1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured New Forum Updates. Please Read. 21_10_15

Discussion in 'Salty Box News' started by Bluez_01, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

We are currently under way of getting the forum back up to speed, many of you will have seen various posts on what we have been doing and what is planned to be done still.

So I thought it would be a good to try and place what we have done in one thread so you can see in a glance what has been fixed/improved.
    As we fix and sort out the forum, we will add it to this section so you can see where we are at.

Fixed:
    Improved the overall speed of the forum by around 30% some code has been implemented, and some errors have been sorted, the results of which has increased the loading speed.

Image attachments: We know this has been a pain for many, however we have sorted out a basic upload for you guys now, so you no longer need to "hotlink" from image hosting sites, instructions below.

Go to "Settings"... On the left side panel select "General Settings"... Scroll down to the bottom of the page "Miscellaneous Options" and select "Enhanced Attachment Uploading off"... You should now be able to get the pop-up box for upload attachments.
    This issue has been caused mainly by Adobe Flash, as you may of read in the news/internet many browsers stopped supporting it due to potential security risks, which forced Adobe to update there code, in turn this prevented most flash uploads to stop functioning properly.

"Guests" As a guest of the site in the past, we have allowed you to freely search the entire site for threads/posts, however due to the strain this puts on our servers we have now turned off this feature, as a guest you are still free to browse most of our areas without limitation, however to be able to search the entire site/download images/etc... you will now need to sign up with us, we have not done this to force you to sign up (though I can not understand any reason why you would not want to sign up as we are a friendly bunch honest :-d ) instead we have done this to improve the experience and speed we can offer to our members. So what are you waiting for? Sign up now!

We have moved all our sponsor images to our own server, these are the ones that load up on the forum pages across the site, we found that because some of the links were hosted on other servers outside of our control, it would only take one of these servers to be slowed for whatever reason, and this would have a knock on effect for ourselves. So we have now moved these images to our server to host direct to our members.

Twitter feed side bar menu has been removed, this was not very popular and was taking up some bandwidth refreshing for new posts/updates, so we decided that it would be better to have this removed. If the time comes again that we feel it is a benefit to the site, we will put it back in again, however for the foreseeable future, this will not be happening.

Thanks Administration Team.

2. reefloat

reefloat Registered

all good moves, nothing showing on the facebook activity sidebar though, tweet button on top banner bar seems inactive and wonder what its purpose is? not criticisms just observaions Big Thumbs Up

3. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Facebook is on the to-do list, but thought I would sort out the speed of the forum first and then get on to the "shiny bits"... :biggrin:
    Tweet button on top banner I missed to be honest, but will remove that in the next day or two, thanks for the heads up on it... Big Thumbs Up

4. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

my speed is still very slow.

5. reefloat

reefloat Registered

strange, fine for me, but then I have upgraded to BT infinity (at no extra cost I might add, download speed gone from 1mb to nearly 4mb)

6. trout

trout Registered

I have followed your instructions fully. Attachments are working now. Thank you.

7. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

*Fixed* Livestock template, it should now display correct names that are related to livestock classifieds, it should also display what the thing is in the description on the main Thread, pics can be attached (see above on how to do this if you get the white box for uploads). It should now post in the Livestock Thread, and not in Equipment thread.

As always, any issues with this, let me know.

Thanks

8. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Its Here.... Muwhaahahaahaaaaaa, Halloween is nearly upon us, and spooky going on`s is upon the Forum....

If its not your cup of tea though, go to your Settings... then General settings on the left side panel, and 3/4 way down, select Forum Skin: -> TSB V4.1 which will take you back to the default one.

Happy Halloween, though it nearly wasn`t, but I managed to tweak the template in.... Big Thumbs Up

PS. If your using Taptalk, you won`t see the Halloween theme as it is on browsers only, sorry!

A little "Thanks or Like" on this post is appreciated, it only took me 3 hours to get the Halloween Template sorted out... Hysterical
    If not I hope the Ghouls come to haunt you.... :taunt:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  9. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

that's better ,quicker now

10. warby

warby Registered

Since you have done the tweeks iv now got to change the pixel size of my pics to below 600x800 but before they uploaded no trouble using tapatalk.
    Pics are taken with my phone so it's a p.i.t.a. to put them on pc change pixel size then upload.

Any ideas?

11. penzo

penzo Registered

Liking the spooky theme.

12. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Hmmm, One that springs to mind warby, because the Image resizer wasn`t working before but now it is, it is checking the size of the file (pixels) and overall size of the file, 600x800 is default size for uploading, and I believe the max size is 1 meg, The issue we now have, is if we increase the sizes we are just putting load back on the server again, making it slower as it needs to process the image to bring it down to 600x800 for it to post.

I know most phones now take pictures at and above 1024x1080, but with that comes the size of the file as well, upwards of 5megs+, 100 users uploading this is half a gig, plus processing power to load these images up when you come to the forums, so its a fine balance of giving members what they want, but also making sure the forum can cope with it, I can adjust the image size in pixels I should imagine, but really need to keep the image size down in megs, can you give me an idea of a typical picture on your phone? pixel size and size in KB or MB, to give me an idea of what we can do to try and fine a happy balance somewhere?

It may mean setting your detail level down a touch on your phone picture quality, rather than HD, but I just know that opens up a whole new can of worms, as many will start to complain about image quality... So, lets try and find the balance, see if you can set your picture quality down a bit, and see what size they come out as, then we can see what we can sort out from there mate.

Thanks

13. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

love the haloween colours should keep it.

14. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Dont go there diver.... Hysterical I am going grey/white as it is....

15. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

have a couplle of shots.and relaxfor a few hrs,you have my permission lol

16. warby

warby Registered

Cheers for the reply bluez took 2 screen shots of 2 random info screens of tank pictures phone is a galaxy S6. I can turn the setting down but when I zoom in on my phone (on camera app for coral far away) on a low setting it's just blurry and no point taking it lol.
    I understand about 100 people putting up 5mb pics and slowing server down e.t.c.

If i was to use photo bucket or another photo hosting site could I upload there in full res and post the img code here?

Aparently I don't have permission to upload a screen shot here????

17. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Yes mate you always have the option of hosting on other sites and Hot linking it, this is fine in lets say, My Tank Thread, or your Profile, however I would advise against it in places like Classifieds, as this is a heavy traffic area, and people looking through it will probably have to wait for the image to come down from the hosting site, which will take longer obviously, than if it was hosted on ours.

screen shots are off by default for everyone warby, except for mods/admins, again if you need to post a screen shot, hosting is the only option on another site for it, the only reason the mods/admins have it on, is in case we need to grab a shot before its edited or removed for breaking the TOS of the forum.

Thanks

18. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

:suicide_fool-edit: :suicide_fool-edit: missed with both... lol

19. warby

warby Registered

Ok no problems, is the screenshot thingy a recent addition as I posted a screen shot not long ago in the thread hazey started about common terms used I spelt one wrong as noticed by someone else hazey edited it but missed part of I circled it and uploaded it to that thread.

Ill post the image size of a few of my phone pics shortly.....thanks for the help :)

20. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Screenshot should of always been disabled for members/guests, though with the bugs on the forum, it is possible that its been reverted, or allowed one or two to go in, but in general it shouldn`t work, this is because normally the size of a screenshot is huge... lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice