1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Nitrate And Phosphate

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Jan 4, 2019.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

I noticed my bicolour blenny flicking quite vigorously over the last few days, but couldn't see anything on it. Watching for a while a couple of other fish are, but infrequently. Don't like medications, so tested all parameters (twice). I was mainly looking for ammonia or nitrite. What surprised me was the lack of any detectable nitrate or phosphate. I haven't really had to clean the tank glass at all, and after 3 months of being set up the rock work is just beginning to show signs of a green tinge. However, my refugium is growing chaeto and all manner of other algae at a fast rate. Within 2 days of putting a clean sock in I have long black stringy algae coming off it. The sump itself is covered in a bright green algae full of bubbles that I presume is photosynthesis. Is it possible that my refugium is using up all nitrate and phosphate as it's produced? Obviously I understand that's the idea of having one but my understanding is that soft corals require both nitrate and phosphate to produce protein etc?? If I need to raise the levels of these is it best to dose phosphate and nitrate or just reduce the time of the refugium lighting? Currently 12 hrs on a reverse cycle.
    On the note of the blenny I'm treating now for ich.
    Thanks IMG_20181228_094505.jpg IMG_20181228_094519.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice