1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured New Clown

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by richard, Jan 4, 2012.

1. richard

richard Registered

I added a Percula Clown to my new tank 5 days ago and it as stayed in the top left, back corner of the tank pretty much all the time.

Every so often it attempts to swim at the front of the tank, but looks like it is struggling to swim against the current, then it just gives in and goes back to the corner.

When I put food in it will only eat it when it goes into the top corner, it won't venture out to get it.

The tank is a river reef 48 and I am using the stock 550 ltr pump pointed upwards at the surface, along with a vortech MP10 that is on a really low setting.

I tried turning all the pumps off, and it did have a quick swims across the tank, but then just went straight back to the corner.

I have had clowns in the past that have loved strong flow, so can't see why this would be a problem.

Anyone got any thoughts and advice on this ?

2. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Clowns will normally find a corner of piece of rock to live around.
    If it is eating all ok, then I wouldn't worry,

3. richard

richard Registered

The problem is though its not eating allot because not allot of food is going into the top corner, when I try to feed directly to the top corner, the clown darts behind the rocks and misses most of the food.

Also he doesn't seem to be very active in the corner, and just sort of lays against the back wall.

Just seems strange, my last pair of clowns were always on the move.

I wanted to eventually add another small clown to hopefully pair up, would they be more adventuress as a pair, or is it more likely that they would just both stay together in the top corner ?

4. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

If you do not believe he is eating enough, then you need to look into this. What food are you feeding? Maybe you should try feeding what he was fed at the LFS or place you got it from. Mine took an age to go from New Era to another brand. But I stuck with it, and the hungrier they god, the more they ate.

Adding another clown in the hope of them becoming a pair is difficult. There are no guarantees sadly but the typical stance is that the same type of clown is a goo start.

5. richard

richard Registered

I am feeding my own seafood mix and it seems to like it, he eats any bits that flow into the top corner, it just seems too scared to go away from the corner to get more food that is in the open.

I've ordered some new era flake that should be coming tomorrow so I'll see if that makes it come out.

I believe that this is a female due to its size, so was planning to get a really small perc to attempt to pair, but I'll wait to see how this goes first.

Should the flow not be an issue then ?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. richard

richard Registered

7. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I wouldn't have though that flow would be an issue but why not try turning off the MP10 and see what happens?

8. Inklinkerman

Inklinkerman Registered

ive seen this happen a few times. I would lower flow, just in case, but it always seems settle on its own.

9. richard

richard Registered

Okay I'll give it some time and see how it goes.

10. Inklinkerman

Inklinkerman Registered

ive sometimes thought it was a problem with aclimatisation/swim bladder etc, but my brother in law took his clown back to the lfs because of the same issue, and within hours it was back to normal, his was a new tank and id suspect his levels were off, so id check your params again just to be sure, but he could just be sick/sulking.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  11. FmJames

FmJames Fish Health Advisor

This is fairly normal and happened to me with two pairs of clown both finding top corner and never moving. Unfortunately, I had to target feed them as it would not venture more than 3 inches from its corner to eat. He/she would venture out sometimes when I am not around to the other end of the tank but them back to the corner..just luck of the draw, I suppose.

12. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Mine clowns lived up near my overflow for the first week then "moved in" to the tank. They've been fine since Big Thumbs Up

"Dexter" on here has two clowns in a 5ft tank that refuse to move from the back corner of his tank. They simply swim up and down the silicone edge only coming into the tank for feeding.

Odd little fish sometimes :biggrin:

13. fish4life

fish4life Registered

I got a single clown and it did the same thing so I bought another 3 days later and they
    Both started swimming around together ,it may be like mine and just lonely

14. percula24

percula24 Registered

i have a pair of clowns and the male does this but my female will happily swim around the tank then goes back for the male but 2 minutes later the male is back at the watwer level against the glass behind my water return pipe but i dont think its anything to with flow it just must be quiet up there for him to feel safe

15. richard

richard Registered

Thanks for all the comments, sounds like its normal behavior then, I hope it comes out eventually as I was only planning on having a pair of clowns in this tank, fingers crossed.

Would it cause stress to the fish If I was to block off the corner, suppose it would just go to the other corner though.

16. HullTiger86

HullTiger86 Registered

Is very normal mate, might find a coral it likes or just spend most of its time there.

But i would just leave it a week or so.

Ive just added 2 picasso's 2 my tank and they are doing the same, but r swimming around more and more each day :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice