1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured new marine keeper

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by luvit49, Aug 28, 2009.

1. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

hello every one ,hope i can get some much needed help for me and my new tank .I recently started a 25 gallon saltwater tank ,would have loved bigger but just not enough room :| i set the tank above a 15 gallon sump giving me 40 overall ,split the sump into 3 sections one for the return from the main tank witch runs into a compartment full of bio balls then over into the middle compartment witch is a deep sand refugium with some grape caulerpa and live rock then over to the return pump ,up to a rena philstar ,witch is full of filter floss and back into the tank ,o forgot to mention 2 inch arogonite sand and 29 pounds of live rock in the main tank ,up to now all the water tests have been good ,nitrite and amonia zero nitrate just above zero ,phosphates 0.25 thankfully due to the RO water P H around 8.4 ,the 2 main things bothering me is the lighting ,i have 2x t5 22inch tubes 24 wats each both 10000k ,is that enough lighting for soft corals and inverts ,how long should i keep then turned on ,forgot to say one is marine blue also have a slight brown alge forming just on top of the rocks tank is only 2 weeks old im also a bit worried about how fast the tank has matured ,do i need to be concerned

2. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

As long as the tank is not over 18" those lights should be fine for soft corals.

The brown algae on the sand is diatoms. Shows the tank is cycling fine.

Get some snails, variety of Cerith, Turbo / Astraea and Nassarius. Some will turn the sand bed, some will eat algae, some will do both.

Keep an eye on water tests.

3. reefreak33

reefreak33 Registered

Hi and :-o to tsb. The lights will be fine for softies and inverts m8, have them switched on for about 10 hrs a day. The brown you are getting in your tank now will be diatoms, part of the cycle. If the live rock was good quality the tank will cycle pretty quick, just keep checking over the next few days for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If all is well then you should be good to go with some CUC.

4. Kev

Kev Registered

Hi. Look forward to seeing some pics of your tank. :-o

5. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

thanks for the quick and helpfull replys ,will get some pic of the tank on here as soon as i find how to upload onto here :--

6. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

just checked my tank size its 24 inch wide x24inch deep x22inch high ,will i still be ok for lighting for soft corals with my 2 t5s or do i need more light

7. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Is 22" the water line??

8. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

hi Tina ,its 19 inch to the water line and another 4 inch to the lights ,i added 10 hermits today and will add the same amount of snails next week ,should help to kep it clean

9. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

That should be OK. Is there space in the hood to add an extra tube later on if required??

The lighting you have should be fine for softies and some LPS. Keep more light demanding species near the top of the tank.

10. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

ok thanks for that , yeah plenty of room for another tube if needed

11. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

i`ve found a very large bristle worm in my sump and 2 smaller ones in the main tank ,the big one in the sump has to be at least 4ins long,i think that one definately has to go ,not sure about the others

12. reefreak33

reefreak33 Registered

Just leave them in there m8. They're great CUC.

13. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

cuc ?

14. Kev

Kev Registered

clean up crew

15. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

ok,thanks kev :oops:

16. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

i`ve got a red sea prizm skimmer running in my sump ,do i need to skim 24/7 its a noisy little beast and sometime does`nt even produce a quarter of a cup a day

17. Kev

Kev Registered

I personally would skim 24/7. I don't think the skimmer you are running is the best on the planet mind?

18. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Kev your right, the Red Sea Prizm is a notoriously bad skimmer.

Have you got the collection cup as low as possible and as much air as possible. Sorry don't know exactly how to set these, I avoided them due the reputation.

19. luvit49

luvit49 Registered

yeah you`re right its def not the best skimmer ,only have to breathe on it and it stops skimming ,think i`ll have to get another more reliable make

20. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

The deltec mce 300 and mce 600 are good skimmers and they are getting cheaper and always come up 2nd hand on ebay :--

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice