1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

New Setup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ClearlyConfused, Mar 25, 2017.

1. ClearlyConfused

ClearlyConfused Registered

Hello Everyone,

As the title states I'm starting a new Setup and am just trying to sort equipment and general stuff out.
    So far I have ordered
    Reefer 170
    Deltec 1351 skimmer
    Jebao DCP4000 return pump
    300w heater

Things I already have are
    Approx 15kg rock (is Marco rock that is currently in another tank)
    AI prime HD light

I would like to add a couple of powerheads and have been looking at the Jebao rw4 or even the Jebao sw2, not sure yet on what is more suited to this tank. As for substrate I'm thinking along the lines of 1-2mm grain size coral sand, any recommendations or advice would be welcome.

If I have forgotten anything or you have any suggestions please let me know.

Cheers

Mark

2. nodster

nodster Registered

Hi mark welcome to salty box plenty of help and advise here , looks like you are on to a good start with your equipment list , I would suggest the rw-4 I have one in mine and is a great little pump

3. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

:sign0016: looking forward to seeing your tank take shape. Lots of great advice on here :w00t:

4. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Welcome to TSB :clap:

5. ClearlyConfused

Thanks for the info on the rw4 [MENTION=23241]nodster[/MENTION], I wasn't sure if they would be too big size wise that's why I looked at the sw2 which is an upgraded version of the rw4, although not as much output as the rw4. Would you recommend 2 rw4s on the reefer 170 and what would be ideal placement (although it does depend on rock placement).

6. ClearlyConfused

Also I'm trying to sort out the sump area before it gets filled and was thinking of adding a dosing unit in there ready for when I need it, are the aqua medic ones any good/reliable?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

:sign0016: to te forum

8. nodster

nodster Registered

Hello mate its upto you really on how many rw4 you put in I have an 8 and a 4 on either side of tank but then mines the 350 , also depends on what your thinking corals wise in the future sps coral need a lot of flow however lps don't need much , mine are not nearly on full power as it just two much flow so mine turned down very much , no idea on aqua medic doser as never had one , I use a jaboa one that performs pretty good but can't compare to others as not owned anything else , hope that helps a bit Big Thumbs Up

9. ClearlyConfused

Thanks for the replys,

Do wavemakers cause major problems on the reefers with the weir system or do they still run virtually silent with wavemakers running?

I would be putting the wavemakers on the back wall either side of the weir, is this a good or bad idea? Its looking like i will either go with 2 rw-4s or 2 sw-4s not much difference between the 2 apart from if i'm correct the SW4s are just a newer version.

With regards to the Jebao doser are they quiet and reliable?

As for the substrate i was thinking of just a thin(ish) layer of reeflowers 1-1.5mm sand and just getting a 6kg tub.

Sorry loads of questions, but better to get a bit of advice if i can. Once i have the equipment and stuff i will start a new tank build thread.

10. nodster

nodster Registered

I find I have more noise from the skimmer than the wave makers and no doesn't effect the way the wier works ,your plan on placement is as I have them its just about tweaking the direction of flow and power so you don't get sand blowing about while getting good all round flow in a bid to stop debris from settling

as for the doser you will here the motor turning as it doses every now and again whether that's the same with all dosers I'm not sure on , but yeh once calibrated its not missed a beat in the year ive had it

11. CEECH

CEECH Registered

:sign0016: to the forum :) if you use the help and advise section you will most likely get more answers and input to any of your questions :) see below link in my signature

12. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Welcome Big Thumbs Up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice