1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured nitrate

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by djjohny1986, Nov 3, 2010.

1. djjohny1986

djjohny1986 Registered

aqua medic SR 400 reactor filled with sulphur beads would this be any good i dont know naything about theses u see

2. Evilscoop

Evilscoop Registered

not on its own

3. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

Sorry if were confusing you, Didn't realise you were so limited on space in you cabinet. You would be best either getting rid of some of the fish or getting a 4x2x2 with sump as this would give you around 500lts and fit in the same space.

Deb

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  4. djjohny1986

djjohny1986 Registered

ok then so the external filter what should i have in i was told to have filter floss but ppl say thats where nitrates hold

5. skitty

skitty Registered

My friend, you really need to get rid of some fish or your nitrates will get higher and higher, I don't think 25 is too bad but the higher it goes the more they will get stressed and possibly cause more probs like whitespot etc and then you will lose nearly all your fish, so my advise is to remove the damsels, borrow/buy a trap and give them away or sell them, your other fish will then have more room and be far happier which in turn will make you happy. :)

6. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

Filter floss but you HAVE TO cange it every week!

7. djjohny1986

djjohny1986 Registered

i know ppl keep saying this but to get them out i will need to move corals rocks ect and dont want to do that i just got it looking nice u see

8. djjohny1986

djjohny1986 Registered

so ill end up going though a hell of a lot of it then

9. skitty

skitty Registered

I removed 15 fish from my tank with a fish trap mate, you should try that first, you seem like a nice person but need to lsten to these guys as they know what they are talking about, I am under a year and tried things MY way and always regret not listening.

10. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

I'm not being funny but I am getting sick of repeting myself now for you just not to listen. Filter floss would be ok if you were NOT so over stocked! Its going to do ball all with all the fish you have in there. Maybe if you haven't got the dedication to take the fish out and have to "move some of your corals" then you should reconsider if this hobby is for you.

Deb

11. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

Your not taking any advise on board. I'm not going to post in this thread again. Every1 had give you loads of advise.
    It's simple if your tank stays how it is you will have problems as the fish are producing more nitrate than you can remove. Your fish will get stressed and the regal will get whitespot which could cause a whiteout in your tank then you will not be able to add any new fish for 6-8 weeks.

It's not hard to take some rock and corals out. It won't harm them just keep them in water.

It's simple remove some fish ( no cost) or leave it and loose £££ when tank goes pear shaped
    Or
    Spend hundreds on various equipment trying to keep no3 in check but you will properly struggle getting these to work correctly

Wayne.

12. lcutting87

lcutting87 Registered

That amount of fish in that size tank simple wont work no matter how many gadgets you add to your tank, as has been said you either need a bigger tank or less fish, simple as that really.

13. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

you have had some really expert advice as to what you need to do,simple GET RID OF SOME FISH :thumbup1:

14. alex5907

alex5907 Guest

It is simple do the maths my friend , ratio of sea water volume to ratio of fish swimming in it ! Natural sea water does not have an industrial nitrate reactor it's all about managing stock levels adding to many fish in a small aquarium will simply cause you endless problems , remember it's a marathon not a sprint

15. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I posted about nitrates a while ago, looks like people are right about the stocking, I appreciate why you have done it and cannot disagree with your choice.

My Nitrates were always high, didn't cause a problem, everything grew, fed well and so on but I wanted to decrease them as a matter of cause.

This is what I implemented:
    1. Reduced feeding, now feed frozen every few days and fish daily (once or twice).
    2. Added a Cleartides Suplhur reactor.
    3. Added a reactor and JBL BioNitratEx with carbon afterwards.
    4. Built a light for my Chaeto.

Comments on the above changes:
    1. No cost, instant change as in
    less waste produced.
    2. Small cost, and the some crazy plumbing. Output was 0-5ppm but it dripped at about 2 drops per second so would take a long time to give a real benefit on it's own. Sulphur reactors also take 1-4 weeks to set up, and can crash meaning a restart process of 1-4 weeks.
    3. Cost about £20 plus reactor and pump and no noticeable change in the output, however I cannot say it did nothing as it could have been the key thing to help.
    4. Not cheap, but my Chaeto now grows like crazy. Only really suitable when used in sump unless you filter sock it and give it shed loads of light.

Of the above changes, I think the reduced feeding made a huge difference. I went from 30-50ppm and now am stable at 5ppm and have removed the sulphur reactor and trimmed the Chaeto which is regrowing now.

Suggest for now you check your feeding and adjust if it's a lot.

As for the sulphur reactor, check the comments above as it can take a long time to work and then fail at any time.

Have you checked the Nitrate level of your mixed solution for water changes?

James

16. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

we don,t want to to think we are against you keeping your amount of fish but trying to save you heartache later on when your bio loadgets out of hand,which it will if you carry on as you are,but good luck to you

17. 4head

4head Registered

I have 1800 litres and 22 fish and I think I'm over stocked. Look dude ,put a fish trap in , your local lfs will rent you one prob. Put the food in the trap every day and the fish will get into a routine of going in for food. It will work. The filter floss does need to be changed every week. If you have nitrates of 25 then you will have phosphate of some sort, it just depends how good of a test kit you have. I have a phos reactor and bio pearls running and I still have a trace of phosphate. We don't need pics to see that you have a reactor we are only trying to help. If you don't start to listen to people with alot of experience on here they will stop posting on your threads because it seems it does just not go in. I don't know how many times now people have posted saying you need to remove some fish. I think this is the only way. I personally would not keep 1 tang, never mind 2 in 200 litres of water. Theres only one point you have to think about, the fish are not going to get smaller with time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice