1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured near death experience

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by screwloose, Jun 11, 2010.

1. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

That's still a stunning tank tho!, ok ignore the contrast with what it was like, some people would love to have a tank look that good as you have it now, not as bad as I thought tbh,

soon be better tho [thumbup1.gif]

2. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

Glad to hear you have come up with an answer at last mate I'm sure in time it will be back to it's former glory if not better [thumbup.gif]

3. volitans68

volitans68 Registered

Try fitting a 30 mA rcd in your consumer unit ,this should detect any earth leakage current,therefore you will not get a serious electric shock if any equipment does go faulty,or failing that have one plugged into the socket that supplies your aquarium.

4. Tim44

Tim44 Registered

Just reading this and pondering how a lot of aquarium kit isn't even earthed so an RCD will not operate.

5. volitans68

volitans68 Registered

That is quite correct,a residual current device only monitors an inbalance of neutral- earth,a way round that is to install a piece of stainless tube on one of the return or flow pipes with an earth clamp attachedthen connected in to the earth terminal on a socket outlet

6. Tim44

Tim44 Registered

Top tip! thank you sir :)

7. screwloose

screwloose Registered

well the rcd does work once you become the earth...i can assure you i would possibly be deeead if it hadn't ;)

8. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i also decided against having a continuous earth also after reading a lot of conflicting information

9. volitans68

volitans68 Registered

Without going into tchnical details ,how fast the rcd trips depends on how good the earth is!Your body doesn`t conduct electricity better than lets say copper or silver and so on.A 30mA rcd needs to trip in less than 40 milli seconds(measured) to ensure that no more than 30 mA can pass through a person in 40 or less milli seconds and this tripping speed is solely dependant on how good the earth path is!

10. Bizzle Wizzle

Bizzle Wizzle Registered

Talk about near death experiences......

I started reading this thread.... I nearly died when I thought Nevs tank was dying off again!!!

Didnt realise it had been bumped!

:crazy:

11. volitans68

volitans68 Registered

I will add the only problem with these devices is,they do their job so well.that if you have a piece of equipment that has earth leakage current > 30mA and a fault occurs when you arenot there to rectify the problem,well then you`ve got trouble.But as for the safety aspect side of this,you wouldn`t die if you had 1 of these fitted,without an rcd depending how much current flowed through your body would depend on the severity of the electic shock,and or death!

12. screwloose

screwloose Registered

if you have rcd's there is no need to strap your tank....you cant earth water anyhow

13. Whitey_AFC

Whitey_AFC Registered

Strange you mention this .... I swear a womens tank I work with has the same problem , she suddenly loses new fish / corals etc she buys. I was looking after her tank for a few days when she went on holiday and I kept getting a strange electrical current when I put my hand in the water to feed the fish , thank god she's back now and I don't have do it :D lol

Glad your ok though mate !!

14. beech1999

beech1999 Registered

well i just done a stupid thing.i cleaned my powerheads yesterday & just got home to find my small resun2000 which i use for flow behind the rock vibrating away,so what do i do?take the magnet off and pull it up near the surface by the cable with my left hand,and then put my right hand in to grab the powerhead and of course i left it switched on,hence to say i got a bit of a shock (240vlts)because the cable broke,won't be doing that again in a hurry lol
    IMG_0687.jpg p,s my hands is still tingeling:whistling:,,daft jay

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice