1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured New shallow rimless tank build

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by richard, Nov 8, 2012.

1. richard

richard Registered

I'm in the planning stages of a new tank build, a custom shallow, rimless, braceless tank, measuring 79cm L, 32cm H, 35cm W, with the water level being around 25cm deep.

The front pane will be optiwhite with al the the other sides black vinyl.

I have asked around for some quotes and I am being told that it needs to be made in 10mm glass which I was surprised by as its such a shallow tank.

So I'm just wanting peoples opinions on this tank, I'm just not sure if such a shallow rimless tank will look right, and if it will end up looking bulky made in 10mm glass.

I have had quotes from Seashell and Fitfiltration, what are peoples opinions on the best place to go for a rimless tank ?

2. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

As its rimless the glass will need to be thicker to stop the glass flexing leading to failure

If two suppliers say 10 mm why risk going thiner they are the experts

I recently saw a rimless than made with 15 mm polished Optiwhite and the glass thickness didn't detract from the design at all

it was also fitted with a rear external weir to preserve the simple lines of a rimless design
    with the weir Combe perfectly matching the
    rear glass for colour

I have only seen rimless tanks with a coloured back, the two sides being coloured may detract from the effect you so desire?

Have you seen a tank with three coloured sides?

3. richard

richard Registered

Hi Clearwater, I understand that the 10mm is for safety reasons I was just a bit surprised thats all, I was originally looking at the ADA cubes and they do a rimless thank longer than this in only 6mm, so thats where my confusion as come from.

I don't intend to have a sump so there won't be any wier, I am planning on using the new tunze comline filter and skimmer in the corner of the tank.

Tunze Reefpack 250 Comline - Tynwald Pet Centre

To be honest I haven't actually seen a tank with the sides colored, its just I have had a lot of tanks in the past and the side panes always became pointless, one of the side always seems to be next to a wall so it cant be viewed. In the past I've always neglected the cleaning of the side panes and they have either become covered with coraline or algae over time, so it just makes sense to me to have them black, hopefully this will help to hide the filters and pumps in the corners as well.

I do understand where you are coming from though, the idea of an optiwhite rimless tank is to look minimal and the black sides will probably detract from that, I'll have to think about it.

4. richard

richard Registered

What is your opinion on the actual dimensions of the tank, long and shallow, the idea is to gain allot of space for corals without increasing the water volume too much, and the shallower water will also increase the amount light for the corals.

5. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Aesthetically, I'd be a little cautious. It seems like you are trying to create a coral tray. If I am right, then I see these problems:
    1. Limited Live Rock Space, you'll be looking for 6-7kg of rock with good flow around it for a capacity of 63.2l (assuming a water height of 25cm)
    2. Looking from above is a bit of a pain unless it turn off all power heads. Looking through a side pane is much clearer
    3. All kit, as in skimmer (reef pack in your case), heater, carbon and maybe phosphate material will be in the display tank.

You might want to consider a weir and sump to increase the water volume, and hide your kit.

Anyway, not trying to be a pain, just sharing my thoughts.

James

6. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

AqaaX work well with rimless as well

The Rimless is a minimal look for which you pay a premium, with a filter in the corner, I cant visualise what is trying to be archived

also agree a deep tank would look better balanced

what lighting 6x T5 are OK for SPS at 20"
    or LED for the minimal look

7. richard

richard Registered

Ideally I would go with a sump, however I still live with my parents and my last 2foot cube with sump flooded the up stairs so it's sadly no longer an option.

I curently have a river reef 48 with the filter compartment in the back, but even though the general idea of that is to have all the equipment out of the way in the back, without the lid on you can still see all the equipment, wires etc and it takes up quite allot of room.

I was planning on using reef bones, mainly plating and branching pieces, my lfs gets lots of nice really small bits in so I was planning on creating a scape with that, maybe even having some pieces coming out of the water.

I've always used led's on my tanks so thats the way i will be going, lots of options to choose from, was planning to go for the eco-lamps kr90, however I was really disappointed at the output when I saw one the other day, especially when it was an 80w fixture.

I've spoke to a few marine stores and they all seem to be recommending 2 Aquabeam 1500xg Ocean Blue units, I had good results with the 1000hd tiles on my old cube so will probably go down this route.

Regarding what I'm trying to achieve its hard to say really, I'm having to work around certain limitations regarding how much water I can have, how big the tank looks, etc, and a long shallow tank seemed to be a good option.

Also i didn't mention that the cabinet this tank is going on is 79cm long which is the reason for the length of the tank.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  8. richard

richard Registered

Thinking about it there was a tank I have seen on a forum, not sure if it was this one, where someone had a wall mounted shallow tank made of acrylic with the back and sides blue, that may be where I'm getting my inspiration from, but I think that tank had a filter compartment at either side of the tank.

9. richard

richard Registered

The first ideas I had were based around this image, using all Tunze equipment including there new led units but I have decided against them now, but looking at the pick that tanks probably about the same size as the one I'm planning, just slightly shallower.

[​IMG]

10. richard

richard Registered

And I appreciate peoples thoughts, it's helpful to hear other peoples views on my ideas, they may sound good in my head but then after I spend all this money it turns out wrong.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Nice looking tank

have you seen the new TMC Signature Optiwhite range

may be a cheaper option taking a mass produced unit

450 Cube
    600 x 450 x300
    600 x 459 x 450

12. richard

richard Registered

I was considering the 600 x 450 x 300, but assuming the height is 300mm then it is slightly too small, as the skimmer is 305mm including the cup, so the cup would be just above the tank which could be a problem if it was to overflow.

Its a shame TMC don't do custom sizes.

13. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

650 x 450 x 450

14. richard

richard Registered

I think that will be too tall, but I will check as it could be an easier option than having a tank made, the only other downside is having to paint the sides myself, unless TMC have this service .

15. richard

richard Registered

Just looked and the 600 x 450 x 450 is £189.95.

The highest quote I got for the 79 x 35 x 32 was only £180 and thats with the sides in vinyl.

The fact that its only 6mm glass is still appealing though.

16. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Richard you can have almost anything in this world as long as you are prepared to pay

TMC offer a low price, on the basis of bulk production, its a take it or leave scenario

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice