1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Need Help With Orp

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ben57, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ben57

ben57 Registered

Hello guys, I'm a fish farmer and grow salmon in closed containment systems. They are freshwater but I need help from you clever marine guys. I've been adding ozone to the water through my oxygen diffusers and it works well. The problem I have is basically finding and using a good ORP meter. I got reasonable one from ebay but I couldn't get it to give meaningful results. I understand the chemistry involved but need some practical advice, cheers, Ben

2. Neil

Neil Registered

What meter did you get ?

Most use a controller rather then just checking

Also ozone should not be added directly to the tank I see you are adding it via a oxygen diffusers can you post a picture

3. ben57

ben57 Registered

Hello Neil, thanks for your reply. The meter I got was an HM Digital ORP-200 meter, I couldn't get it to give meaningful readouts, I read they were a bit of a strange tool. I'll have a look at the controllers but I like to keep an eye on things and not trust machines too much and they will go wrong at some point. Yes, I know that you can damage the fish with ozone quite easily but my situation is a bit different in that I'm not looking for a sterilisation but just a very low dose mainly to get rid of the earthy taste to the salmon. My set up is 100,000 galls of water with a high organic content, 5 tonnes of salmon and 35kg of food a day, so even with my 7 gram units I don't make much of a difference to the ORP level in a hurry and I can see it starting to 'polish' the water when it works. I did damage a few fish last year so I know when the water is getting toxic by it's appearance, like the Caribbean! Below is a photo of a diffuser and generator. It may be that I never added enough ozone to make a difference to the ORP. What I need to know is how I can tell if I'm making a difference and how much by. It might just be that you can recommend a decent meter? Cheers Ben

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice