knew tds etc before putting it in.

Worth the investment

18. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Wow that is high for water you are buying :lol: Personally it would be better to make your own ro water and most likely cheaper in the long run too. This way you know exactly the water you are changing out

19. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

My LFS who sold me the water have advised their Nitrate is 10 and not 50. Their test kit is Tetra. I need to understand why my Salifert has a significantly higher reading.

20. warby

warby Registered

there should be 0 nitrate not 10 or 50ppm. they are basically admitting they sell $hitt€ water. and I'd believe salifert over tetra.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice