1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Tank Progress With Bio Pearls

Discussion in 'ULNS Systems' started by Ged, Sep 22, 2010.

1. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i agree totally,

i remember reading somewhere that you said 1l was going to be 59.99, probably on another forum where you are also a member, and that D_D where going to be the distributor. then suddenly its TMC and they are much dearer.
    surely its going to be much better for you to sell lots at a less elevated price, i presume your markup will be the same whatever TMC decide to retail them at.

sounds good Ged, sounds like they are getting to work [thumbup1.gif]

2. karnivor

karnivor Registered

All that skimmate but no Bloom....now theres a thing.

Have a good feel of the skimmate which should feel muddy, then compare it to NP pellet skimmate, which will feel greasy.
    There will be no holding the skimmer back now.

3. Ged

Ged Registered

Nope. Gutted I missed out on not being able to see my tank for a day or so. [005.gif]

Now you mention it, the skim on the neck of the cup did look like a mudpack type colour feel etc

Here's the skimmer nearly 4 hours after cleaning it out from earlier piccie. And a FTS.

4. karnivor

karnivor Registered

Not Quite right, but I know where you are coming from.
    The price was going to be AT LEAST £69.99 with D-D and probably more. The £59.99 was going to be an introductory offer through our website to launch it. This was before we had a distributor.

Also, remember, £74.99 is the RRP, and many shops are already discounting this price.
    I may have said before, we are not in a price war, we are in a quality war, and we win hands down.
    Having said that, if we sold by weight and not volume, we would almost certainly be cheaper.
    If anyone has has a litre of Biopearls, perhaps they would like to post the weight up, I will happily do the same.

Tony.

5. Ged

Ged Registered

If anyone is interested a litre of the Pearls weighs 868g in the plastic tub that they some in.

iirc without the tub it was something like 808g ish.

From the day I got them Tony.

6. screwloose

screwloose Registered

no probs,,

you may not remember posting this then on IR

in fact i won't post it as it appears that i am being picky towards you which i am not, you are only saying i am wrong, when i know what i read, which may actually be worse.

i can understand though that you may be getting much more relatively by weight.

As regards skimmer Ged, mine has also been a muddy consistency from the start, took around 24-48 hours to start properly. and i have had no greasiness, however when i go back to Ged's i can compare texture

7. Ged

Ged Registered

ooh! Skim mate feeling party.

I ordered one of those Phosphate testers from TankTests to give me a more accurate reading in the future. So I will post the results once it actually arrives, for some reason it says allow upto 7 days for delivery.

8. screwloose

screwloose Registered

excellent...free phos test for me [yahoo.gif]

9. Ged

Ged Registered

I take back everything I said about the Pearls being low maintenance. [005.gif]

I have had to empty the skimmer again, 2nd time today, as chances are it will overflow over night. I normally do it once per week, and I am lucky if the skim mate actually reaches the top of the deltec skimmer label by the time that I clean it out.

10. RedDiver

RedDiver Registered

Just read this thread from start to finish. Great read guys. I will be keeping tabs on the developments. For info, I have been running NP Biopellets for five or six weeks now which is if I'm not mistaken just before the Pearls came along. To be honest, I was gutted as from what I read about them I would probably have preferred to use them. What I will say though is that my nitrates have reduced from 25 to 5 over the period I have been using them so something is working.

11. Ged

Ged Registered

Hi

Thanks for the compliments on the thread.

How have you found the pellets?

Nev (screwloose) has had great success with these so far, and he was the one who made my mind up to try this approach. I only chose the pearls as they had a better write up so to speak, and normally a better write up means a better product. However, I have no real idea of what to really expect. I suppose I am looking for an answer to high Nitrates and Phosphates and I believe that the Pearls will achieve this.

I know there is a huge whoo hah on the price difference, but not in a horrible way, more of a questioning type way, as to why, and the general feeling I get is that they are genuinely a better product. The snag is I am comparing my experience to a guy (Nev) who has a twice the size tank as myself, thousands of SPS unlike me, and about 18 years more experience in Marines than I. So this is a learning curve in every respect. I really want to concentrate on SPS but have struggled so much keeping the tank levels in check. Hopefully, with the Pearls I have now combatted the Phosphates and the Nitrates.

At least you have also solved the age old problem of lowering your Nitrates, and hopefully, your tank will continue to thrive. Keep us informed.

12. RedDiver

RedDiver Registered

Hi Ged. My tank is also on the small (tiny) side when compared to Nevs so we're in a similar position there. I have only been keeping marines for just over a year so not too experienced.
    So far the pellets have been working for me. I am only running 250mls+ in a modded Phosban 150 with a MJ1200. I was told that this would not work but after a couple of mods, the pellets are tumbling quite nicely in my opinion. My PO4 has also come down from 0.25ppm to 0.11ppm at the moment but still a fair way to go.
    As for the price. I bought my initial 250mls for £18 plus £2 postage and I see a sponsor on here is doing 500mls of pearls at £39.99 so not a great deal of difference if you are only using a small amount like me. If they start selling the pearls in 250ml batches I might be tempted to buy some and run them alongside the pellets in another Phosban 150 to see if I can get them to fluidise properly and also to make a direct comparison to the pellets. That's for the future though.

13. Ged

Ged Registered

I started in May 2009 so I am only a few months more experienced then in that case, we are both Marine n00bs in reality. [005.gif]

350g (not sure what that is in mls as that was too complicated to measure) of the Pearls defo do not fluidise using a MaxiJet 1200, and I couldn't really use a wider bore tube as the output on the pump was a snug fit with the tubing I was using. How have you modded it, added wider bore inlets / outlets?

So the pellets do work for both Nitrates and Phosphates, which is what Nev has proven also.

It's how much you value £40 though ain't it. I was spending a shed load on Rowaphos, so over a year, I am actually better off trying the Pearls, providing of course they work, and every single bit of info I have read, they do. Maybe buy the 500ml in a few months once you have depleted the pellets an try for twice the time?

Have you got a thread on here?

If not why not? :-:eek:

14. RedDiver

RedDiver Registered

[/quote:1lkj8nsb]No mate. I haven't had the time I'm afraid.

15. RedDiver

RedDiver Registered

Oops sorry for the previous post. Just realised that I rambled on a bit too much and deviated from the original thread.

16. Hazey

Hazey Registered

How have you modded your phosban?
    I have one of those phosbans so would be interested to know what you have done to get the pellets to tumble. I also already run it with a 1200 Maxijet with Rowasphos.

Ta, Dave

17. RedDiver

RedDiver Registered

Hi Dave, I'd better not tie the thread up any more with details but I have another 150 that I can mod so I will do it ASAP and post in the relevant section [001_smile.gif].

18. Ged

Ged Registered

No worries from me about it, as Tesco would say, Every little helps.

19. RedDiver

RedDiver Registered

Thanks Ged [001_smile.gif]

20. Paul K

Paul K Registered

Will be keeping an eye out for this, I have has similar thoughts for my 150.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice