1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

New Tank New Filtration

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by triscross, Feb 21, 2018.

1. triscross

triscross Registered

after running my 3 foot square tank with a dsb in the sump for 5 years or more iam having to down size to a tmc signature 900
    the sump on the signature is a lot smaller so i have bought a bm c3.5 and a bm 70
    my intention is to use bio pearls in the bm70 and rowa in the reactor i already have maybe an box of siporax and bring my chaeto from my old tank
    the tank change will need to be done in the day so i could do to get minimal stress or spikes
    any advice would be welcome

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

i would get one of the off the shelf bottles of bacteria to go in after the move

3. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

What fish are you moving over?

4. Realist

Realist Registered

As above do the change over and I would also use water from your old tank as well and add for example Dr Tims great stuff and that will help reseed your new sand and Siporax.

5. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Go easy with the pearls and make sure you follow the instructions on gradually building up the quantity used....especially if your new tank goes through a cycle. +1 on what @Realist says regarding the use of water from your old tank :)

Good luck with the move.

6. triscross

triscross Registered

thanks guys i appreciate all the comments i have 1 clown 1 yellow tang and a foxface do you think my idea on new filtration will work out or any advice on anything else
    i think i will buy new live sand too

7. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

have you got the tank already?

theu suffer from really slow flow, like 900lph through the sump.

just be aware of that. if you want more look at the xaqua overflow

8. triscross

triscross Registered

yes i already have the tank and dont see a big problem with 900lph the tank is 200l so thats over 4 times a hour and ill have 2 tunze nanostreams in the display

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice