1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured New Electricity thread

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by screwloose, Aug 22, 2013.

1. screwloose

screwloose Registered

thought i would do a new one :)

i got a shock last night when Npower had decided to change my direct debit to £280 per month....what is wrong with these thieves

anyways i usually pay £210 dual fuel, they say i have slightly under paid since feb, when i looked at the bill apparently my 11p a unit rate ran out in Feb,,and they changed me to a std rate which is 15.9p a unit,,,arses not to notify me for a start

anyway that leaves me £225 in the red, so to stop the 280 a month i will have to pay the outstanding, but even then they are gonna want 240 a month,,,it really does make ya wanna close down, there is enough stress in life without this crap..

right who is best to change to,,any recommends ?

thinking of going back to scottish power as i believe they are the only people in the last 10 years not to have me off.

electric i use app 12-13k kwh a year,

:(

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

We found Atlantic to be good to deal with

3. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Last I heard a month back is Scottish Power are the best out of the big six companies

4. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

I was with npower and was paying £185 a month. I was £350 in CREDIT and they wanted to raise my bill to £245. I rang them and they said with winter coming up I need to makesure I stay in front. I explained I have a wood burner so my gas usage will only go up slightly at which point they just flat out refused to amend the payment. I cancelled and was eventually refunded my £350. I went with first utility. Fixed rate til 2014. I pay £185 per month and im 8 months in with a good £600+ in credit. Which ill be reclaiming come Christmas to pay for that.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. heller792

heller792 Registered

mine went up by a tenner a month last week. Thought I would be in credit by loads but only a couple of quid.

Dave

6. chris

chris Registered

I am with SSE and have been for about 10 years i pay DD of £50 a month for my leccy and £25 a month for my gas and i usually get a refund each year so i am happy with them. chris

7. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i bet you are :)

i just think what they did was wrong, hanging tariff without alerting me, i even do online readings monthly...and no alerts,,

up until last night it was showing just over 1k credit,,then suddenly debit 225..lol WTF

8. StarfishEnterprise

Because they update it after 6 or 12 months. I found this. Peed me right off. You see your payments going in and credit going up but they dont bill you for your usage until 6 months down the line and pow there you go all gone.

9. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

I'll be honest in that I am not now upgrading to the proposed 6x2x2 through wall which would have been planned and installed this year owing to rising costs. My cube may be small but it's affordable, at the moment, and allows me to enjoy this hobby.

If things go too pear shaped on the power front, sadly but inevitably, it will be the first thing to go :(

10. screwloose

screwloose Registered

thats exactly what they did,,,and now gonna lose a customer who pays on time etc...*****

11. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Having spoken to the Oracle, we moved to EDF for a better duel rate we pay £133 PCM by DD

you have been to our shack, so a little surprised at your Bill TBH

since the tank I have, is similar to yours, I would make sure the loft hasn't got lots of lights on next door :lol:

12. StarfishEnterprise

I was with npower for 4 years in this property and several years on various others. I always thought that the price wasnt too bad but since looking around we have found better.

Npowers main downfall is the treatment of customers. I think its discusting and after all the years id paid UPFRONT they just throw it in your face.

To add insult to injury when I closed the account I did not cancel my direct debit. Npower drew a DD payment which they had no right to and then two weeks later drew another DD payment. I would not have noticed had they not taken me into the red and I queried the account the same day. The bank returned the payment with 24hours but I had to wait to get my £300+ credit and the £235 DD they took. This was last Christmas. It left us without money over Christmas and me and the wife were furious.

What ever you do CANCEL THE DD WHETHER THEY TELL YOU TO OR NOT theiving *******s!

13. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Yeh I know I akways cancel then pay last by invoice, so no surprises.

i know Gary tried against daves in past too, I use approx 12k of units, our tumble dryer is always on etc.

luckily in some respects. I only owe 225 so could pay that off with cc if needed.
    i think they like to think you have no way out on contracts and get stuck.

14. screwloose

screwloose Registered

switching to Scottish power,

put in my usage and it comes up as £175 vs the £240 off npower...

15. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

That's a whopping pcm difference :w00t:

16. screwloose

screwloose Registered

good thing is that I entered my usage :)

forgot to mention they want to change it to £280 until the debit of £225 is gone,,and then £240 :shock:

17. Avalon

Avalon Registered

I think there are no genuine savings to be made whatever supplier you go with or swop to.They are all in it together.If there was one big money saver out there everyone would be their customers by now.

18. Marksfish

Marksfish Registered

You should have rung your bank and made a claim under the direct debit indemnity scheme. The bank must refund you on the day you raise the claim and then the bank has the hassle of re- claiming the money.

19. StarfishEnterprise

I did and the bank did..........The bank returned the payment with 24hours

20. Bob1888

Bob1888 Registered

Well I think we all agree Npower are crap was with them years ago and got messed about so much it was unbelievable still get them trying to get us to go back even though I told them that if they were the only electric company on the planet that I would rather survive on candles they still send us letters :lol:
    Bob

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice