1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Nitrate

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by dem77, Feb 16, 2012.

1. dem77

dem77 Registered

I am running a 350litre corner tank with a cannister filter underneath with plastic bio balls and ceramic rings inside it. I have a v2 skim 300 compact protein skimmer, ( I now know this should be bigger) and have 30kg of live rock with 10kg of ocean rock. currently there are only 5 fish 1 shrimp and 10 hermit crabs in there. The tank was set up the first week of november and all the fish are doing great. I have recently add a coral frag but when reading about them they seem to like perfect water conditions. I am concerned that my nitrate(No3) levels are 20ppm and have been since begining of january.They were 10ppm and have never been lower. I upped the water changes to 20% but they still the same. my question is what should change or add? would adding more live rock or putting a bigger skimmer in help. and if a new skimmer which make . thanks

2. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

firstly imo i would get rid of the ocean rock an replace it with live rock.if your only keeping fish, 20ppm is,nt a prob,but corals need to be lower.not a bad thing upgrading skimmer too.

3. Wilson

Wilson Registered

Hi mate, 20ppm isn't that bad really so don't worry too much. What I would change is the media in the filter canister. The ceramic rings and bio balls aren't much good for marines to be honest with you. I would look at using this for extra live rock or put carbon or rowaphos in it.

4. Wilson

Wilson Registered

oh yeah and as above with ocean rock, good for bulking the look out, but no good for filtration.

5. sick2death

sick2death Registered

I've got a deltec mce600 which is great - expensive new, often available secondhand, a few on ebay atm. You could get a better v2, although i dont think people rate them very highly. Loads of options for hang ons, try and get one thats over-rated for your tank.

Persoanlly, I'd ditch bio balls and rings, and use live rock rubble in an external - but opinions are a little mixed on this.

6. dem77

dem77 Registered

could the ocean rock be kept in there for show and i just add more live rock. i also forgot to say i run rowaphos in another h20 media reactor. Is it live rock rubble to go in the cannister?

7. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

ocean rock can leech nitrate an phosphate in2 ur tank,imo best get it out

8. dem77

dem77 Registered

Iv,e read the deltecs are the best, are there hang ons as good

9. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

MaRiNe_MaDnEsS Registered

What test kit are you using a NO3-N or a NO3

10. dem77

dem77 Registered

ok i will look in to that

11. dem77

dem77 Registered

it,s just no3

12. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

Are you sure as some say they test for nitrate but infact test for no3-n

13. dem77

dem77 Registered

it,s an api saltwater master test kit. it does ph,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate but only says no3 does this help?

14. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

Well IIRC. In this months issue of marine habitat magazine. If its an no3-n test kit divide by 4.4 and theres your magic number. Check your instructions

15. dem77

dem77 Registered

ok i will check them, thanks

16. dem77

dem77 Registered

it says . This test kit reads total nitrate(NO3) level in parts per million(ppm) which are equivalent to milligrams per litre (mg/l) from 0 ppm to 160ppm, in saltwater aquariums. This test kit measures nitrate as nitrate ion or total nitrate. ( other test kits that measure nitrate-nitrogen (NO3N will give readings 4.4 times less than this kit)

so does this mean i have to divide it by 4.4? i feel a bit dumb at this moment in time:tongue:

17. screwloose

screwloose Registered

what a bunch of hoo har,,,

ocean rock is pretty much non porous,,so where is it gonna leach from..?

in my opinion to the starter of the thread,,nitrates are quite low, 30kg of live rock will be plenty should you wish to remove the ocean rock,

the ocean rock as stated is ok for bulking out but generally turns green over time

as for skimmer, if you have no sump,,then maybe a deltec mce 600 hanging on the back, wuld depend how much room that you have for one etc

18. Inklinkerman

Inklinkerman Registered

What coral have you added? Different species are more/less demanding in terms of wated quality. Softies and lps would be fine at 10.
    as above 10ppm is not terrible but id deffinetly reccommend a mce600, its worth the price (around 100 second hand)

your problem is you are very efficiently turning ammonia into nitrite, and then into nitrate with bio balls etc, but not consuming the nitrates which then build up. You can export nitrates via water changes, growing algae etc or with a bigger skimmer.

If you dont have a sump w/c and hob skimmer is your best bet.

19. dem77

dem77 Registered

The coral is some sort of zoanthid P1030819.jpg not sure what type. does it look ok?

20. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

It looks nice and happy. How ever i would kill that aptasia in the centre

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice