1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured New lobo coral

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by richard, Jan 11, 2011.

1. richard

richard Registered

Just added a new lobo coral to my tank today that I ordered of the net, It's been in the tank all day and it's not looking too good.

When the package came it was leaking and when opened the coral wasn't in allot of water and I am quite sure that as it was moved through transit parts of the coral probably were out of water.

There is quite allot of the skeleton exposed, does it just need time to settle or could this be bad.

2. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

pic would help mate....

3. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

It should recover but will take some time to heal. It could also be sulking big time, how long have you had it in your tank?

4. richard

richard Registered

Its been in since 10 this morning and didn't look any better when the lights went off at 8.

I'll have a look in the morning to see if it looks any better.

Some of my soft corals sulked for up to a week when they were first put in but all my lps have always been okay.

5. Ged

Ged Registered

See how it goes mate, most corals slime up to protect when they are out of water, just like in the sea, when the tide goes out.

Hopefully yours will recover.

A piccie would be good though to let others help diagnose etc

6. Marine Life UK

Normally they should be, but the lobo was out of water. Id expect if itsdue to sulkng it should puff up and look better within a coupleof days max. If it's caused some die off then it nay be a long process but as I say should recover

7. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

Has above see how it is tomorrow ,if not happy try and pop a pic on ,and we can give you more advise

8. richard

richard Registered

It looked slightly better today but the skeleton is still exposed, I'll have a look tomorrow and if it's no better I'll take put a pic up.

Thanks everyone.

9. Carlos

Carlos Registered

Have you notified the supplier as well mate just incase, I think some will give a refund. I had a doa a few years back had to take pics and send them but they refunded,

10. Marine Life UK

I dont think its DOA but as above contact the supplier.

11. ste@fishworld

[email protected] Registered

lobos dont like alot of light so try putting them under a over hang for a cup of days. and it want help that it has been in a dark bag so long the coral will go in to shock if you give it to much light to fast

12. richard

richard Registered

Its currently about half way up the tank about 50cm below two aquaray tiles, is that too much light ?

It is slightly covered by an organ pipe coral that is about 6 inch above it.

I have add allot of problems with the seller, he told me that the coral had been sent about two months ago and then when it didn't turn up he wouldn't answer my calls.

He then decided last week that he hadn't actually sent the coral and that he still had it and now I have finally got it about three months after I bought it.

There's no way he would give me a refund, it would take me a month just to get in contact with the guy.

13. Carlos

Carlos Registered

might be worth posting where you got it from so it will help others if you have had problems mate. sounds like he took the pee out of you there

14. richard

richard Registered

Not sure really, don't want to start trouble with him.

He was a free advertiser on here but he doesn't seem to be listed any more so he's probably left.

15. Ged

Ged Registered

Or removed for poor service. You can PM if you want, with the name.

If it hasn't deteriorated over the last 24 hours or so you may be in with a chance mate, normally once they start to go, it's quite fast.

16. Marine Life UK

I would imagine that it will pic up and as I previosly said it take some time to do this. The other thing you should do to help tissue recovery is give it a occasional feed.
    I would imagine that light wise it should be ok but hard to say without seeing it

17. richard

richard Registered

Looked slightly healthier yesterday, better coloration but skeleton still exposed, but I'm feeling more positive than when it first arrived.

I tried to feed it some mysis yesterday but it wouldn't take them, is that a bad sign ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice