1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

New tank,

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by cds, Mar 27, 2011.

1. cds

cds Registered

Hi
    Got my son an aquel 55 litre tank yesterday, very nice looking nano on a stand with led lighting tile on a fixed hood.
    Question do I use water LR and sand from one of my other tanks to get this started or start from scratch RO salt LR?

Remembering he is about as patient as a gnat!!!!!!!

2. Ged

Ged Registered

You could use the water out of one of the other tanks on a water change, add some LR from another tank, and if it were me I would use new sand, and seed it with a cupfull out of the other tank.

You probably wouldn't get a cycle as such, but from my experience new sand is always followed by diatoms etc

3. cds

cds Registered

Thanks,

What would you recommend for media usage the tank has a small built in media chamber in the centre of the back of the tank which has the usual Blue sponge round ceramic stones and carbon sponge, but I don't think i would be able to get enough LR rubble in to be of any use so would I be better to just leave this chamber for floss and carbon only? I am planning on using a TMC nano skimmer and changing the 300 litre an hour PH to at least a 600 maybe a 1000. Would this be enough movement as I do not really want to put in an additional PH as want to keep it minimal inside.

Thanks again.

4. Kev

Kev Registered

For my new setup, I used brand new RO water. Once temp and sg stable I then just moved a few pieces of rock from the old setup to the new setup to help "mature" the water. 3 days later all in. Everything fine and well.

5. cds

cds Registered

Thanks KeV,
    Appreciated.

6. Rob Long

Rob Long Registered

As Kev says,I've recently swapped tanks and virtually piled everything in over a few days,as for the rear chamber,If your using LR you'll probably get away with nothing in there,issues arrise when cleaning, i've found it's better to let the rock do the work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice