1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Tank Progress With Bio Pearls

Discussion in 'ULNS Systems' started by Ged, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

OK, are you expecting to get better?....ie, is that something the pearls will help with by reducing the phosphates?

2. Ged

Ged Registered

ummm

I was positive I replied to this last night, but the reply ain't here.

tbh Roger I don't know what to expect.

As for the Phosphates, for the first time ever they are well under control. 0.00 against 0.45 a week ago.

I would hope that the Nitrates go down to 0 as well. Although Nev's Nitrate meter is playing up at the moment so I cannot properly test. My test kit, tells me they are zero, but they did before last week when Nev measured them at 13

3. karnivor

karnivor Registered

I clean my glass every 3 days. You will notice that the film is more dusty and easier to clean off.
    I rarely have to scrape my glass these days as I dont seem to get the hard green algae forming, apart from the places I cant get to.

It wont be something you will see straight away. It takes a little time for the pearls to clean the tank up fully. Once your nitrates have dropped to a low level, they will hang there for a while, because the tank detritus will still be breaking down. Once that has happened, you will drop further and you will notice that your gravel and rocks will have much less detritus on/in them.

TBH, you are likely to see steady improvements over months as the tank slowly gets cleaner.

I can only forecast this, but IMO, you are much less likely to suffer from "old tank syndrome" by continually utilising Bio Pearls, however it may be 2-3 years before any real evidence for this becomes apparent.

Tony.

4. davyr

davyr Registered

Hi guys,
    Just thought i would document my progress with the new pearls that Tony (karnivor)kindly sent me. I started running SWC (NP bio-pellets) on the 23/7/10 and my NO3 was at 0ppm and my PO4 was at 25ppm and within a matter of 6 days and my NO3 was down to 10ppm and it was and always was this level when using the pellets. So i thought these pellets are the mutts. Then i heard a rumour that there was going to be some new pearls on the market so i managed to obtain a sample from Tony and my new quest began. Tony kindly sent me some pearls and on the 9/9/10 i emptied the reactor of the pellets (kindly made by chippypah and i must say cracking piece of kit Pete) and put 750ml of the pearls in the reactor to do their thing. Well the NO3 hovered at 10ppm and would not come down and my PO4 went upto 0.06 (hannah phos meter). To cut along story short i checked my PO4 today and it was at 0ppm and my NO3 is at 25ppm. I am not running rowaphos as i was advised not to do so but i cannot understand why the nitrates have gone the opposite way. My skimmer is doing some great foaming but i cannot say that it is like mud in the neck. I have tried wet skimming and dry skimming to no avail,maybe i just need to give these pearls time to do their thing.

Any suggestions guys?

5. Ged

Ged Registered

Probably best waiting for Tony to answer that, we are in unchartered territory on here at the moment.

6. karnivor

karnivor Registered

Well Ged, I only wish I could.
    Ive already been communicating with him on other forums and via the phone, but it remains a mystery.
    The strange part being that the Pearls are not producing the usual mass of skimmate, or if they are, they are not being skimmed.
    I can honestly say I have no previous experience of Nitrates rising or no skimmate being produced, so it seems that it is something very peculiar to this particular setup.

Davyr...Take a look at the skimmate being produced by Ged's tank. Yours should be the same, they are the same Pearls, taken from the same batch.

Tony.

7. Ged

Ged Registered

I did my weekly 40ltr water change today, not bothered wth any tests really apart from the basics, as these are monitored electronically anyway.

pH - 8.07
    Salinity - 35 / 1.026

Turbinaria (or however it is spelt still seems off, in fact I would say worse than the other day) I have tried moving it into more flow and a brighter part of the light, as the lower end of the tank didn't seem to solve it.

Also the skimmer has dropped off a little, I cleaned it the other day, and it has not filled up as much although what is being skimmed is dark and smelly.

8. davyr

davyr Registered

Here are some images of my skimmate guys,i am wet skimming with the air fully open on the skimmer. I have the bubbles rising to the base of the cup and the rest is pushed up by the existing nog. I feed new era marine flake and mysis daily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Ged

Ged Registered

It doesn't look very dark to me.

How have you got the output from the reactor?

Is it anywhere near the skimmer?

My output is plumbed straight from the reactor into the feed of the skimmer, which saves me using another pump. Not sure if I should have done this or not, but all the instructions tend to indicate that it should be fine.

How big is your tank?

I feed New Era Flakes about 3 times a day. A couple of New Era Marine pellets every few days or so. I also add a cube of rotifers and a cube of mysis (at the same time) every couple of days.

I have a yellow tang, a flame angel, a Cheryl tang, 2 tomatos, 2 scooter blennies, a randall's goby, clown goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, a pistol shrimp, and plenty of CUC so I don't know if that has any bearing as to being higher or not stocked than you.

10. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

What's the KH?

11. davyr

davyr Registered

Right infront mate,made it myself and have been doing this since running both pearl and pellet versions.

[​IMG]

12. screwloose

screwloose Registered

now that looks like the early stages using pellets, before they have started to work,

my early skim muck was similar for a few days,

13. Ged

Ged Registered

Nev is using the Pellets Davy, his thread is here for your reference.

http://www.thesaltybox.com/viewtopic.php?f=268&t=15137

Nev has described what he has had with the skim mate etc using them as to what I have just started to go through. Perhaps your pearls just need to kick in properly, after using the pellets? As if to counteract what the pellets have done?

tbh I am guessing as like I say there is only 2 people on here apart from Tony, who are actually using the pearls. Unless people haven't documented it of course.

14. davyr

davyr Registered

Thanks Ged,i think i am to impatient.LOL

15. Ged

Ged Registered

How big is your tank?

Mine is 3x2x2 and I have only been using the pearls since 23rd September. I was expecting it to take longer, as the instructions say 2 to 6 weeks iirc

I would start a thread on here if you haven't already done so, as to help others etc with your own experiences and for your own reference etc

There is definitely a lot of interest in pellets and pearls, and so the more references and experiences the better.

I hope you get sorted out anyway, and like you say, it's probably just a matter of time.

16. davyr

davyr Registered

My tank is a 50 gall with a 23 gall sump and my stock is,
    Inhabitants: 1 x Yellow Tang
    1 x Coral Beauty
    1 x Pink Spotted Goby
    1 x Canary Wrasse
    1 x Blue Damsel
    2 x Percula Clowns
    1 x False Gramma
    1 x Mandarin
    2 x Anthias

17. davyr

davyr Registered

Hi Ged,
    Have you got an air tap on your deltec or have you removed it? If you do have a tap do you throttle it back or give it full flow?

18. Ged

Ged Registered

Nice stock list. Did you say you have added 750ml of pearls?

If I have done my sums properly, I added 350g for my tank, which is 75g approx and I never included the sump, as I figured the amount of LR I have would counteract that through displacement. A litre of pearls is about 814g without the tub iirc

Are you using UV or Ozone?

I unplumbed mine when I added the pearls.

19. Ged

Ged Registered

I have the original deltec tap on it (well a replacement one as the skimmer never came with it)

Initially it was open fully, and when it kicked in the other day, I turned it to about qtr past. I have since put it back to fully open. The piccie I posted earlier on was with the tap fully open.

20. davyr

davyr Registered

No ozone or UV,here is a night image and a sump piccy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The phosphate remover reactor is present but is not running.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice