• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Newby

Neiltd

Registered
Hello good people,

Today I had a visit by one of your administrators in his professional guise. We naturally struck up a conversation about my Marine Tank. He advised me to register on this site, which I have.

I am new to the Marine world but it really is fascinating and I love it. My wife bought me an Aqua One 275 for Christmas so it is very early days and I believe I, on occasion, have tried to run before I could walk. I have lost a few fish in the short time I have been into it and that is very upsetting and frustrating.
However, I won't give up and will keep the fish I still have for the time being while my tank matures a bit more. At the moment I have one black & white clown, one Pyjama Cardinal, one Coral Beauty and one Long Nose Hawk. There are also 6 x cleaner shrimp, 2 x hermit crabs, 2 x red starfish and 2 x blood red shrimp. There are also a couple of snails in there, I think. I also have 1 x halloween hermit but he has been banished to the sump as he started eating my Zoa coral. The other coral I have is a soft pink both of which are beautiful.
I have some chaeto algae in my sump but it is not doing very well, my visitor advised me that I have the wrong light in the sump which is giving off too much blue light, I therefore need a red light (I think, so the algae can grow. Can any of you good people advise me what is the best light for this so my chaeto can flourish and help my tank to flourish also.

Thanking you guys in advance

Newby Neil

Phil077

Registered
Hello good people,

Today I had a visit by one of your administrators in his professional guise. We naturally struck up a conversation about my Marine Tank. He advised me to register on this site, which I have.

I am new to the Marine world but it really is fascinating and I love it. My wife bought me an Aqua One 275 for Christmas so it is very early days and I believe I, on occasion, have tried to run before I could walk. I have lost a few fish in the short time I have been into it and that is very upsetting and frustrating.
However, I won't give up and will keep the fish I still have for the time being while my tank matures a bit more. At the moment I have one black & white clown, one Pyjama Cardinal, one Coral Beauty and one Long Nose Hawk. There are also 6 x cleaner shrimp, 2 x hermit crabs, 2 x red starfish and 2 x blood red shrimp. There are also a couple of snails in there, I think. I also have 1 x halloween hermit but he has been banished to the sump as he started eating my Zoa coral. The other coral I have is a soft pink both of which are beautiful.
I have some chaeto algae in my sump but it is not doing very well, my visitor advised me that I have the wrong light in the sump which is giving off too much blue light, I therefore need a red light (I think, so the algae can grow. Can any of you good people advise me what is the best light for this so my chaeto can flourish and help my tank to flourish also.

Thanking you guys in advance

Newby Neil

Tons of help on here. good bunch of people. Might be good to start a tank Thread Neil :thumbup1: so people can give advice on lighting tank/sump etc

diver 807

Registered
hello Neil ,:sign0016: to the forum. It seems to e that you have rushed it a bit.try not to add too much at once.take things a bit easy for a while, and plot your params so that we can see if there is something amiss. good luck.

mgreenough

Registered
Watch that long nose hawk with your shrimp, as he may snaffle them up as he gets bigger.

Chaeto is one of those algaes that either do well in peoples tanks or dont. I have never had much luck with it even though all other types grow. You may not have a large bioload for it to flourish.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Neiltd

Registered
I must admit, I have seen the Hawk have a go at some of the shrimp as they all seem to want to wrap it up and 'clean' it I guess. I love the Hawk though, it has loads of character and it makes me smile when it dances at the front of the tank.

As for the chaeto, I am hoping that once I get the correct light for the sump it will help the chaeto on as the bloke I got it from harvests his regularly. Its a bloke at work so I know him well and he has helped me a lot over these first few months.

Thank you to all the people who replied to my post on this forum.

Phil077

Registered
I must admit, I have seen the Hawk have a go at some of the shrimp as they all seem to want to wrap it up and 'clean' it I guess. I love the Hawk though, it has loads of character and it makes me smile when it dances at the front of the tank.

As for the chaeto, I am hoping that once I get the correct light for the sump it will help the chaeto on as the bloke I got it from harvests his regularly. Its a bloke at work so I know him well and he has helped me a lot over these first few months.

Thank you to all the people who replied to my post on this forum.

Get one of these bad boys Lumii 125W Grow Lamp I Take atleast a full carry bag from sump every 3 weeks. Growth is that Good :)