1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Tank Progress With Bio Pearls

Discussion in 'ULNS Systems' started by Ged, Sep 22, 2010.

1. screwloose

screwloose Registered

yes Roger,,,,but i had mentioned this in other threads previously,,,so it was already seeded there, rather than you thinking it [011.gif]

2. jonesy

jonesy Registered

i only need 300ml as the tanks 280 ltrs, whats the maximum flow rate for the phosban

3. Ged

Ged Registered

Capacity Use with up to a maximum of 200 grams (385 ml) of PhosBan, or a media height of 5 inches (13 cm).
    Aquarium size One reactor for up to 150 gallons (568 Liters). Multiple reactors may be used for larger aquariums.
    Recommended flow rate ca. 20 - 30 gal/hr (75 - 115 l/hr). Too much flow can grind PhosBan.
    Connection for hoses 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) i.d. The inlet and outlet flexible 90° fittings rotate to suit your installation.

http://www.twolittlefishies.com/documents/1202405781.pdf

4. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

So for my tank (130 ltrs) I would only need 150ml, so would a Phosban reactor work?

5. Ged

Ged Registered

I wouldn't like to say Roger. It's more than half of what I put in so there is a good chance of doing it.

Maybe jonesy could try for you?

6. karnivor

karnivor Registered

OK Guys, let me see if I can help out here.

firstly, notice in the picture of the two types of pellets, that you get less per gram, of Bio Pearls. As you are buying by volume,it means you are actually getting quite a bit more by weight. Now, given that the vast majority of our pearls is made up of the prime ingredient (which is heavier than water), you must be getting more of what matters. So, maybe we aint so dear after all. see where i'm coming from?

To make the weight of the product lighter, you need to add something that is lighter than water, to lower its SG in water. I know what that something is, but I will leave you guessing at what floats on water. [005.gif]

now then, reactors.
    this is a little more complicated than it first seems. The flow required to fluidise anything in a reactor is a function of two things. The amount of water flowing into the reactor, and the bore of the reactor. If you have a wide reactor, the flow will be spread out and you will find fluidisation much harder. this is fine for things like rowaphos, where its SG is close to that of the salt water, as you dont want to fluidise it much because it will all go to the top.

in the case of pearls, it is better to use a smaller bore and a taller reactor, this will accelerate the flow through it and they will fluidise. of course, all of this is academic if you already have a reactor, in which case you will need to match a pump to it.

I'm happily fluidising 1ltr of Pearls with a 1500Ltr pump, on a design i'm testing.

Also, bear in mind that pearls wont clump anywhere nearly as easy as the competition's offering because they are so pure and work like they are supposed to. this means that you can get away with them very lightly simmering, without them turning into a solid lump of gunk.

I'm sorry if i appear to be spoon feeding little bits of info, but I really want you to make your own mind up about our product and I will only jump in when you need a little help understanding things.

Anyway, its much more fun for you this way.

Tony.

7. Ged

Ged Registered

Hi Tony

Mine are simmering nicely, as in they are moving from bottom to top, and no dead spots within the level of pearls, so what you are saying, if I have understood this correctly, that that is absolutely fine?

8. jonesy

jonesy Registered

i have afew different pumps so i will try afew of them later and let you no

9. karnivor

karnivor Registered

Thats perfect.

10. screwloose

screwloose Registered

day 1 in the bio pearl house. 10.56 am

Ged is currently sleeping off a wine induced coma, after speaking to Nev via pm until 2.15 am

his fish are wondering where is the food,,,

his tank could already have something new to show him, but he will not know this as he is probably still in bed

[011.gif]

11. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

_))) _))) _)))

12. Ged

Ged Registered

:-:eek: at Nev.

The only thing to report is that I had a huge leak. The pipe off the top of the reactor decided to leak and there is water all over the bottom of my cabinet. :(

13. screwloose

screwloose Registered

back pressure maybe ?

i defo shown no signs of leaking last night..

it wasn't me moving that clip was it [001_rolleyes.gif] [005.gif]

14. Ged

Ged Registered

It's the hose I was using and the angle it was bent at I think Nev.

I managed to get some 15mm hose off a neighbour who does lines for pubs etc, so have put that on the return to the sump now, and that is a definitely tighter fit.

Not a lot else to report, my turbenaria is still a bit off, so I have moved that down to the sand incase it was a flow problem. The skimmer is skimming away nicely, but not really dark or smelly yet. I will soon see once the foam hits the top and spills over I guess.

All the junk has gone off the top of the water as well now. [thumbup.gif]

15. screwloose

screwloose Registered

yer could have potentially been dust off the pellets

or even out of the new tubing

16. Ged

Ged Registered

Couple of piccies from this evening, not done any tests as it is too dark.

Possibly, definitely gone now anyway so happy days. [thumbup1.gif]

Spot the wet base of the cabinet.

17. screwloose

screwloose Registered

skimmer looks like its settling in now too [001_smile.gif]

18. Ged

Ged Registered

Can you spot the fish in the sump?

What a journey he must have had.

(bottom right hand corner on the base of the skimmer)

I only just spotted him.

19. screwloose

screwloose Registered

yer i seen the little blenny straight away ................not [001_rolleyes.gif]

little pipe surfer dude

20. screwloose

screwloose Registered

would have also asked how tank is,,,

but, no doubt wine coma hasn't let you out of bed yet ,,its is only 10.51 am after all [wink.gif]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice