1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Nearly Gave Up But Glad I Didn’t

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by trumpet30, Feb 15, 2018.

1. trumpet30

trumpet30 Registered

Glad I found this forum for some help. Back end of last year I found wet carpet around my tank and couldn’t locate the leak. Decided to drain the tank and put all my rock and fish in a large children’s play bucket whilst I pulled out the tank and hunted the issue. Tested my sump and that was dry, nothing leaking from the tank then spotted a salt trace from the overflow box. Put everything back together in 24 hours so the fish could settle back and put the skimmer and heaters in the tank with a wave maker to turn the water over whilst I sourced a replacement overflow box. Decided to go for a different one that was thicker acrylic and had a durso system. Fitted that and then this is where I nearly gave up. The thing gurgled all the time. I tried various web searches about placing airline down it, valves to control flow but the thing either gurgled like hell or nearly flood the house. This went on for weeks hence me nearly giving up.

Then I wrote on here asking for some help. Got a good lead on converting it to a herbie design. Did that and bingo all in quiet in my house.

I have now restocked my fish and it’s now the best thing again.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

glad its all worked out

but now as usual

we love pictures

3. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

That’s good to hear :)

4. trumpet30

trumpet30 Registered

Picture of the tank[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Tank looks great, :)

6. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Lovely pics.........we love pics :aaaaa: and mostly give good advice (when we have some to offer that is :D).

Had marines for four years now and still learning every day (and still making mistakes too :rolleyes:).

7. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Most recent mistake was found today....had neglected to fill my ATU reservoir for a while :eek::confused::( But thankfully I believe I just managed to avert disaster by topping it up - the water level was literally at the height of just above the pump inlet (any less and it would have been sucking air/running hot and boom....the pump is gone :oops:).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice