1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

New with small brown patches of algae!!

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by paul200881, Sep 16, 2009.

1. paul200881

paul200881 Registered

Hello, I have recently been and bought a nice new marine aquarium and started setting it up. I've not kept marine fish before and i'm looking forward to the challenge but i want to get it right and so haven't gone rushing in buying rocks, fish etc.

I have had it set up for about 3 weeks now with the water and filter all running and am planning to leave it a further three weeks before I start putting anything in it. The reason being I go on holiday on Friday and won't be here to sort out any problems.

However, yesterday i have noticed that there are small patches of algae starting to form across the substrate and a patch on the glass too. I am testing the water methodically and all seems ok there. The tank is positioned in the corner of the room where the window is but the blind is permanently drawn so no direct sunlight hits it.

Is it normal to have some algae or should I be getting something to combat this? I can't do much until i'm back but I don't want to be thinking about walking through the front door to a huge algae bush escaping the tank (slight dramatisation there).

Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm new by the way so be gentle with me.

2. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Paul, we are gentle with everyone, don't worry there.

Firstly will need a few questions answering.

What type of set up are you planning?? Fish only, FOWLR or full reef, (Descriptions found in What type of marine tank do you want, stickie at top of this section).

Secondly, what filter is running, what media are you using and do you have any powerheads in the tank.

It is likely diatoms you have growing but as you want to make sure everything is right, we can help by making sure you have the correct set up so far for what you intend to keep.

3. paul200881

paul200881 Registered

Hi :) thanks for your reply.

I have just read the section What type of tank and from the descriptions given I would say Reef. I really would like to keep corals and fish but if the equipment I have won't support that then i will happily adapt and have in it what I can.

I bought the tank which was advertised as 'everything needed to start'. Hmmm. The tank is an AquaMarine 900 (175l) and came with a MarySys Aqua One 240 filter system.

It has a protein skimmer and media in there are 3 x wool pads, 1 x carbon pad, Bio balls and CreamiSub Carbon Pillow.

The lighting: 2 x 24w white lights 1 x 36w blue light and 1 x 36w purple light. The blue and purple lights work together from the same switch as do the white lights from a seperate switch. The lights are on for about 10 hours a day.

The heater is 200w. Temp varies between 25 and 26 degrees.

The instruction manual refers to the filter power suply as the powerhead in which case there is just that one which sits inside the filter system and the output for this is 2 x 200 l/hr.

So with all that in mind it looks like I will be keeping a fish only tank which I am happy with to start. Maybe best to learn to keep them first before moving onto something bigger.

4. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Perhaps have a look to see what you would need to add to get to reef tank before making this decision. If you want to start fish only, look at reef bones for your rock, this will eventually become Live, after approc 6-8 months and then will aid your filtration.

Also, choose fish that will be reef safe, this way you can progress to reef tank without getting rid of your favourite fish.

What are you using as a source of ammonia to kick start the cycle. Also look at Filtration part 1, it explains the process the tank will go through whilst cycling.

Hope this helps, anything else, just ask. :--

5. paul200881

paul200881 Registered

I was planning on live rock. Was thinking I would put that in before the fish. I will read the Filtration guide but I think for now I will leave the other powerheads and go with what I have and spend some time choosing fish that will live with the coral at a later stage.

I have set the lights to less time (4 hours) and have adjusted the temperature.

I used a product called BacterLife to kick start the cycle but i don't think that covers the amonia. I haven't added anything specific for the amonia. I've been using an API Saltwater testing kit to test the levels and the reads have all been ok for amonia so far.

I won't be here for the next two weeks now so I will see what it looks like when I get back but thanks for your help thus far, it's good to be able to ask questions. There is so much information out there that it gets to a point where the things you read start to contradict each other and you're not sure what to do.

Off for some sun now - thanks again :)

Paul

6. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Ask away

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice