1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Tank Progress With Bio Pearls

Discussion in 'ULNS Systems' started by Ged, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Ged

Ged Registered

Yeh, that's sort of what I was thinking re the Phosban reactor. I do have another one, which I have never used as a fall back though. Time will tell.

2. Burscough Aq

Burscough Aq <span style="color:#D4AF37; font-weight: bold;">Ad

1000ml £74.99

500ml £39.99

While stocks last we have a number of TMC fluidised sandbed filters which they are promoting as the reactor to use with the pearls and if you get one of these we will throw in 500ml of pearls at half price

[001_smile.gif]

3. Ged

Ged Registered

@Burscough Aq

That's a pretty good offer.

Well, my Bio Pearls have arrived. Time to call Nev I guess. :-:eek:

If anyone is interested a litre of the Pearls weighs 868g in the plastic tub that they some in.

Without the tub they weigh 814g

The recommended amount to add to your reactor is 100ml / 150ml per 100 litres of your tank.

My tank is 340 litres ish and so a rough calculation, @ 81.4g per 100ml (3 x 81.4g [300 litres] plus 1 x 40.7g [50 litres] = 284.9g [at 100ml per 100 litres] for 340 litres) So to raise it slightly I have actually put in the reactor 350g of Bio Pearls.

4. Ged

Ged Registered

First issue, having taken out my UV unit, my Nitrate reactor and shed loads of plumbing and wiring, then calculating approx 350g of Pearls to do the job, putting it in the Phosban Reactor, and then connecting a Maxjet 1200 pump, there's not enough flow. Doh!

5. Ged

Ged Registered

I have now gotten rid of the Phosban 150 and am using the spare reactor that I got from DreamReef a few months ago. I have had to remove the maxjet 1200 as well, as that is just not up to the job.

I use a Newjet 1700 pump on my skimmer, so for now, I have plumbed from the pump to the reactor back into the skimmer, which according to the instructions for the Bio Pearls should be a good call.

I still need to get some more 'right sized' piping but in a longer length to return back to the skimmer, and hopefully Nev will bring me some when he gets here in a bit. I think they need just that little bit more flow, although they are not clumping together, and are moving.

Nev should be here about 8ish so we will do a full set of tests and then record them on here for reference.

6. screwloose

screwloose Registered

mi subway will be here inamo,,then i will be down [thumbup1.gif]

7. Ged

Ged Registered

The starting results are in:

Salinity - 1.026 (Pinpoint tester)
    Calcium - 410 - Buffered 10g to take back to 420
    Temp - 27.2
    KH - 8.6
    pH - 8.04
    Nitrates - 13 (Pinpoint tester)
    Phosphates - 0.045 (So risen since using Rowaphos, work that one out)

For anyone interested, this is a piccie of 1g of Bio Pellets and 1g of Bio Pearls. (Yes me and Nev really are that sad).

8. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i believe there was a meeting of 2 great minds somewhere in st.helens tonight

and me and Ged got together too [laugh.gif]

9. jonesy

jonesy Registered

what reactor is that as i have a phosban 150 and i cant get my bio pearls moving so was going to get a bigger pump but if you think its pointless what does everyone suggest.

10. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

_))) _))) _))) _)))

11. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

I suspect a bigger pump wont work due to the size of the pipework...........I could be wrong though.

12. Ged

Ged Registered

When I put the pearls in, the level of them for my tank was just about halfway between the Phos and the Ban on the label as a rough guide. With a Maxjext 1200 it wouldn't fluidise. The reactor I got was from DreamReef, ages ago. However, I have no idea which model, it could be worth pming them or leaving a message in their section, asking which one I got?

If you try a bigger pump, then it may or not work, although according to phosban instructions, the most you should use is 200g or 385ml (iirc) and so really it is not good enough anyway. I had added 350g of pearls.

There is a guy on here called chippypah who is making custom ones, especially for the pellets / pearls, however, on my custom one, even with the NewJet 1700 I don't think there is enough flow, although they are now fluidising.

Here's his thread.

http://www.thesaltybox.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15928

13. Ged

Ged Registered

:-:eek:

I cleaned my Vortech out btw, so hopefully the flow will be better now as well.

14. screwloose

screwloose Registered

the limiting factor on the phosban will be the inlet/outlet pipe sizes, so upping the pump will make no difference

15. jonesy

jonesy Registered

so the only way to go is a custom reactor with a 2000lph + pump

16. Ged

Ged Registered

Or a more significant off the shelf one. Nev is using a Deltec one iirc - not sure of the model though. I think he has put the details in his thread. Debs&wayne have bought a custom one, so has Rory, and I am not sure which one Paul bought.

Here's all the threads anyway to have a read of.

http://www.thesaltybox.com/viewtopic.php?f=268&t=15137

http://www.thesaltybox.com/viewtopic.php?f=268&t=15924

http://www.thesaltybox.com/viewtopic.php?f=268&t=15513

17. jonesy

jonesy Registered

ok thank you [001_smile.gif]

18. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i am using the deltec fr509, which is maxed out with 1 litre of the np pellets

the only reason i can use this one is due to it having a larger bore pipe,

if i decide to up my pellets to 1.5 litres , i will go for one of the chippypah reactors i think [thumbup1.gif]

19. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

[blink.gif] Does the mean I was right?? [blink.gif]

20. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Presumably a phosban reactor would work for a smaller tank that needs less pellets in the reactor???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice