1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured new setup new diary

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by shelaghfishface, Sep 24, 2009.

1. shelaghfishface

shelaghfishface Registered

well rehomed the carpet nem as most will know.. what a difference in the fish, they must have been a bunch nervous wrecks, they seem to have much more confidence since it went last night, and not hiding much at all... maybe just coincidence tho
    [​IMG]

2. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

That is looking really nice Shelagh :-- :))

3. jennybugs

jennybugs Registered

Seconded! A lovely tank indeed hun ;_00

4. shelaghfishface

thankyou so much :)

nitrates are still over 100 even after a further water change of 40l this morning :cry:

5. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

What nitrate test are you using Shelagh??

6. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps get someone to double check your nitrate result. But with the tank being recently moved i would let everything settle for 10 days before testing again. A high nitrate reading won't kill anything.
    If after 10 days your nitrate is still 100 you'll need to do some big water changes. 10% water changes will be next to useless. For example if you have a nitrate of 100 and do a 10% change your nitrate will only go down to 90. I would be tempted to do a 50% water change to get you to about 50 nitrate then a few 25% water changes.
    Hope this helps
    Rob

p.s. give the tank time to settle first after being moved

7. shelaghfishface

thanks robbo.that makes sense, and i kind of know about the small WC being a waste of time ( maths of dilution), hence why i asked about the very large WC.. but seems thats too risky, and for the time being at least all the livestock are looking fine, tho i cant say how long that will be the case of course...but apprently definatly not cause for such drastic action just yet.

Tina its a salifert and an API master kit, they are both telling me the same thing- tho salifert is easier to read

8. kbekl

kbekl Registered

try a sera test kit next time you are looking for kits they are more accurate

9. wydchr

wydchr Registered

I thought the D+D/Merck phosphate test kits are generally thought to be the best, Salifert for everything else??

David.

10. kbekl

kbekl Registered

d+d one is a one of the best but comes at a price lol

people who dose zeovit that are after ultra low nutrients use sera kits these are as accurate as the d+d but not as pricey and alot easier to read than salifert

11. shelaghfishface

well i did a 50%( 130L so about 50% give or take for displacement) water change this evening, all went really well and quite fast actually, tested an hour after the WC and nitrates were reading 40ppm.( previously 100+)
    going to test again in the morning and water change on thursday again if needs be
    i`ll let you know how im getting on :)

12. shelaghfishface

well no effect there.. reading 100 again this morning, i didnt have any expectations so not overly disapointed

13. kbekl

kbekl Registered

whats the date on your test kit ??

thats a bit odd tbh should have kept it low for at least a few days

look at a sera nitrate test kit

14. shelaghfishface

its 2011 kebkl
    anyway on a better note, they have started to drop, today is 40 on an API test and 50 on a salifert PH is also up to 8.2,so thats good news- i hope
    some updated pics of the tank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

That is looking stunning Shelagh.

You should be proud of that
    :--

16. Reefcubeboy

Reefcubeboy Registered

Looking really well there, nice to see your water levelling out nicely and nitrates still dropping well

17. shelaghfishface

thanks both :)
    i am really proud of this tank well both of them, its been such hard work but at last im getting to see the rewards :) the other one has been kind of neglected for the time being and is covered with aiptasia so next week i start work fixing that up :)
    thankyou for all your help and support right the way through i cant tell you gratefull i am for it, would never have come this far without you!

18. shelaghfishface

some photos i took today.. im starting to feel really proud of the tank now :love:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]this was part of the swap for the nem, now ive moved it its started to open
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

scuse the powerhead stuck to the front of the tank, waiting for a more powerfu one to turn up

19. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Shelagh, looking really good :--

Some really nice photos there and tank is looking stunning chuck.

Even that Yellow Fiji Leather seems to be thriving atm.

Nice selection of corals you got with that tank :--

20. shelaghfishface

thanks Tina, actually i got a few after, the large polyps were pt ex for nem as was the pussy coral, and some xenia ( that ive lost :oops: ) the large green mushrrom was in my other tank till yestrday then i remebered some one saying something about "tang fodder" with regards to the green grassy stuff growing on it-- he loves it lol. the large leather/blue zoas i bought a few days ago,and the large zoa rock is also from my other tank, which ive decided to sell on now as im getting much more enjoyment from this tank and cant possibly afford to run / fill, 2
    i think that sulphur toady has had its nervous breakdown period, it did curl up for while, but since the nitrates started to drop it seems happy as larry.
    im really enoying things now, feels like im over the worst of things, nitates is a definate 50 today, going to do a few more water changes,and move sand out bit by bit with syphon, then i hope it`ll stay that way

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice