1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured My Tank Progress With Bio Pearls

Discussion in 'ULNS Systems' started by Ged, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Ged

Ged Registered

Following on from Nev's thread about the NP Biopellets,

Nev has so far had good success since using them, as in lower test results, and great colouring. I was definitely thinking of trying the NP BioPellets, although after reading through his thread and also researching on the internet, I then found a review for an alternative product, soon to be launched, called Bio Pearls.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/09/03/bio-aquateks-marine-bio-pearls-showcased-dd/

I currently use a Phosban 150 reactor, and also an AquaMedic NR1000 Nitrate Reactor. Both of these products need constant supplies of media / bacterial food etc, and if you add up the cost over a year, it comes to a fair bit of money, for Deniballs and Rowaphos as we all know already.

My plans are to still use the Phosban 150 reactor, but now with the Bio Pearls, instead of RowaPhos, to do more or less the same job at a greatly reduced cost compared as to what I would normally spend over a year anyway. I would also save (although insignificant anyway) a small cost of electricity by not using the Nitrate Reactor, and from what I understand, I would need also to stop using my UV unit as well.

Although initially, the Bio Pearls are more slightly dearer, from what I have read, they should actually do a better job than the NP BioPellets. As well as my own benefit, and for the sake of the hobby, and in turn giving member's on here a headsup, it has to be well worth a punt.

I have spoken to Tony, from Bio Aquatek Limited, who is also a member on here, and I have managed to get some of the Bio Pearls sent for the purpose of this thread ahead of their release on Monday 27th September to the general public. (For the sake of clarity - I did not get these for free).

I believe that TMC are the sole distributor of these in the UK and that people should be able to get their LFS to order these direct from TMC as from next week, or direct from the Bio Aquatek Limited website. I also believe the cost to be approx £75 per litre, against the £55 per litre for the NP BioPellets.

Nev is going to come around to my house tomorrow, with a sample of the NP BioPellets and we will between us do some photographs and some chemistry tests to give people a clearer image of the differering products and the subsequent results. The fact that Nev has helped me so much since my journey into Marines, it is a complete no brainer, not to liase with him, and to compare notes so to speak.

I know in an ideal world, we should both have the same setups to see the true differences etc, but hopefully between mine and Nev's thread, and even Deb&Waynes, we should be able to give members and other reefers a clear list of the pros and cons of both products as well as the overall results over a period of time.

The reason that I have gone down this route, is for the potential cost savings for this hobby, as well as running less equipment, meaning that there is less to actually go wrong, and overall equipment costs are then reduced.

Based on some quick back of a fag packet calculations, by going down this route, I am now roughly £145.97 (after buying the Pearls) per year better off (This is based on me buying one litre, which should easily last 12 months, if not more). Not a lot but that is approx 30 frags, or 64 pints a year better off.

Original Kit and now removed from my setup

Maxjet 1200 Pump - £17.52 electrictiy a year based on 24 hours per day usage.
    Deniballs - 3 packs (Aqua Medic Deniballs 0.8l box) @ £25.49 each - £76.47 per year.
    Nitrate Reactor / Sp3000 dosing pump electric usage - £20.00 per year.
    Rowaphos (approx 250ml per month) @ £35.99kg (approx) - £107.97 per year.

This also assumes that you already have a suitable reactor, and that you also use the same pump as your skimmer, to feed the reactor.

swin likes this.
  2. Neil

Neil Registered

I will be watching this

3. 4head

4head Registered

BLOODY FAVORITISM LOL

4. Neil

Neil Registered

He dose have more posts then you

5. 4head

4head Registered

I was joking , I have a bigger ...........

Tank

6. Ged

Ged Registered

:-:eek:

I wanted the NP BioPellets as soon as I saw Nev's thread, and then reading about them and for the cost savings alone. But, having read the other review, it was then a case of waiting for the Bio Pearls to become available, which I was then offered the chance to get some, slightly earlier.

I know there is a bit of a discussion on the costs between the two items, but if the Pearls are to be believed, (and I have no reason to not believe from what I have read), then it is like comparing a Salifert Phosphate testing kit, against a DD one in my eyes.

Jammy, not favouritism I would say Paul. [005.gif]

7. 4head

4head Registered

Its alright I'll wait a while , my shiney new 3 litre reactor is not here yet anyhow can't wait to get them going though.

8. Ged

Ged Registered

You only have to wait a few days Paul, as from 27th.

It's like Xmas Eve [005.gif]

3 ltrs wow. I am hoping my Phosban Reactor is big enough tbh, as I need roughly 100/150ml per 100 litres, so I am planning on approx 450/500ml of pearls to go in. If not I have another reactor here, which has never been used, so I could try that as well if needed.

9. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Will be interesting to follow this Ged

good luck with the project

10. karnivor

karnivor Registered

Hi all, I supplied Ged with some, to give you guys a chance to do your own comparisons. I hope it will help you in making a decision about which product to buy in the future.

Comparison tests have already been done by my own beta testers, which have been extremely encouraging but like most things that are said by a manufacturer, they are often taken with a pinch of salt.

All I can say for now, is that all the people that have tried both products, want to continue with Bio Pearls.

Have fun, I will try to be around to answer questions where possible, but please bear in mind i'm a busy boy, so you may not get an immediate response.

Tony.

11. 4head

4head Registered

"Comparison tests have already been done by my own beta testers"
    Is that beta than Ged?
    lol

12. karnivor

karnivor Registered

Not getting involved in that one. [ohmy.gif]

13. Ged

Ged Registered

That's why you have to wait til Monday mate, just for your cheek. :-:eek:

14. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

Gonna start updating our thread now our new reactor has arrived. It's huge. Will post a pic of it next to a v2 1000 reactor.

15. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

16. 4head

4head Registered

Is that a 3 litre one?

17. Ged

Ged Registered

That reactor looks great Debs / Wayne.

Hopefully mine will be OK if not it's a PM to Chippy. :-:eek:

18. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

2l :)
    Just need some tubing as the eheim won't fit :(

19. 4head

4head Registered

nice, I ordered a three now thinking it might be bigger than I expected lol. Are you gettin it salty tonight and gettin some pics up?????

20. screwloose

screwloose Registered

need to get baseline tests done too buddy. [thumbup1.gif]

will be nice to see what happens, as you will be running exactly a month behind me.

i don't mind paying the diffference if its like, tunze vs koralia etc.

will be nice to note what happens regarding a bloom stage, coral reactions, skimmer output

i'm a little worried about getting these to fluidise in the 150, as i think the limiting factor will be the inlet/outlet pipework, no matter what pump you use. especially so as the pearls are supposed to be heavier too.

i change from eheim 12-16mm ( green stuff) piping to 1 inch ish pipework on my fr509 to get the better flow, not sure the phosban will take the larger pipework ? therefore could end up being a delayed start to this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice