1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured new setup new diary

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by shelaghfishface, Sep 24, 2009.

1. shelaghfishface

shelaghfishface Registered

hello,
    some of you may know that i bought a second full setup 2 days ago, afew things about it attracted me, mainly the fact that it had a sump
    well the story goes something like this......
    i had planned to taking the car to collect it, but yesterday morning i woke up with a knot in my tummy that told me it was never going to fit- so managed to persude my ex to hire a van to collect,thing is that there wasnt one availible till after 12 lunchtime,which meant that i couldnt go to collect as i would be late for the children from school so all i could do was send all the water carriers,boxes etc that i have, i also called the guy i was buying off and explained, he was fine about it and said he would get on with stripping and packing
    so 3.30 i get home from collecting them to find my drive way blocked with boxes and buckets-no lie!!
    the tank was a heck of a lot bigger ( and heavier) than i had imagined~ the sump is the size of one of my trop tanks lol
    so we got to work, first shifting everything into the garage out of the way
    [​IMG]
    then i started cleaning and assembling the stand and sump ( by this time my ex had dissapeared as it was about to turn into a major fall out!!)
    [​IMG]
    having never had a sump before i can honestly say that it IS rocket science!! about an hour later im almost done
    [​IMG]
    then i finished building that stand around it, by about which time the ex came back ( thankgoodness, its deffo not a one person job)
    so tank placed on the stand, i got to work on the connections- guess who had no idea it was a drilled tank :oops: :lol:
    then the rock was placed in then sand, then water, sump filled.. then turned everything on, both pipes were leaking,so i dropped the water level and it took 3 of us to sort that out ( thankgod for teenage sons with long skinny arms-oh and a wooden spoon to hold the screw in place as i turned the pipe- the other one needed pushing into place which is no easy task in that much space)
    turned it all on again- no leaks :) ( my ex made me laugh, when i asked for a towel he brought me a tea towel,and when i gave hime a stinking look he went to collect a few bath towels- totally unessesery to him- till the leak lol)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we had to put the light on the "wrong way" as it wouldnt sit on top of the tank due to be too short and didnt have the brackets to hang it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    by the time we had almost got done, one of the fish ( coral beauty) was on her side in the box- had added a heater but she had just had enough so i had to get her in fast...shes fine as i type, been eating and is swimming happily so far as i can tell, had had a warning from the prev owner regarding the carpet anemone that it would sting me, so used rubber gloves to get it in and took a while as it was very happily attached to the plastic box, then it didnt want to let go of my rubber gloves..eewww.
    finally got to bed about 11pm... hadnt made as much mess as i thought i would either ( thats down to my ex being so organised lol)
    so of course i get up at 5am to cheack everything is ok...and it is :)
    these are pics from this morning
    [​IMG]

anyway few things i have to do today
    sort out the white light on the halide- it worked when i tested it but wont now ( didnt get knocked or anything)so we only have blue atm
    get the doors fitted
    test the water
    tidy the garage lol ( looks like a bomb has hit it)

forgot to tell you what fish are in there:
    Yellow/Silver Wrass
    Dusky Tang ~got stuck in the net ( should have used a jar or something) but seems fine now
    Algae Benny ~ he is so funny!
    Coral Beauty dwarf Angel fish~ didnt take well to being in the box for so long but again, seems perfectly fine now its back in the tank
    they have all found "theyre places" in the tank and seem happy to be home

the corals are :
    huge carpet anenome~ re homing
    toadstool
    sulphur toadstool
    large star polyp
    big mushroom covered rock
    and a few zoas

was really hard work but definatly worth it :) of course advise is welcomed.
    shelagh xxx

2. shelaghfishface

[​IMG]
    couldnt fit that pic in the 1st box..this of course is going to be rehomed.. i read that they kill fish :shock:

3. fishmaduds

fishmaduds Registered

Great thread.............please keep us updated

4. Reefcubeboy

Reefcubeboy Registered

Wow shelagh..you really have caught the bug girl !!!
    Nice buy there and good luck with it.......... :))) :)))

5. ian34

ian34 Registered

Well done getting all that sorted out without a break down :-:eek:

Looking really nice ;_00

6. daveo_irl

daveo_irl Registered

That is an impressive anemone!! :shock:

7. kbekl

kbekl Registered

looking really good

shame about the light unit it could be that the bulb has sliped out of place or undone a little

8. shelaghfishface

Thanks everyone :)
    Kbekl~ you are spot on, it had just moved out of place :)
    [​IMG]
    some of the fish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] - very fave.. hes soooo funny
    i cant find the wrasse anywhere.. he was fine last night.. is he just likley to be hiding?
    cant put the doors on as i appear to have lost a hinge-- oh well
    just going to do a WC on the other tank then im coming back to shift some coraline and test.

shelagh xxx

9. shelaghfishface

panic over ,found him, must have fancied a lazy morning :)
    [​IMG]

10. kbekl

kbekl Registered

my jade wrasse hides in the morning under the sand most of the time and comes out midday

11. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Great going Shelagh. The bug has well & truly bit u...like myself...

My wrasse goes to bed in the sand bed & comes out around 8 in the morning.

I really like your yellow (bannana) wrasse

Dave

12. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Well done Shelagh :)) :))

Very nice going, considering you had not seen the sump running, then you thought it was rocket science, it seems to be going well now.

You have some nice fish in there too :grin:

Looking forward to you making yours now :))

13. shelaghfishface

thankyou Tina :) your opinion means a lot.- was hard work setting up the sump.. but got there in the end :) ( theres all sorts in there,shrimp etc)

the wrasse dosent seem to be feeding, ive tried herbivore flakes,sinking pellets, normal flakes ( dont worry just a weeny bit of each in turn) hes deffo looking for food just cant seem to find it, i know i probably shouldnt worry just yet, but maybe theres nothing there suitable for him?- the others seem fine with it

have cleaned the coraline off the front and off one side of the tank.. so now i have a beautiful view from the kitchen too :)

14. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Try some frozen brine with garlic if you have some Shelagh for the wrasse.

Garlic can get stressed fish eating again.

May just need a few days to settle, did you ask what he had been feeding on Shelagh??

15. shelaghfishface

right here are the test results for this tank.. not good :(
    PH 7.4
    nitrates-80-160 ( the colour) is very dark red so could be either or even higher)
    ammonia-0
    PO4-0.25
    SG - 1.028

details of the sump
    1st section-black sponge,skimmer
    2nd black sand ( light)shrimp and other critters
    3rd thin black sponge, black sand white floss bag of carbon as far as i can tell -return pump
    there is the smallest amount of hair algae on the back of the tank, apart from that none
    help ...please :)

16. shelaghfishface

oh also forgot to say that the wrasse has now eaten.. he had some minced prawn.. last thing i could think of

17. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Firstly, those black sponges probably want changing, do you have some filter floss or something, change one at a time though atm.

Get some phosphate remover in the same section as the carbon, or somewhere else in flow.

The SG needs to come down a little to 1.026. Make sure you are topping off, mark the level on the side of the sump that it will run at. Top off back up to this level when topping up from evap.

Probably going to need to do some waterchanges, use water at a slightly lower sg than 1.026, using this will help correct the SG in the tank.

May be an idea to use some fresh carbon too if not already done.

pH is low as nitrates are high, Nitrate causes the pH to lower, hopefully this will correct as you lower nitrates.

Could also use some polyfilter or similar (one of free advertisers has there own brand) to help bring the nitrates and phosphates down too.

Good news on the wrasse though :--

18. shelaghfishface

hia Tina :)
    right ok, ive got floss and ive got a spare tub of Rowaphos so ill get those in now, ill get some carbon tommorow
    do i need to completly chuck the sponges ( one at a time) or just wash them and put thm back in?

got plenty of RO water here as the delivery came this morning so i can do water changes no problem ( wish the unit would hurry up and arrive) what amount would you recomend and how often?- is it safe to bring them down fast--assuming i could of course
    theres also some cheeto in the middle bit of the sump

brb have to collect my son x x x

19. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Personally I would dump them and use floss instead.

just swap one at a time as they will probably contain bacteria that will have been sharing the load of the dintrification.

The system can alter gradually if you swap the media gradually too. Just leave a few days inbetween the different swaps.

Personally I would not bring them down fast, I would rather the fish and inverts in there got a gradual reduction, probably 10% ish w/c every other day. I have kept nitrate sensitive freshwater fish, and prefer the gradual approach. Less stress that way too.

20. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

Wow you have been busy !!!! Looking great and once again you are putting in alot of hard work :))) I realy like that anemone shame you are so far away :-(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice