1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured near death experience

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by screwloose, Jun 11, 2010.

1. screwloose

screwloose Registered

well,,

as most of you know i have been having problems with stock dying away for no apparent reason over the last 3 months.

all parameters always ok, bulbs good, good skim,,etc etc etc

today i think i found out why.....................................

put my hand in tank, and then my elbow caught my lumenarc reflector,,,,sending 240volts through me, and tripping the whole house.... :suicide:

basically then set about stripping every bit of electrical equipment out of my tank, and slowly going through the plug back in, whilst my son ( sparky) had electrical test equipment in the water.

finally after plugging heaters back in, 240volts started to yet again pass through my water
    i knew i hadn't imagined that ring main buzz, you never forget what a ringmain shock feels like ;)

pulled the heaters, 1 was half full of water and corroded inside, the other had condensation inside...needless to say they are in the bin.

i hadn't picked up on this earlier, mainly due to my heaters usually kick in at night if temp falls below 24.5 mainly through the day ambient temp keeps tank above that, but because i have been playing with my lights tonight,,noy so much heat off lights etc...

pretty sure now that either the fact that the water has been carrying 240v,,or whatever has been corroding has been slowly killing my coral sock.

hopefully now it will start to pick up,,and i can start to restock. :dance:

main reason for telling my story is to get you to check your heaters guys on a regular basis,,,luckily my house is RCD capital of the north, saving me more than likely from a hospital visit.

The moral of my story is,,,,when you think you can't find the problem with your tank, and start thinking its an act of god,,,,,,stop looking
    but don't use yourself as an earth probe [wink.gif]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. Realist

Realist Registered

Glad you found it at last matey and glad your still here to tell the story, sounds nasty!

3. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Yep, I have had a ring main buzz myself (don't start either) [005.gif]

One I will never ever forget, my friend said she had turned it off, yeah reet.

Good to see you finally found the problem, wonder if whatever what was corroding reacted with the iodine, and thats what kicked things off??

Look forward to seeing the new Nev Tank [thumbup.gif]

4. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

I've been getting a shock the same way recently. Gonna have to get the multimeter found
    hurts like a bitch :(

5. Realist

Realist Registered

Ooooo Tinas ring buzzing. Any pics pmsl!!

6. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers guys,,,i think it was a close call...

trust you T,thats not what its for [011.gif] ,,, :eek:00

not sure what the inside of a heater contains,,,apart from a saltwater shock that burned my elbow [scared.gif]
    would be nice to know though,,,,,PETE !,,,do you know

7. screwloose

screwloose Registered

tingle is ok,,,can be residual up to 48v dc,,from magnetic motors etc

8. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

No pics :eek:00 :eek:00

9. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

Was numb for a day and tender feeling for 2 days not good prob the worst shock I've had. And I used to get them a lot in a previous job.

10. Realist

Realist Registered

How is the tank looking now Nev?

11. screwloose

screwloose Registered

pants....to be honest,,,,

lots of corals in the bin,,,lots looking unhappy,,,and lots brown

12. Realist

Realist Registered

Sure it will get there again mate. Rob is shutting down and has some nice sps, mainly from your tank. Just a thought.

13. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

hi Nev
    been round at Friend's all night just got in bud.i think you are bang on the money with your heaters being the problem ,you see apart from the circuit board ,the the connector from the screw is in most cases copper ,and even the heating elements can be copper with a nickel coating ,and if water is getting in ,you can be sure its leching out,hence all your problems,i know poly filters take copper and heavy metals out ,but the pura pads that midland reef sell are supposably even more effective, if you dont get fixed up i have one here [in case of emergency's] lol, pete

and just a note Nev ,dont go blowing yourself up or electrocuting yourself [035.gif] we will soon get your tank back to its former glory [thumbup1.gif]

14. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Nev was it Potassium Iodide you added??

Have a look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(I)_iodide

My chem is a bit rusty (no pun intended) but it seems that when copper and potassium iodide react, they form Iodine and copper Iodide.

Copper iodide is then dissolved into solution in salt water, but not water [cursing.gif]

Whilst you probably had a problem there anyway, if it was potassium iodide you added, you would get a big release of iodine, more than the amount you actually added, which if I remember was less than it said on the bottle.

Therefore you would have the effects of overdosing with iodine, as you suspected originally.

I only link the iodine, because the problem got so much worse on addition.

You then still had copper and copper iodide in the system.

15. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i knew you would know buddy....unfortunately i dont think i hqave time to pop anywhere right now...unless pah have the pura pads... [crying.gif]
    may have to order.

cheers T
    yer..i remember it kicking in after adding potassium iodide
    started low...and went southwards real fast [ohmy.gif]

cheers guys...

ps...if anyone else got a pura pad..or is passing petes [thumbup.gif]

right...gotta go build a porch in blackburn....wish it was glossop now..lol

16. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

glad you've found the problem mate. Hopefully things will be on the up from now

17. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Great news Nev at least you know what the problem is

I broke one of my heaters, so I have the unbreakable ones now, not that more expensive either

big question is will huge water changes be enough to get rid of the copper, or will the
    whole system be contaminated, sorry to put a damper on it [blushing.gif]

18. reefergeek

reefergeek Registered

the stock will be ok until you have an earth in the tank then that will complete the circuit, glad your rcds working

19. marinemad73

marinemad73 Registered

Glad you finally found out the reason, thanks for the advice now gonna check our heaters to make ours are okay [wink.gif]

20. screwloose

screwloose Registered

cheers chaps,,

not sure regarding copper levels etc,,but you have to bear in mind it is not like treating your tanks, so different kettle of fish,
    more likely to be a myriad of metals not wanting to be in there.
    so hopefully any microscopic amounts can be taken out via skimmer, polyfilter,,pura pads etc,,just probably more the fact its been a slow continuous leech,,so water changes i have done will be quickly contaminated again

currently getting a price off Toby ( littleocean) for some plastic heaters [thumbup1.gif]

just want to add at this moment in time, little ocean has been the best suppplier i have dealt with in a long time,
    speedy service, good customer support etc,,,top man [thumbup.gif]

cheers
    Nev

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice